Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Had to cancel credit card used to purchase Alhambra tickets (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/had-to-cancel-credit-card-used-to-purchase-alhambra-tickets-815044/)

four_maccas Nov 20th, 2009 12:08 AM

Had to cancel credit card used to purchase Alhambra tickets

Hoping someone can offer some advice. Purchased tickets to the Alhambra for a visit in January 2010 and today discovered that the card used to purchase the tickets has subsequently been fraudulently used. As a result, had to cancel the card and arrange for a new one to be issued. My question relates to collecting the tickets at the Alhambra.

I know that it is necessary to swipe the cc used to make the purchase when collecting tickets. Does anyone know if it will be okay to swipe the credit card I used to purchase the tickets even though the card has now been cancelled. I will naturally have the confirmation printout and ID when collecting them.

Appreciate any advice offered. Amanda

WillTravel Nov 20th, 2009 12:24 AM

I think that the fact that the card is no longer active will not matter. The point is the number will match. I seem to recall a similar case. The machine does not call home, so to speak. That said - maybe you could talk to an expert about this.

I suppose you could telephone or email to be sure.

Lifeman Nov 20th, 2009 12:26 AM

If your CC used to make the purchase is now cancelled, did the Alhambra tickets get paid for before you cancelled it? Check your statement.

If they were paid for, then just take your confirmation along to the ticket offioe and explain. They'll give you your tickets. If the charge didn't go through, pay again, however as it seems likely that whatever website you used to pay was hacked or misused your details, I'd wait till you go. The queue in January won't be a problem.

Have a great trip, it's certainly worth seeing.

four_maccas Nov 20th, 2009 02:02 AM

Thankyou both very much for your quick responses. Have just been on the phone with the bank after having found another host of fraudulent transactions were made prior to the one I discovered this morning. Yes, the Alhambra tickets have been paid for and we've confirmed with the bank that the payment was a legitimate one so there's no problem there. I'll take the confirmation, ID, cancelled credit card and an explanation to the Alhambra!

Thanks again for your help - it's much appreciated.
Amanda

suec1 Nov 20th, 2009 02:03 AM

Just wondering - do you think that there was a connection between the tickets and the fraud or did the fraud come in from another source?

four_maccas Nov 20th, 2009 02:12 AM

I'm positive the fraud came from another source. We discovered the fraudeulent activity started before the tickets were purchased online.

Alec Nov 20th, 2009 02:55 AM

When you get to Alhambra ticket office, ask one of the helpful 'roving' customer care staff (in blue uniform) and explain you are collecting your pre-booked tickets, but the card used for transaction has been cancelled - they all speak good English. They will direct you to a window away from where reservation-less people are lining up, and they will sort it out for you no problems.

four_maccas Nov 20th, 2009 03:04 AM

Thanks Alec - you've put my mind at rest. Much appreciated.
Amanda

gruezi Nov 20th, 2009 05:53 AM

four -

Also, give yourself plenty of time before your entrance time to pick up the tickets. It is a bit of a walk from the ticket office to the entrance where you need the timed ticket for - quite a walk actually and in the opposite direction. This is esp. tricky if you have a night time admission.

enjoy - I loved this....

gruezi

Alec Nov 20th, 2009 10:03 AM

Yes, allow around 30 min to get from ticket office to the entrance to the Nasrid Palace, just the other side of the Charles V Palace, though it's a downhill walk. If you walk outside the walls, along the paved road where buses and taxis go, it's more like 15 min.

kleroux Nov 22nd, 2009 08:26 AM

If the cc is only to ID the person, you should be able to swipe the old cancelled CC and get your tickets. I'd try that first, and if it didn't work, go to the booth for help.

janisj Nov 22nd, 2009 08:36 AM

"<i>you should be able to swipe the old cancelled CC and get your tickets.</i>"

That probably isn't an option, since the first thing most banks tell you is -- cut up the old card --

You'll be fine - this has happened to me a few times over the years (not at the Alhambra but for museums/trains/theatre tix etc) and it has always worked out after speaking to someone on site. The machines of course won't work, but as mentioned above, there are English speaking agents at the Alhambra who will take care of you.

This is a fairly common situation . . .

four_maccas Nov 23rd, 2009 02:44 AM

thankyou everyone for your replies and advice - I have appreciated it very much.