Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hadrianīs Villa and Villa DEsta close Rome. There are nice hotels/B&B ? How do I get there?

Hadrianīs Villa and Villa DEsta close Rome. There are nice hotels/B&B ? How do I get there?

Sep 1st, 2001, 01:57 PM
Irina

Somebody (Art) sugested me to visit Hadrian's Villa and Villa D'Esta wile in the two days free I have in Rome before starting out tour "per se". Have you been there before? Does any fodor have any tip of nice/not expencive hotelor B&B were wecould stay? Any othere sugestion near Rome?
Many thanks!!!
Irina

Sep 1st, 2001, 02:19 PM
Surlok

Irina,

Both villas and gardens are not far from Rome, hence I haven't heard of any B&B or hotels there, since they are often done as day trips, but there must be some.

If you are doing a search about hotels in these places, beware, it's villa d'Este, not d'Esta.

Surlok

Sep 1st, 2001, 03:40 PM
Diane

You can probably arrange for a daytrip from your hotel in Rome. We had a car a(there were 3 of us) and were staying just outside of Rome having picked my sister up at the airport early in the AM. We drove to Tivoli (it was not a particularly beautiful drive)in the afternoon, had lunch and visited Villa D'Este. Had we gone earlier in the day, we probably could have seen Hadrian's Villa, too, but we were very happy with our half-day trip. Rick Steve's Rome/Italy book(s) give you the bus numbers you can take to make this a totally independent daytrip (w/o tour group), but I don't think a group day tour would be too bad if you are traveling on your own.

Sep 1st, 2001, 03:59 PM
Walter

For directions go to http://twenj.com/romesightsexcurse.htm In Tivoli I got off the Cotral bus at the Largo Garibaldi and then took the orange 4 or 4X bus to Hadrain's Villa. But this bus did stop at the entrance to the Villa d'Este where the driver took his coffee break. I assume it was a regular stop (check at the Tourist Info or ticket booth), this would save you the walk (300m?) back to the Largo Garibaldi. HTH Regards, Walter

Sep 2nd, 2001, 05:32 PM
Leslie

Irina -

In Nov. I am taking a Scala Reale tour booked via the web (www.scalareale.org). Tour guide & driver picks us up at our hotel at 9:00 am, takes us to Tivoli to see Hadrian's Villa, and then a walk thru the gardens of Villa d'Este. Back in Rome for a late lunch (or so they promise). Cost is approx. $400 for 4 of us - in total, not per person. Certainly is a bit pricier than doing it on your own, but it is another option.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 02:17 AM
Steve James

Leslie - you're paying $400 to go to Tivoli?? Gasp!! Let me know next time you're going - I'll be your driver, guide and anything else you want!

Sep 3rd, 2001, 02:47 PM
//-------

During my first trip to Rome in 1997, I visited both Hadrian's Villa & Villa D'Este thru a day tour. I can't remember if it was thru American Express or one of the other companies that provide a bus/guide & pick-up from your hotel. Your hotel in Rome can provide you info on the different companies and where/when they go. These destinations are a great day trip out --- I'd stay in Rome and not bother searching out accommadations there.

Scala Reale has an excellent reputation, however $100 for a day trip was/is out of my price range. Think I paid around $30 for my excursion.

Sep 4th, 2001, 01:13 AM
Steve James

Hello Irina,

The main coach tour operators (Appian, Carrani, Vastours ...) all offer this as a half-day trip for 80.000 LIRE ($35?)
But you can get there easily and cheaply by bus. Personally I think Tivoli merits a full day.

Let me know if I can be of more help ...

Steve