Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Gucci Handbags in Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/gucci-handbags-in-rome-613450/)

Anna_Issa May 6th, 2006 12:33 PM

Gucci Handbags in Rome

I'll be in Rome in November and was wondering where can I purchase a Gucci handbag? I've read that stores in Via Vennetto carry Gucci, although perhaps are more expensive. Or is Gucci priced the same everywhere?

Please advise. Thanks.

kenderina May 6th, 2006 01:02 PM

Big fashion firms has the same prices everywhere...big prices :)

Traviata May 6th, 2006 01:06 PM

Anna,

Before our last trip to Italy, we visited Gucci near our home to check USA prices...imagine our surprise when we got to Italy to find some of our prices were better in the states...!!

Scarlett May 6th, 2006 01:07 PM

My Gucci bag that we bought in Paris was probably the same price in Europe, but I think it might have been a bit less than a Gucci in the US.
But if it is a real Gucci, you are gonna pay Gucci prices :)

Scarlett May 6th, 2006 01:08 PM

Traviata, we were posting at the same time!
I also think the reason I got a better price than the US was when I bought that bag, we paid in Francs. ~sigh~ oh for those exchange rates again :)

Traviata May 6th, 2006 01:12 PM

Scarlett,

Surely the exchange rate is much to blame, but I have noticed the days of huge bargains because things were bought in Italy and France are over....we saw this many times, and if there was a savings, it was small, and getting smaller every year!!

LoveItaly May 6th, 2006 01:13 PM

Hi anna_Issa, there is the Gucci Store in Rome on Via Condotti you will no doubt want to visit. I would imagine with the strong Euro you may end up paying more than if you purchase in the US but if you check out styles and prices here before you go to Italy you will know whether you want to make a purchase in Rome. Have fun!

Polly_Magoo May 6th, 2006 01:21 PM

You want a Goyard, sweetie. Gucci handbags are over unless you want to look like a maid from the Main Line.

Philly Phat Bag

degas May 6th, 2006 01:26 PM

Where can my LW get a 10E fake Gucci, maybe hot pink or lime green?

Scarlett May 6th, 2006 01:29 PM

Polly, no, never a Phat bag !! LOL
I like the Goyard tote bag..but my new love is a Tods bag..in <font color="orange">Orange :D

</font>

Maire May 6th, 2006 01:34 PM

Polly, I'm sooooooooooo last year. I can't even afford to look at Goyard's website, let alone make a purchase. ;)

Traviata May 6th, 2006 01:35 PM

Scarlett,

In &quot;designspeak&quot; we say &quot;Orange is the new Black&quot;....have fun with it!!

Polly_Magoo May 6th, 2006 01:40 PM

Degas, across from Bloomingdale's on Lexington Ave. in Manhattan, you can buy Little Wifey a pink Prada bag with P-R-A-D-A spelled out in rainbow colors ($12.97). The vedor's name is Jose. He keeps his best merchandise in the trunk of his Yugo parked at the corner of 59th St.

Scarlett May 6th, 2006 02:11 PM

Traviata :) In Scarlett speak, it reminds me of California and Orange Julius .... I have only worn it with black, I am easing into this <i>colo</i> thing ~

Scarlett May 6th, 2006 02:11 PM

<i>colo</i>?? That should have been <i><font color="orange"> color</font></i>

degas May 6th, 2006 02:14 PM

Scarlett, have you been hitting the sauce this early?

cigalechanta May 6th, 2006 02:19 PM

The new Boston Barney's has a Goyard bag section. But I don't like the new line. The originals like the old Vuitton were wonderful. IMHO!

Traviata May 6th, 2006 02:22 PM

Mimi,

My very favorite Goyard piece is the Diptyque candle carrying case...how did I ever live without this ????

cigalechanta May 6th, 2006 02:23 PM

Once at CDG, when I retired, I treated myself to a Herm&eacute;s scarf and it was almost $100 less than here in Boston. Again as Scarlett said, maybe the exchange rate at the time.

thefirstme May 6th, 2006 02:44 PM

Go to Florence one day. That is where Gucci started and I am told there is a little known Gucci outlet just outside of town where you can get real merchandise at good deals.