Grindelwald & Zurich hotel report

Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Grindelwald & Zurich hotel report

This is my impression of two hotels my husband and I stayed in on a recent trip to Switzerland, 9/06. I always use this site for others' impressions and felt I should "pay back."
Grindelwald is a beautiful alpine village about a 1/2 hour train ride from Interlaken. It is a summer and winter resort. We stayed in the Sun Star Hotel with conference rates (220 SF for a double including a very large breakfast). It is a large spa hotel with excellent accomodations and wonderful views of the mountains. Our room had a living room, bedroom, private bath, large walk out balconey, and small kitchen (this can be handy as the village is very pricey). Hint: book ahead and ask for a room with the mountain/valley view (worth the extra money); there are daily Japanese bus tour groups that use this hotel.
Zurich: we stayed three nights at the Hotel Bristol, located 10 minutes walk from the train station and the beginning of Old Town, Right bank. As others have reported, this is a bare-bones hotel, but acceptable. We had a small double room, including small breakfast for 205 SF per night. The bedroom, with private bath was very small (like a 12 x 12 bedroom in a house). The hotel's positives are that it is clean and well located; Zurich is a town to walk in. Hint: this is a very pricey city (a bowl of soup is 10 SF (about $8.00). One can have a reduced price lunch buffet at the department stores. For train travel, buy a 1/2 price visitor's ticket for 100 sf, this can be done when there. Then all travel by any means is half price. This can reduce overall costs, a good benefit.
I hope someone finds this report useful, have a great trip, Switzerland is wonderful and they treat Americans well. (See 2nd report on Beijing, China).
Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the report.

SFr. 10.-- is a lot for a bowl of soup. I wouldn't pay for that either unless it was a gulasch or a Bündnergerstesuppe. These are meals within themselves.

Switzerland (and Europe) treats ALL tourists well. We try not to differentiate according to origin.

To flip the coin, many Swiss won't go to the USA until another President gets elected. Most are hoping for Mrs. Clinton.

So USA: Get ready for a flood of Swiss tourists after the elections! (This might lessen the amount of Swiss tourists going to Canada.)
Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Dear Schuler
Thank you for your response. I agree that all of Europe treats visitors well, it is a joy to visit there. I do agree with your comments about the President. When I commented to our Swiss conference host, and a German, space scientists, that the Swiss seemed to like Americans, they said "not really, they are nice because you are a tourist. Unfortunately, their Swiss friends tend to dislike Americans as a whole because of the currently polical problems." We would have never known this because no one spoke of politics to us. It is too bad there is this impression of Americans because the majority of us do not agree with the President's behavior and war-like attitude; he will not be voted in again.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:07 AM

My goodness, that must have been quite a conference. Your host's comments are quite true.

Thanks for your nice and honest reply.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
Neopolitan

"It is too bad there is this impression of Americans because the majority of us do not agree with the President's behavior and war-like attitude; he will not be voted in again."

Ummmm. It's not a minor detail that by law he cannot run again, so it is a moot point about not being relected.

Sep 23rd, 2006, 10:00 AM

>Unfortunately, their Swiss friends tend to dislike Americans as a whole because of the currently polical problems.

Usually it is the classical attitude "I don't like XXXians as a whole, EXCEPT the ones I know personally" - works with Americans, Germans, British, French and whatever. I think it is much easier to dislike an abstract conception than actual live, talking people in front of you. Most Europeans (as probably most of the rest of the world), including those who say they don't like Americans, will not extend this dislike to people they know (even though these are Americans) as soon as the latter stop being an abstract conception and become real persons.