Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Group to Paris for New Year's (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/group-to-paris-for-new-years-346466/)

PCircles Aug 10th, 2003 04:54 AM

Group to Paris for New Year's

I'm back with more group travel plans!

Some of us want to go to Paris for New Years. I just saw taht flights are in the $500-600 for that time, which is awesome. So, here is my question. Are there any fireworks or special things in Paris for the New year? Something like fireworks in London on the Thames or the Washington Monument in DC.

Thanks for the help and it's good to be back!

withglasses Aug 10th, 2003 05:33 AM

Much like the NY Times Square event, people gather on the Champs Elysées on New Year's Eve to see the fireworks. My friends also liked going to the Trocadéro to look at the Eiffel Tower or going to the Pont des Arts (pedestrian-only bridge spanning the Seine).

Whatever you all decide to do, I'm sure it'll be memorable.

PCircles Aug 10th, 2003 05:54 AM

Thanks! It sounds like lots of fun!

I have been doing research on the board for places to stay, including the apartment option, but there is too much information to process.

Can amyone give me adivce based on the following:

1. Near the Siene
2. In view of the Eiffel Tower (preferably)
3. Not terribly luxurious, but not depressing or dank, either.
4. About $900 for the week?

Thanks again

ira Aug 10th, 2003 06:13 AM

Dear PC,

I am rather surprised that you wrote

>I have been doing research on the board for places to stay, ...but there is too much information to process.<

since you are not a complete newbie.

Get on the stick, kid, and do your homework. [-X

subcon Aug 10th, 2003 06:43 AM

we were in paris for the millenium and again this past new years. the french being somewhat contrary closed the metro system down at 11 on 2000, then this year had it open for free all night?

whatever, i would suggest you definitely book dinner reservations way in advance (particularly a group) as many spots are closed for the holidays or are given over to private parties.

i would also avoid following the crowd from trocadero to the champs if you are even remotely claustrophobic or worried about getting separated from your companions. it is like a river of people and you don't (can't) buck the flow.

Christina Aug 10th, 2003 07:16 AM

Paris is like any major city in that there are people on the street partying on New Year's Eve in the major urban centers. Of course crowds, drunks, rowdiness, etc, are guaranteed with that, but some people don't mind that. I have not been there at that time but know from reading news and other accounts that the govt. is a little inconsistent on the fireworks issue from year to year, often not even announcing much ahead of time if they will take place or not. I think that after the big Millennium to-do, they did not have any fireworks the next year but did the year after that. In fact, I think I read a news story that the govt specifically announced they wouldn't have them every year after the millennium, only once every ten years or something -- but maybe changed their mind. The metro is another inconsistency on that night, but I would not recommend that it's always best to not count on taking public transportation that night and booking a hotel with that in mind.

I know it can get confusing and overwhelming to keep reading over information on a topic, especially if you aren't that familiar with a place, so you just want someone to tell you what to do. There have been quite a few good threads on hotels with views of the Eiffel Tower on here, and that info wouldn't have changed. Here is one thread that is a pretty good summary of the options, I think you could choose from the ones mentioned on it:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...=0&keyword

YOu might find some incredible deal, but I think your budget might be unrealistic for a room that night with view of the Eiffel Tower. A lot of hotels raise their rates specifically for that week in Paris.

There aren't really that many hotels with a view of the Eiffel Tower, so that limits it. There are lots of other threads just on what to do that day -- generally, a lot of people go out to special restaurant sittings that night, which are very expensive and get booked very early.

I think this would be a lot of fun, but you do have to plan ahead for that time period to make it work out.

minimn Aug 10th, 2003 10:08 AM

I was in Paris last New Year's and have an idea that you might consider. I stayed in Montmartre and loved that area for New Year's Eve. Check at www.parishotels.com for Hotel Regyns Montmartre for their rooms with a view on the Eiffel tower for around 100 euros a night. The metro is just outside your door to get to any part of Paris but I recommend staying up on the butte for the big evening. Book your dinner in a cozy bistro (Le Maquis at 69 rue Caulaincourt is a favorite budget spot), then walk to Sacre Coeur for a view of the fireworks over the entire city. Last year, there were fireworks directly over Sacre Coeur and then you could see those being set off at the Eiffel tower, some in Montparnasse and some over by the Bercy area. It was wonderful! A smaller crowd than the mob scene down on the C.E. and a short stroll down the hill to your hotel when the party is over. It's something different and may not be what you had in mind but I loved it!!