Guy Fawkes Day in London

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 11:29 AM
anne

Guy Fawkes Day in London

Will be in London for Guy Fawkes Day celebration. Londontown.com has a list of events/fireworks planned for that weekend. I noticed that the Primrose Hill and Battersea Park are somewhat near to our hotel(Tube-wise.) Has anyone every been to one of these celebrations and is one location better then the rest? What exactly goes on at these celebrations.Also is it worth our time to go? It sounds like the 4th of July fireworks here in America.

thanks!

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 12:19 PM
mary lewis

can't help with activities but my husband and I flew into London 2 years ago on Guy Fawkes Day - actually late at night and there were fireworks going off all over the place - made for a neat night landing.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 12:24 PM
janis

First - I can't think of an area that is convenient to both Primrose Hill and Battersea Park. Primrose Hill is up near Regent's Park and Battersea is south of the river.

Guy Fawkes night is similar to July 4 but not so widespread. Mainly fireworks.

Of the two locations -- take your pick. Primrose Hill offers a nice view over a lot of London, while Battersea is near the river and will probably shoot the fireworks from the river which should be spectacular.

The best view I ever had for Guy Fawkes was from the top-floor cocktail lounge at the London Hilton. We looked out over the whole of London and actually down on some of the fireworks. I think we saw all or part of 8 different fireworks displays.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 02:11 PM
fiona

there are calls for no firework displays this year in the light of recent events. don't think that it will happen though but you're never sure.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 06:03 AM
urchin

A penny for the Guy? Thank you gov'nr.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 06:08 AM
kate

I'd be surprised and not a little disappointed if some fireworks displays were cancelled. It's the only fewstival we've celebrated continuosly since 1605. Even when Oliver Cromwell banned other festivals like Christmas (for being a pagan festival), we still partied on 5 November.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 07:17 AM
Philip

The year that I went, the park that we were in had some carnival rides and food stands. In addition to the fireworks, they had a huge bonfire in which they burned the effigy of Guy Fawkes. When you are in London pick up a copy of Time Out. They do a great job of listing the events that are going on. Also, wear some warm clothing and sturdy shoes. It was quite muddy the night that I went.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 07:53 AM
sylvia

It's not a bit like 4th July and it IS widespread. Every town and village celebrates it and so do many individual families. Many parties take place in people's private gardens. However if 5th November falls on a weekday the official celebrations will usually take place on the nearest Saturday.
It's officially to commemorate the attempt to blow up Parliament, but the feeling is more of a much earlier fire festival. There's something magical about standing around a blazing fire on a dark miserable November night, watching fireworks, eating parkin and treacle toffee, enjoying the smell of the fire seeing people's faces lit up in the dark etc.
4th July is a jolly festival held in the daylight. Guy Fawkes is much darker.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 07:57 AM
Lindsey

Primrose HIll is by far my favourite location for Bonfire Night - the views across London are wonderful, the fireworks are great and you get to see all the other wonderful displays across the city. Plus it has the added benefit of being surrounded by lovely comfy pubs in which to enjoy post-firework drinks!

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 08:03 AM
tom

Uh - Sylvia -- How do Americans see fireworks in the Daytime???? Yes they do have picnics/parades during the day - but the major events are always fireworks displays and they are definitely AT NIGHT. I don't want to put words in Janices' mouth - but the Guy Fawkes fireworks, street parties and bonfires are very similar to July 4.

The kids who get excited at the fireworks don't care if it celebrates US Independence or The gun Powder Plot - they just like the pretty colours.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Paul

I will also, hopefully, be in London during Guy Fawkes day. For someone in the know. Do children still ask for pennies? Would pennies of the US variety be acceptable. I thought of gettting one or two rolls of 2001 pennies and bringning them along.

Thanks.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 10:48 AM
sylvia

"I don't want to put words in Janices' mouth - but the Guy Fawkes fireworks, street parties and bonfires are very similar to July 4"

Rather a pointless argument, but I have been to 4th July celebrations in New England and although it might have been dusk it wasn't as dark as November in England. The atmosphere was certainly different. Guy Fawkes perhaps could be more closely compared to Halloween with that slight element of scariness about it.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Bev

They may say "penny for the guy" but what they mean is pound coin for the guy would be much more acceptable thankyou very much!Pennies, even though American will probably not go over too well!

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 03:59 AM
Tracy

Hey, here's another listing of fireworks displays:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynami...text_id=420386

I've lived in London for 7 years and have never been asked for a penny for the Guy - still do it in the countryside, though. Don't worry about bringing Lincoln along!

Let's just hope it's a clear night =)
HTH, have fun
t

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 05:14 AM
Davey

Primrose Hill is a fantastic place to go on bonfire night. Wrap up warm and you'll love it. Every city, town, village, local pub has a firework display in Britain at some time around 5th Nov and it's a great laugh. Even if you don't go to an organised one you can see bangers and rockets going off all night (and evry night 2 weeks either side too). Some people just buy a big box and let them off in their back gardens. Watch out for kids chucking mini rockets though!

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 08:21 AM
xxx

What does Guy Fawkes mean????

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 08:39 AM
sylvia

Guy Fawkes was one of the conspirators in the failed plot to blow up the King and Parliament in 1605.
You can read about it at http://www.britannia.com/history/gunpowder1.html
He was caught in the cellars with the gunpowder.