Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Group of teens want to visit the Netherlands- what should we do or see?

Aug 21st, 1997, 10:01 AM
Andrews

A group of teens wants to visit the Netherlands over February vacation and are wondering what they should see or do. Any ideas?

Aug 21st, 1997, 04:04 PM
Jim OSullivan

I have been to Europe 3 times and nothing is more exciting than going to Amsterdam. Not only for the obvious reasons. There is a lot to do and see. You can get a Youth Hostel for like 15 bucks a night.

Aug 22nd, 1997, 07:25 AM
Andrews

How would I find out about the hostels? Are there any specific places in Amsterdam that are a must see?

Aug 23rd, 1997, 08:04 AM
Tricia

Hi, I am an American with a father and 1/2 brother in Hollaned- just returned from visiting them. Fell in love with the countryside. Saw sailboats on the canals and it looked as if they were sailing on the grass. We spent two days in Amsterdam and now I can say I have seen it. The canal cruise was nice. Fun shopping at the local bakeries. We also went to an open air museum of old Dutch farms, windmills etc. Also went to another that was all old windmills because these have all been replaced my modern machinery. MY FAVORITE THOUGH WAS DRIVING UP TO HARLINGEN, AND SEEING THE DYKES. THEN IN HARLINGEN WHICH IS A DARLING TOWN, WE TOOK THE FERRY (THE FRIESLAND) OVER TO AN ISLAND CALLED TERSCHELLING. IT IS MADE FOR TEENAGERS ALTHOUGH IT IS MOST POPULAR IN JULY AND AUGUST. TEMPS THEN ARE ABOUT 75 DEGREES. IN THE WINTER TIME THEY HAVE SLEIGHING, RACES ETC. IN ALL OF HOLLAND THEY HAVE ICE SKATING TOURNMENTS ON THE CANALS, WHICH I WOULD LOVE TO SEE. THERE WAS A FAMOUS RACE THAT THEY HIGHLIGHT AT THE OPEN AIR MUSEUM, SHOWING VIDEO FOOTAGE OF IT. ON TERSCHELLING, THEY HAVE YOUTH HOSTELS, CAMPGROUNDS FOR TEENS, BIKE RENTALS, MILES OF BEACHES AND YOU KNOW THERE KIDS CAN DRINK BEER AT AGE 16. WHEN WE WERE THERE WE MET AN AMERICAN SOCCER TEAM THAT WAS HAVING A BALL. I FOUND THE BOARD OF TOURISM FOR TERSHCELLING ON LINE BUT ALSO HAVE A RELATIVE (UNBEKNOWNST TO ME BEFORE I WENT)THAT WORKS FOR THEIR OFFICE ON THE ISLAND. I PICKED UP LOTS OF STUFF. IF YOU NEEDS PHONE NUMBERS ETC LET ME KNOW.

Aug 24th, 1997, 08:24 AM
joei villarama

if you love art, sculpture and nature, you would thouroughly enjoy the hoge velluwe national park which contains the kroller muller museum and a huge huge sculpture garden there are bikes you can use for free to roam around the sprawling area with varying landscapes the netherlands is such a cool, fun, offbeat country wish other countries could learn more from them

Aug 24th, 1997, 10:00 PM
Ronald

See Holland in miniature - Madurodam in Den Haag (the Hague) - it is beautifully done and great fun.

Aug 25th, 1997, 08:08 AM
Tricia

Hi, Tried to find out about the Eleven-City Tour held in Friesland in the winter time. Found one of the professional skaters on-line. However, he said they have to go with mother nature and cannot pre-plan the event. Have some websites for youth hostels in Amsterdam. International Student Center is fax 31 020 6207347 @37,00 guilders per night. Found at http://www.agenda.nl/medialink/amste...otelguide.html. Also the Even Haezer hostel at www.hi.nl/klant/haezer.htm had pictures and everything. Terschelling is www.nbt.hl/map.nl.html
I found these in Yahoo search Engine, typed in youth hostels in the Netherlands. The Tershcelling website is the official Board of Tourism website for Netherlands and has maps, weather, campgrounds etc.
Hope this helps!

Aug 25th, 1997, 03:02 PM
Anna

The AAA book on Europe shows the average high temp in Feb in Netherlands in 41 and low is 34. Hope your teens know what to expect!!

Sep 24th, 1997, 04:00 PM
tricia

sending to the top