Guided wine tours in Tuscany/Chianti

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending 3 days at Locanda del Amorosa in Sinalunga & then 3 days at Villa Casalecchi in Castellina in Chianti. We will have a car but would like to spend a half day or day with a driver/guide so my husband can indulge & not worry about driving. Any suggestions? Should we do Montelcino on our own & save the driver for Chianti? Any info would be helpful or is it is just easier to wait & arrange things when we get there. Thanks!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 02:55 PM

I highly recommend Luca Garapa of Hillsandroads.com. We did several half day tours of the Chianti area with him, and enjoyed his company very much.

Luca will customize itineraries to suit your interests, and can arrange tours of wineries and private homes where cooking classes/lunches are held.

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 03:15 PM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
I second Weadles's recommendation. Do a search here for Luca and you'll see lots of posters who speak glowingly of him, including myself. We were fortunate enough to spend 1.5 days with him in March of '05.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

That sounds perfect. Perhaps we can meet another couple or two to share the experience (& cost). Is it customary to buy him lunch if we ask for him to arrange that also during the touring hours? Thanks so much for the suggestion!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:48 AM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
As for lunch, it was not part of his fee. We insisted he join us for lunch and also insisted that we pay for his lunch. He was not expecting a free lunch and protested. We bought it anyway. I don't think he was offended.

He also does not expect tips. Many Italians don't. We tipped him after the first day which was exceedingly long. He had gone above and beyond the call of duty. We did not tip him after the second day, a half day. Again, you can do a search here on what others did tipwise for Luca.

As for other couples, I doubt he'd mind altho I'm not sure that's something he arranges for you. Logistically, that could be a little tricky even if you found someone else. You and the others would need to agree on itinerary, timing, etc. Doable but I suspect you'd have to email the others to work everything out. May be more trouble than it's worth.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

You're right, best to just plan for ourselves & see what happens. Thank you for all the good information!
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately Luca is booked. Any other ideas out there?? Thanks
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:33 AM

PeggyE,

I apolgize if a double post appears. There seems to be something wrong with my computer right now. Anyway...

I just returned from Italy, and have an Italian magazine that lists as a travel agency that can provide everything from accomodations in the area to tours and transportation.

Their phone number is: 011-39-055-7879162. E-mail is: [email protected]

I have not used this agency, but thought the info might be helpful.

Two years ago, I also looked into companies called The Accidentaltourist.com, based in Florence, I think, and "ToursbyRoberto.com". You might want to check these out, too, if they are still in business. I doubt very much that they will be as reasonably priced as Luca is, but it's worth a look.

Good luck!
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:35 AM

Sorry- I really AM having computer problems! The name of that Italian travel agency is" FlorenceWeek.com
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I will look into both of these options. I'm kicking myself I didn't e-mail Luca sooner. Oh well, I'm sure we will enjoy whatever happens!
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:35 PM

I found a fantastic company last year
for my own trip,and have also recommended them for my clients( I am in the travel biz), all with great success. They are Verbena Blu Viaggi,a travel agency based in Siena.
Website is www.verbenabluviaggi.com and they offer, among other things an excellent full day Chianti Classico Gastronomy tour at the Castello Verazzano winery, which is usually combined with San Gimignano. The winery tour was truly special as the "guide" /caretaker there cleary
enjoys his job. Franco or Carlotta will likely reply to you, both are very helpful. If you do email them, please tell them you heard about Verbena from their Chicago friend. Good luck !