Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Guernsey: Any good or is it a great big pile of pants?

Notices

Old Apr 1st, 2008, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bint gets these notions. It's endearing generally, but there are times....

Anyway, she's obviously been watching television unsupervised again (or she's been outside without her hat on again)as she has it in her pretty little head that we should go to Guernsey for a short break.

I have always thought of the Channel Islands as being for people who find the Isle of Wight a bit too racy.

So, given that I have to go (and it has to be Guernsey - not one of the other islands. Notions is notions) what is there to do there? or do I need to take several good books and an ipod?
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 08:51 AM

I walked around much of the island and the thing to see, besides the QUAINT port town, are the cows - lovely cows

and we were based in Jersey and took a short boat ride to Guernsey for the day so Jersey and its cows are an easy component

I really like Guernsey even more than Jersey - bucolic, etc. But yes bring good books and i pod

there are plenty of pubs however
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 09:00 AM

"given that I have to go..."

I hear there is some sort of shrine there where you can be cured of female domination complex (we call it something else over here but given this is a family board...)

Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 09:01 AM

Plenty of pubs, crazy people and wife swapping - according to my friend who lives there.

He goes stir crazy every so often - he gets on the ferry to France with his car so he can drive over 15mph. Other than that he seems to like it.

The food is very good apparantly and they have a gourmet week or something of that nature that he keeps trying to drag me over for.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

wife swapping>>>>

Hmmmm....Do you think I'd get a HDTV plasma screen for mine? I really want one of those.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 09:07 AM

My practice wife and the kids lived there for awhile, and I would visit them. Pal has it exactly right bucolic. When I was there, it reminded me of what England must have been like fifty years before. Charming to a Yank, but perhaps not not for a modern sophisticated Briton such as yourself, CW.

I did have one adventure. Since there was little to do when not with the kids, I walked along the front one evening, where I started talking to a group of locals. They were drinking from a communal plastic milk jug, and offered me my first taste of something they called "Scrumpy". Made at home from apples, they said. One sample led to many.

Guernsey in the morning with four lively children, after a night of overindulgence on Scrumpy, was a ghastly experience!

Old Apr 1st, 2008, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

So where to stay? In town or out with the cows?
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:01 AM

Cows are in town too or on the edge but then everything in Guernsey in my memory was on the edge of town

What's the real reason for your trip to this known smuggling den and money laundering center?
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

What's the real reason for your trip to this known smuggling den and money laundering center?>>>

Wanting a quiet life and conjugal favours.

Is there any of the WWII german stuff left on the island?
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:15 AM

I say David, with references to WIFE swapping and CONJUGAL favours, does this mean you've tied the knot?

Or is this an April Fool?
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:16 AM

Guernsey German Underground Hospital

Guernsey German Underground Hospital, Gold Panners, Dump Diggers and Scuba Divers. The latest news from the world of Treasure ... Digging For Relics of War ...
http://www.detecting.org.uk/html/Gue..._Hospital.html

[PDF] Guernsey Museums & Galleries - 2007 Exhibitions and Events DiaryFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
&Archaeology. Historic Sites. Guernsey has many historic sites including. prehistoric Dolmens, Medieval castles,. Napoleonic forts and relics of the Nazi ...
www.museum.guernsey.net/download/diary-07.pdf

A Foot in Two Countries - New York Times

In Guernsey's German Occupation Museum, we had a glimpse of those harsh years. ... military equipment and incongruous band instruments but also relics of ...
query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990DE4D6113EF934A1575BC0A9669C8B 63

On a day trip when our focus was to walk around the island a bit i did not have time for the Nazi relics that i had heard about
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Nah not married. Never again. I could write a user's guide to the register offices and divorce courts of england. In any case "conjugal rights" sounds better than "bunk-up".

As some bloke said "I'm not getting married again. I'm just going to find a woman who hates me and buy her a house".

Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:18 AM

Or is this an April Fool?

Oh my God have i been had by CW?

50-50 i'd say
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

No i'm serious. I have to go to Guernsey and I want to know about it.

So far I've been told:

Beige cows

pubs

Wife swapping

Which isn't really helping.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:26 AM

Guernsey cows as i know them here and there are rather rust coloured - perhaps because of the high iron content in the water. May naturally be beige however.

As you can see from Googling Guernsey Cows

Breeds of Livestock - Guernsey Cattle
The Isle of Guernsey, a tiny island in the English Channel off the coast of France, is the birthplace of the Guernsey cow. About 960 A.D., besieged by ...
www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/guernsey/ -
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:44 AM

I visited the five Channel Islands (Guernsey, Jersey, Alderney, Sark and Herm) last November, and Guernsey's a good jumping off point for visits to Herm and Sark, which are very different from their larger neighbor -- no cars on Sark or Herm and generally very peaceful hiking. Here's some photos from that trip:

http://tinyurl.com/3bv9ql

I didn't find St. Peter Port, Guernsey's principal city, all that charming.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:44 AM

It is the home of Raymond Evison, who breeds spectacular clematis. I'm not sure of where he stands of wife-swapping, though ...

www.guernsey-clematis.co.uk

Anselm
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 12:28 PM

Hi CW,

think the excitment of a wet sunday afternoon in dundee with better weather. or Eindhoven.

Jersey is rather more fun, unless you're an orphan.

regards, ann
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 01:16 PM

Hi...I know when I was there ( Herm ) a loooong time ago..we went to Herm..and it was a great place for collecting small shells......even if I did not get to take them home with me...My Mom would not let me...but this was sooooo long ago
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 02:22 PM

I went there once as a child, but i can't remember much about it.

Next week's Radio Times has a little insert in the middle from the Guernsey tourist board ( www.visitguernsey.com ). There are apparently Neolithic remains, some WW2 stuff, and the home of Victor Hugo (author of Les Miserables) in St Peter Port can be visited.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information