Grotto of Pan Villa Reale near Lucca

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read about the Villa Reale outside of Lucca where only the gardens are open. Has anyone visited the grotto of Pan. It sounds delightful. We are staying in Lucca for two days and want to wander around the city but perhaps take a drive out to this villa. Just wondered if anyone has been or knows much about it. Any other tips (restaurants, etc.) for Lucca would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old May 29th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

to the top
Old May 30th, 2004, 07:01 AM

This place is fantastic! Although our tour guide spoke only italian, we could get the jist of what he was saying. The grotto is amazing with the water jets etc. I wont give away the neat trick the tour guide plays on the tourists, but the grounds are just beautiful. It was much better that the Boboli (sp?) gardens in Florence. Check times of tours. Also there are other Villas around there to see, but the Villa Real is the best one.
Also try to drive up to Barga for the view if it is a nice day. Pass up Lucca de Bagna etc. Not worth the time.
Old May 30th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

edfran - I am so glad someone has been to the Villa Reale. It sounded so intriguing in the guide book. We are staying at the B&B Romantica outside the walls of Lucca. How long will it take us to get to Villa Reale? We have a car with easy parking. About how much time was the tour? We are planning our time very tightly but I know this would be a highlight!!
KarinW
Old May 31st, 2004, 11:25 AM

the tour only takes an hour. The drive to there is short (15 min?).
The brochure says closed Lunedi (Monday?) and tours begin at 10,11,12,15,16,17,18 hours. Guided tours only. As I remember it was relatively cheap ($4 or $5 dollars), plus a tip for the guide.
By the way, eat at San Antonio de Bucca in Lucca for dinner. Can't go wrong. If you do go to Barga, pack a lunch, meals are horrible up there!
Enjoy!