Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Greenwich (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/greenwich-1703722/)

tidy Dec 9th, 2021 04:46 AM

Greenwich

We are traveling to London for a few days after Christmas. We have been there a few times before so are looking at new options. It looks as though there is quite a bit in Greenwich: Cutty Sark, The Painted Hall and Maritime Museum, Royal Observatory and Queens's House. Any thoughts or suggestions. Is there a particular order that is best to visit these sites and about how much time is usually spent. Are they sites that you would recommend. We may take the boat to get there. thank you in advance for your help.

janisj Dec 9th, 2021 05:49 AM

A lot may depend on the weather the day you visit. Hiking up to the Royal Observatory is great on a nice or even tolerably decent day. But with rain blowing sideways - not so much.

If you do go up to the Observatory I'd give the whole visit at least 4 hours but more if you visit the market (not a Borough Market by any means) and/or have a pub lunch. I'd leave the decision re a boat trip til the day - again depending on the weather. If its decent-ish you could take the boat one direction, walk under the river and take he DLR the other direction.

bilboburgler Dec 9th, 2021 06:46 AM

as janisj says it depends on the weather. The walk under the river is "interesting" and you can walk up the light rail system at Mudshoot station or further north getting a look at Canary Wharfe.

tidy Dec 9th, 2021 07:33 AM

janis, when you say to plan whole 4 hours for the whole visit, does that include cutty, painted hall etc? Also, is the boat open ?,

janisj Dec 9th, 2021 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by tidy (Post 17312562)
janis, when you say to plan whole 4 hours for the whole visit, does that include cutty, painted hall etc? Also, is the boat open ?,

IMO 3 or 4 hours would be enough time for the Cutty Sark, the Painted Hall, the Queen's House, a high level exploration of the Maritime museum and a quick bite to eat. Adding time for the Observatory, more time in the Maritime Museum, a full on lunch, the market, and Greenwich will easily take 4+ hours to all day depending on your interests/mobility/endurance ;)

Which boat -- do you mean the Cutty Sark? If so, I didn't visit Greenwich this trip but the website indicates the normal hours 10-5 daily

PatrickLondon Dec 9th, 2021 08:13 AM

Or do you mean the boat ride to or from Greenwich? You've got two options: with the slower cruise boats, you get a commentary and some have an open upper deck for photo opportunities, or there's the faster Clipper riverbuses, which are mostly enclosed but a certain amount of semi-open seating at the rear.

Personally, I'd go one way by boat, and the other by DLR: but don't miss the view of Greenwich from the Island Gardens on the north bank.

tidy Dec 10th, 2021 08:36 AM

thank you for your help. Now I just need to get to London, test negative and then make a reservation .