Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Greyhound Bus driver has throught slit while driving. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/greyhound-bus-driver-has-throught-slit-while-driving-193707/)

Art Oct 3rd, 2001 04:53 AM

Greyhound Bus driver has throught slit while driving.

A Greyhound bus driver had his throught slit while driving in Kentucky this morning causong a crash with 10 people dead. I think that all transportation companys must improve their security. <BR>Art <BR>

Vita Oct 3rd, 2001 04:58 AM

Here's the story: <BR> <BR>http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/10/03/bus.crash/index.html <BR> <BR>It doesn't mention whether this is a terrorist act.

Fran Oct 3rd, 2001 05:10 AM

I heard the guy with the knife was an Arab, here we go again!

Newsie Oct 3rd, 2001 05:15 AM

The bus was not in Kentucky. It had left Nashville, TN and was heading southeast to Chatanooga, crashing on I-24 in Manchester TN. The route had originally began in Chicago, IL. On another scary note, an annoucement was made this morning in Chicago that extra security measures including several 4000 pound concrete barrieres had been added to the Sears TOwer overnight by the FBI. Are they worried about another attack here? And for Fran, if you don't know for sure or didn't see or hear it on the news, please don't start rumors about the bus attack being by an arab, you are just promoting the dislike and hate from americans!

Chicken Little Oct 3rd, 2001 05:18 AM

Please do not post info on this site until you have the facts correct! This is how the panic starts. Lets all keep our composure and not start rumors.

Cherie Oct 3rd, 2001 06:06 AM

I heard on the news it was an Arab with the knife also, can we trust the news?

abc Oct 3rd, 2001 06:10 AM

I have not heard anyone say it was an Arab. In fact, if you go to the CNN website they don't even have a description of who did it. They are saying that it does not appear to be a terrorist attack. Just some crazy. Maybe that will change, but until then, calm down people!

xxx Oct 3rd, 2001 06:10 AM

Can we trust the news? Well, it's a whole lot more reliable than the gossip and rumours on the internet. Did anyone else read the article about the "search for intelligent life" on the internet in the Sunday New York Times a couple weeks ago?

Laura Oct 3rd, 2001 06:25 AM

According to the Associated Press, the man who attacked the driver holds a Croation identity card....see <BR> <BR>http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/2001..._crash_19.html

elvira Oct 3rd, 2001 06:41 AM

If I'm not mistaken, busses have been targets of hijackings and other acts of violence for years (about the same numer as airplane hijackings); random and rare, they aren't totally new. <BR> <BR>All of a sudden we've realized we're under attack - but we have been for many years, by our own citizens. It just looks more sinister now. <BR> <BR>msnbc.com has some of the story, as far as I can tell, just facts, and they are very few at this point. <BR> <BR>

igor Oct 3rd, 2001 06:48 AM

Here is the story as it was reported by <BR>the Philadelphia's newspaper: <BR>U.S. Justice Department spokeswoman Susan Dryden said that it's too early to tell whether the accident was terrorist-related, but that the agency didn't believe so. <BR> <BR>Dryden said the man who caused the crash survived, contradicting a report from the Coffee County Sheriff's Department that he had died. Dryden said the man holds a Croatian identification card, although it was unclear if the ID was a passport. <BR> <BR>So, the guy was neither our citizen nor an Arab. He is the Muslim nevertheless.

elvira Oct 3rd, 2001 06:50 AM

How do the authorities know he's Muslim?

Huh Oct 3rd, 2001 06:51 AM

"So, the guy was neither our citizen nor an Arab. He is the Muslim nevertheless." <BR> <BR>Are all Croatians Muslims? I think not.

Joanne Oct 3rd, 2001 06:52 AM

And how do you know he was a Muslim? According to Yahoo's factbook, Croatia is less than one percent Muslim, and mostly Christian. <BR> <BR>http://education.yahoo.com/reference...hr/popula.html

igor Oct 3rd, 2001 06:58 AM

I am sorry for inferring that the guy <BR>was a Muslim from the information about <BR>his passport. I must have confused Croatia with another former part of Yugoslavia. <BR>

Ivan Oct 3rd, 2001 08:12 AM

<BR>Art <BR> <BR>On what art of the body is the throught located? <BR> <BR>

Vlad Oct 3rd, 2001 08:35 AM

Ivan: the throat is in the neck, which holds up the head, which is what everyone else who read this thread managed to use to get by a simple spelling error. Did you lose yours somewhere?

Mavis Oct 3rd, 2001 09:47 AM

Listened to interview with doctor who attended to bus driver. He was the one who said that the driver was from the Middle East and that he used a razor or boxcutter to cut him, that's how that part of the story got started. Once police searched body discovered Croatian passport, although no mention whether Muslim or not. Demonstrates how underneath it all we are still very nervous.

Rosenatti Oct 3rd, 2001 11:07 AM

I am so, so sick and tired of the ignorant anti-Arab and anti-Muslim racism that keeps popping up on this board. I'm hoping it's just the work of isolated nut cases trolling through every forum they can find to spread their poison. Because if this is the attitude of Fodors readers who are seriously contemplating trips abroad.... I dunno. Just makes me shudder.

Carol Oct 3rd, 2001 11:40 AM

I live in Nashville, the closest major town to this mess. <BR> <BR>As of now the local news (which is just camped out at the site, the hospital and the Greyhound station!) has not indicated much about the assailant. <BR> <BR>My personal fav came from the woman on her cell phone who was on the bus. "He looked like a terrorist" Wonder what that means? Of course in hindsight I am sure he looked like a terrorist. <BR> <BR>However, the media is indicating this does not appear to be a organized terrorism attack which makes sense. I mean the bus crash was in the middle of nowhere. If you really wanted to do damage why not wait and crash the bus in Atlanta where you can take out some people!