Notices

Gypsy music in Istanbul

Jan 28th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Gypsy music in Istanbul

Does anyone know where to go to listen to live gypsy or folk music in or near Istanbul? Heading there in July.
Jan 28th, 2014, 09:33 AM

Check for the Turkish names :

"Roman Muzigi" and

"Turk Halk Muzigi"

Turkish folk is rather varied. There is the traditional kind, the popular kind, the modern kind, the fusion kind, etc.

check for a group called "Kardes Turkuler" and another called "Yeni Turkuler" for appearances on the web.

Check Biletix.com for concerts.

The center for gypsy dancing and music was traditionally the "Sulukule" district next to he city walls of Istanbul on the coastal road to the airport, at Yedikule.

Some five years ago the municipality cheated the gypsies out of their centuries old habitat, offering them new condos to replace their old homes and a small amount of money for extra expenses. Most took the money and the promise, spent the money in a blink, sold their rights to the condos and barely managed to squat at some other poor neighborhoods. A vfew stood to their rights and sued the municipality. Although they have won at court, their homes are now regular condos rented mostly to Syrian refugees.

You may wish to visit Yedikule for the Ottoman Dungeons , the new Sulukule and the nearby new semi-gypsy district of Karagumruk, clutching your purse tightly.
Jan 28th, 2014, 07:08 PM
kja

otherchelebi is the expert here and is giving you some great options.

If you are willing to consider something geared to tourists, you might want to check out the Hodjapasha Cultural Center:
http://www.hodjapasha.com
I saw touristy, but nonetheless enjoyable, performances of the sema and various Turkish folk dances, including belly dancing, the night I went there. I reserved in advance for performance in early May; the performances were sold out.
Jan 29th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, 0therchelebi. Will note down the website for tickets. Thanks for the tip on the Yedikule Dungeons. Thanks also for the history. A search on Karagumruk led me to a blogsite called Mediaroma. Let me know if you think of anything else. We have never been to Turkey, and just dipping our toes with a week's stay in the city and staying in an apartment in the Beyoglu district. And thanks to kja for the other website. Had read about the dervish performance, but didn't know of the other programs nor the need to reserve in advance.

Search this Thread