Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Grindelwald: Hotel Bel Air Eden, Hotel Tschuggen or other similar hotel???

Old Aug 21st, 2010, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whew - planning 17 days in Europe! I'm trying so hard to stay in budget, but it's not easy. For the first part of our trip, we'll be in Switzerland. We've stayed in Lauterbrunnen before, but never got over to Grindelwald so we though we'd do well to base ourselves there to be close to the First and Pfistegg cable cars. I've been checking Wengen, but it seems to be more expensive in general so we're thinking of saving that for the next time when we are there without kids!

Anyway, I've been checking some smaller hotels in Grindelwald and came up with family rooms in Bel Air Eden and Tschuggen for around 250 - 280 SFr per night including breakfast. Bel Air Eden is right by the train station, good for when we have a very early train to leave, Tschuggen is about a 5 minute walk. Don't know if that is up a hill or not. Has anyone ever stayed in either of these? Any comments, good or bad? Other similar suggestions?

I did also consider the Bernerhof in Wengen, but the pictures don't look as nice. If anyone loves that place let me know - I could reconsider.

It does seem that the apartments I've looked at are more expensive than this and don't include breakfast, so since we will be out of the room most of the day, we thought we should consider something along these lines, especially since the view from either sounds lovely.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 05:53 PM

Hello kwren

Either looks great to me! You won't have any trouble walking to either with your suitcases as the main part of town is fairly flat. If you choose the Bel Air Eden, don't even worry about noise from the train as they are really very quiet. They kind of just roll into the station.

Happy travels!
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 06:19 PM

We were just there and stayed in Lauterbrunnen. As beautiful as it was, we ended up spending more time in Grindelwald. The kids really loved Grindelwald. There is so much to do there, with First, the Pfingstegg rodelbahn, the sports center and the pizza at Uncle Tom's Cabin. Try paragliding from First. It's AWESOME!
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

We also want to try the Trottibikes! This is exactly why I thought Grindelwald would be best for us...so much to do that the kids would enjoy - and we didn't get to go on the cable car from Mannlichen to Grindelwald last time. Want to to that and hike to Kleine Scheidigg.

TravMimi - did you have a rail pass and did it cover the 3 cable cars in Grindelwald? I'm not sure which pass to buy! If you have some tips I'd love to hear them. What is in the sports center? Now I hope we'll have enough time for everything - at least we're not doing the Jungfrau and Schilthorn this time.

Swisshiker - I didn't remember the trains were quiet so that's very helpful. The Bel Air has a family room with a double bed and 2 bunks so we are leaning towards that one.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 07:15 AM

kwren - I found the "pass" system such a Rubik's cube of combinations, that I just ended up getting half fare cards at Zurich Airport. We then purchased a Jungfrau Railways 6 day pass in Lauterbrunnen.

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/desktopdef.../172_read-696/

The pass was CHF 150. It also gives you 1/2 off on the Eigergletscher-Jungfraujoch section if you decide to go.

The trottibikes are a great way to come down from First. Don't forget the First flyer!!! You can combine First Flyer discount ticket with the cable car ticket up to First. Watch for that. Otherwise the First Flyer is CHF 25.

The sports center is right in the center of Grindelwald. It has fun and easy indoor rope climbing.

http://www.indoorseilpark.ch/en/park...estridge.html#
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 11:58 AM

There's also an ice rink and an internet cafe inside the sports center.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 06:48 AM

I was just in Grindelwald and it was so quaint.Take the train to the tram station and go up to the top of Europe. Beautiful scenery and at the halfway point you can transfer down to Wengen.Not as much to do there for the kids.At the transfer stop there is a restaurant, playground and cows wandering about.Scenery to die for!