Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Greve or Castellina in Chianti (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/greve-or-castellina-in-chianti-207866/)

Dorothy Nov 16th, 2001 02:59 PM

Greve or Castellina in Chianti

Need some help. Cant decide on which place to stay. Could I get some input on both places and suggestions where to stay in both places as well. We'll be staying 3 nights in this area then 2 nights in Pienza and then off to the Almafi coast for 3 nights. Moderate in price nad romantic as we will be getting engaged when we get there. Many thanks to all you Fodorites.

Dean Nov 16th, 2001 03:08 PM

Having spent lots of time in Castellina I can say stay there. You are in the middle of everywhere (Volterra, San Gim, Siena, All the towns on the way to Greve on the Chiantichiagna, Radda etc.) Castellina is a sleepy town that, while lots of tourists are there, has a more rural feel. Pluse the countryside is beautiful. Greve is more industrialized and a little on the grim side. It is closer to Florence but farther away from most of the palces I named than Castellina is. Plus the best Gelato I have ever had in Italy is at Antica Delezia in Castellina.

steve Nov 16th, 2001 04:44 PM

Castellina is more central to short trips such as Radda or San Gim. Greve is a nice stopping pooint on the drive. When we were there, the piazza was full of kids with a volleyball tournament- what a lot of fun to watch! Greve also has a nice wine festival in early-mid September. Greve feels more suburban, where as Castellina makes you feel like you're out in the country. Radda is even more scenic, but a little out of the way. I recommend lunch in Greve and staying around Castellina.

Elsa Nov 16th, 2001 05:47 PM

We were disappointed in Greve. Maybe it was a mess b/c the outdoor market had just finished up, but I wouldn't bother with it. It's on the "wine trail" so just passing through would be good enough - IMHO. Castellina was a "cute" little town.

ellen Nov 16th, 2001 06:54 PM

Here's another vote for Castellina.

Dorothy Nov 17th, 2001 05:47 AM

Dean, any suggestions where to stay in Castellina??

christina Nov 18th, 2001 01:21 AM

ciao dorothy<BR><BR>greve is nice, but to stay for some nights castellina is nicer and does have more charm. i live close to greve and can give you this hints, if you pass by:<BR><BR>- eat your lunch at "nerbone", on the place (left side looking from the cityhall to the church), he's closed on tuesday. his food is delicious, carlo the owner cook by himself and you find real good tuscan kitchen. he's allways plenty of people, even italians.<BR><BR>- if you stop on a saturday, there's the local market (mentioned by elsa) you can find everything there. important is, it ends at 1.00 p.m. so get ready to have a table before that. after - let's say till 2 - 2.30 - there's a big mess on the place (and in the trattorias, bars, osterias) because everything have to be cleaned up.<BR><BR>- shop under the arches in greve, you can find a lot of nice things.<BR><BR>- after or before you stop at greve, don't forgett to drive up to montefioralle. driving from florence to gereve it's before the center on your right side. there's an esso gasoline station, there you turn right and then you follow the signs to montefioralle. it's one of the best preserved medival fortess and very nice to walk in- and around it. (within 1 minute you could walk inside the wall from your car back to your car). <BR><BR>- stop at gelateria prima o poi in greve, it's one of the best gelatos around florence (during wintertime they are only open saturday and sunday, mostly because locals go and eat gelato). the gelateria is on the street after the coop supermarket in greve.<BR><BR>have a good time!<BR><BR>tanti saluti<BR><BR>christina

Eli Nov 18th, 2001 02:48 AM

To Christina: sorry for the confusion, but where is "nerbone" exactly, Greve or Castellina?<BR>Along the same line, could you please comment about the restaurant of the Mezzei winery in Fonterutoli 4 km south of Castellina? I once stopped there to buy excellent wine - but it was too late to eat...

christina Nov 18th, 2001 11:50 AM

ciao eli<BR><BR>frankly i don't have a clue about the mezzei winery, sorry! i know other ones. Nerbone is in greve in chianti. the center is actually the marketplace, built up on the old etruscan town which once was there. and is triangle shaped. castellina is a "real" small spot and does have different narrow streets inside. <BR><BR>if you want to know more, don't hesitate to ask.<BR><BR>tanti saluti<BR><BR>christina

Eileen Nov 18th, 2001 05:25 PM

We stayed at Palazzo Squarcialupi in Castellina - a great location right in town. We had a lovely suite at a very reasonable rate and the breakfast was wonderful. I highly recommend it.

Dean Nov 19th, 2001 04:13 PM

Dorthy: On where to stay in Castellina, we stay with a friend so we have no suggestions on places to stay. <BR><BR>Eli: On the Mazzei winery, that is castello di fonterutoli in the hamlet of Fonterutolo a few Km. shouth of Castellina. The restaurant is really quite good but very rustic. We ahd a great meal there for not a lot of money. It was raining and the lights went out several times. The food is very typical of the area, well prepared and very well priced. DInner for 2 was under L100,000. Plus you can drink the wines of Fonterutoli at great prices.<BR><BR>

Sherry Nov 19th, 2001 04:49 PM

I didn't ask the original question, but am happy with the responses. I just made reservations outside of Castellina. I am really looking forward to it.

dorothy Nov 20th, 2001 04:33 PM

Thanks for all the information. Eileen could you tell me more about Palazzo Squarcialupi. It looks nice on the web.Does it have good views? Is there a resturant there? Also looking at Hotel Bellvedere di San Leneno has anyone stayed there?? Thanks!