Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Guest wants to bring gift from London-suggestions?

May 16th, 2003, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

We are having visitors from London England and they want to bring family members here a gift. They have asked if there is anything we would like. I don't want to say anything that would be too costly and would like something we can't get here in Canada - a keepsake of sorts. Do you have any suggestion?
May 16th, 2003, 06:53 AM

I think your safest bet would be to tell them to surprise you. The potential to offend here is great- take the safest route.
May 16th, 2003, 08:47 AM

Is there a 'quote a day' Shakespeare calendar available? I know it's a bit late in the year. I'd also love a London coffee mug with the tube or a Beefeater on it, or a 'Tower' teapot...
May 16th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Anything from the food hall which comes in a Harrod's box or shopping bag (or, just the bag).
May 16th, 2003, 09:44 AM

Here are my suggestions:

A London city mug from Starbucks, a Jamie Oliver cookbook, a sample of English china - a mini tea set maybe? Or perhaps a box of Cadbury chocolates, a British flag, some English pint beer glasses with the official English crown emblem, or any type of English food product (teas, biscuits, jams, etc).
May 16th, 2003, 09:54 AM

Oooh I always love it when our friends from London come to visit, loaded down with goodies that I cannot find here!
If they ask, I tell them, anything from the pharmacy there are moisturizers and body creams that they only sell there, anything from Neals Yard, from Harrods Food Hall ( French Roast Coffee!), Roses chocolates (the kids love em) , now we are hooked on Lush bath bombs, that is always a request
Good thing they are reeeally good friends
May 16th, 2003, 12:29 PM

A BBC audiotape? Of something like The Hitchhiker's Guide?(www.bbcshop.com)
But isn't it your guests' job to think of a present? Aren't they dumping a chore on you by asking you to select the gift? It's not as if there's something essential to life you can't get in Canada!
May 16th, 2003, 03:18 PM

How about a "Mind the Gap" t-shirt? I think you can get them at the National Transportation Museum.
May 17th, 2003, 07:23 AM

~
Any food items from Fortnum & Mason; aren't they the "Queen's grocer"?