Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Grosse Scheidegg to First (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/grosse-scheidegg-to-first-488848/)

bob_brown Dec 2nd, 2004 10:43 AM

Grosse Scheidegg to First

If you have walked the trail between Grosse Scheidegg and the gondola station at First, please fill me in on the details. Length, trail conditions, time you took, and any other pertinent facts that might influence my decision.

vedette Dec 2nd, 2004 11:16 AM

It's been awhile, but the trail is flat and well-maintained. There is/was a "Y" which isn't marked. Confusing but it turns out both lead to First. I don't think it is longer than a couple of hours at most. Beautiful on a nice day.

I have led hiking tours in that area, if you want additional ideas, let me know.

If you come down the First lift, you end up in Grindelwald. There are better places to stay, and you can get to them from Grindelwald by train.

bob_brown Dec 2nd, 2004 11:26 AM

Yes, please. Give me another idea for a hike originating near the restaurant at Grosse Scheidegg. I have done the Faulhorn in years past.

We had lunch at the restaurant last year, but then headed down with the post bus.

vedette Dec 2nd, 2004 11:44 AM

Well, if you have to start at Grosse Scheidegg, your options are pretty limited. You could walk down to Grindelwald, or go down the other way to Meiringen, but that must be the route you took on the postal bus. Where are you trying to get to, i.e. where are you staying? Assume it must be Meiringen or Grindelwald. Have you considered Wengen?

bob_brown Dec 2nd, 2004 02:10 PM

We normally rent an apartment in Lauterbrunnen. Last year because I was a little gimpy from surgery we were limited.
We rode the post bus to the restaurant and enjoyed the view for a few hours.

I did not know if there were some other destinations in the immediate area.

I can always do more on the Eiger Northwand trail or from the Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg.

vedette Dec 2nd, 2004 03:01 PM

I now realize you are not a neophyte at all. I don't have much to add. If you are really ambitious, you can take the first morning train up to Schynigge Platte, then the all-day hike to First. If you take the Eiger trail down to Alpiglen, the restaurant there is nice. Enjoy.

bob_brown Dec 2nd, 2004 06:55 PM

I am a neophyte at Grosse Scheidegg.
I only rode up and back last year.
Hence the question. I knew I could not hike last year because of surgery, so I did not really look at the trail signs when we were at Grosse Scheidegg. I know nothing about prospective destinations other than First.

I am hoping my surgical repair job is healed enough by June to let me start hiking again.

Right now, I hobble rather than hike.

vedette Dec 2nd, 2004 09:11 PM

Okay, the Eiger trail is lovely, the trail from the top of the Mannlichen lift to Kleine Scheidegg is also lovely, and flat. Another idea: take the funicular up from Lauterbrunnen, then the level trail to Murren. From Murren you can take the lift up to Schilthorn (only worth it on a clear day) or down to the valley floor at Stechelberg. From there you can catch the bus back to Lauterbrunnen. Be sure to go to Wengen if you have not already. Train only from Lauterbrunnen, no cars in Wengen; you can hike up to Wengen, but it is a grind. If the weather is perfect, a trip to Schynigge Platte is fabulous. You take the train from Lauterbrunnen back towards Interlaken, then catch the mountain train at Wilderswil (as I recall).

Much farther north, I can heartily recommend going to Rigi, if it is clear. But you would probably want to spend the night. Nice hotel: Edelweiss at Rigi-Staffelhohe. Excellent cooking, unless things have changed. Ask for a south-facing room in the newer building.

dickv2 Dec 3rd, 2004 07:10 AM

This hike is listed in Alspachs' Berneroberland at 2 hours and an easy walk. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..