Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Gubbio or Rimini for day trip from Urbino- no car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like we may be spending 5 days in Urbino this October.

Already have some other excursions planned but have one day that I was thinking of visiting either Rimini or Gubbio.

We will also be spending a week or so probably based in Spello ( but thought that Gubbio would be reached more easily from Urbino than Spello- am I right?)

We will not have a car so will depend on bus and/or train.

Realize that Rimini and Gubbio would be quite different to each other- which place merits a day trip and/or would be easier to organize??

Thanks
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 04:24 AM

I totally loved Gubbio 0 a classic ancient Italian town - Rimini left me wishing I was in Gubbio - oh it had the usual old town center but otherwise was blah - Gubbio was thoroughly ancient - well that's my take at least.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 05:17 AM

How are you getting to Urbino if you don't have a car? I thought that it is quite isolated.

Pat
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 07:19 AM

I took a bus from Urbino to nearby Ancona's train station - there are regular buses serving Urbino - I actually took a bus there from Perugia and returned via Ancona.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Original Poster

Our flight arrives in Rome, spending a couple of days in Rome, as we've been there a couple of times before, then bus runs Rome- Urbino,

Adria bus service is twice a day and departs from Tiburtina (sp?) Station.

Thought this would be the most direct way from Rome- although we could have caught train to Pesaro, then bus from Pesaro to Urbino.

Gubbio does sound appealing- any other experiences with either Gubbio or Rimini?
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 03:58 AM

Rimini might feel deserted in October - isn't it mainly a beach resort for Italians?
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 04:06 AM

I loved both Gubbio and Urbino. I spent a short time in Rimini on the way north and wouldn't recommend it. It did appear to be just a beach resort. Of the three towns I liked Urbino best as Gubbio was just too quiet. Urbino has the palazzo and Dante's house and a small square with restaurants and people out and about at night (although I was there in May, not October).

Why don't you try to get to Ravenna for the mosaics.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 05:23 AM

Ravenna is a great idea, it trumps all three of the others.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 06:27 AM

I've been to both Gubbio and Rimini although not on the same trip. I can't quite imagine what a bus journey from Rome to Urbino would be like as the car journey over the Alpe della Luna made me feel travel-sick due to all the bends. In Rimini we just went to visit the Tempio Malatestiano which was delightful but I was disappointed as the fresco by Piero della Francesca (which we'd gone to see) was difficult to see. I would recommend Ravenna for the amazing mosaics however. Urbino is a whole treat on its own. The Ducal palace is simply amazing and the town is lively because of the University there. Gubbio is very charming but very quiet- almost grave-like.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 08:24 AM

Gubbio is a fantastic, very ancient city that is wonderful to roam around in -- lots of interesting little streets, several palazzos and museums, great shopping if you're interested in ceramics, and the Palazzo Ducale has some great views and important historic finds (such as the Eugubine Tablets which date from 3rd century BC)There's also 1st century BC Roman theatre.

San Francesco, down in the main town where the bus stops, is lovely and there's a shrine to Gubbio's famous wolf which St. Francis tamed in the legend.

And the funicular that runs up the side of Mount Ingino is great fun and there are some fantastic views on the ride up and from the top. Maitai Tom in his report (if you do a search you can find it) has a vivid description of riding the funicular, or as he calls it "the bucket bolts." I've ridden it twice and nothing untoward has happened!

However, I don't know how you can get from Urbino to Gubbio. I heard once that there was a bus connecting the two, but I've not researched that.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

Looks like Gubbio it is! I haven't researched it completely yet but I believe there is a bus that connects Urbino with Gubbio.

Bellini you made a good point about travel sickness- don't know the route but will definitely take travel sickeness medication as I know that too many bends will definitely take their toll on me!! Hopefully the scenery will be worth it.

After Urbino we will take the train from Pesaro to Spello, then after Spello go on to Brindisi, Puglia, so we thought that the bus from Rome to Urbino would offer a different scenic view.

I've seen pictures of the funicular in Gubbio and it looks like a very interesting experience!!

Thanks all for your input.