I previously asked if I should be concerned about a ground level apartment on the Grand Canal (it is on the same level as the canal), which I'm considering renting for 6 nights the last week of September. Specifically, I asked if I should be concerned about morning noise from boats and potential for flooding. I already received the excellent suggestion that if the fridge is on a platform, that's a sign of potential flooding and I shouldn't rent the place. In the photos I've seen, the fridge is not on a platform, so that's encouraging.
I'd just like to know if anyone has had any other negative experiences or advice specific to ground-level apartments in Venice, especially one situated on a canal. For instance--odors or plumbing issues? Forgive me if this is a ridiculous question--I've never been to Venice!
The apartment I'm considering has its own water door on the Grand Canal, and there appears to be only a tiny foyer separating the water door from the rest of the apartment (no second door betw the foyer and the rest of the apt). But the apartment itself looks lovely (and is not cheap!) I haven't seen any negative reviews of this place on TripAdvisor or elsewhere (other than a minor, administrativey-type complaint), and there are several positive reviews.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Airport Transfer
- 2 1st Birthday Party in Italy questions
- 3 Order of Amalfi visit in October
- 4 10 Days in May: Switzerland Itinerary Help
- 5 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 6 5 nights in Spain, need help!
- 7 Drive from Paris to Mont St Michael
- 8 Again, onboard robbery attempts on trains leaving Milano Centrale station
- 9 Which Aran Island??
- 10 Easter Week in Italy
- 11 Getting to FCO from Rome
- 12 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 13 Mifi rentals for Portugal
- 14 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 15 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 16 Moscow Hotels
- 17 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 18 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 19 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 20 Dublin to Donegal
- 21 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 22 "Occupied" TV series: On location in Oslo
- 23 Cotswold - great food & ambience for lunch!
- 24 Barcelona tour option help please
- 25 New Years in France