Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Green Pass? For Travel in Italy in late fall? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/green-pass-for-travel-in-italy-in-late-fall-1700005/)

ekscrunchy Aug 28th, 2021 02:32 AM

Green Pass? For Travel in Italy in late fall?

Can someone explain to me how my partner and myself can get a Green Pass for travel to Italy? We are both fully vaccinated in the US and are US citizens.

We have postponed Sicily trip twice now and hope to go in late October for about 2.5 weeks, beginning in Catania and including Ragusa before driving along southern coast, then to Trapani and perhaps Scopello and home from Palermo.....

Is procedure for Spain similar to that of Italy??

whitehall Aug 28th, 2021 04:24 AM

I am in Umbria for a month. At the present time, the official green pass is not available to US citizens. However, the US CDC vaccine certificate is considered the equivalent under current law. This means your CDC certificate (along with EU PLF) allows entry into Italy. As I posted elsewhere, airlines will scrutinize this. In Rome, there were no checks and, in fact, we had zero human contact even for Passport control (all automated and very quick). Your "green pass" to get into museums and restaurants is also your CDC card. You may want to pay particular attention to changes, depending on where the pandemic is headed in the fall. All rules are regularly monitored for possible changes. In Sicily, this week, due to a surge there with the pandemic and hospitalizations, they will go to yellow level, which, among other things, as I understand, will require that masks also be worn outside. Watch for the possibility that further restrictions (quarantine and/or testing) may be placed on travel by US citizens as early as next week, due to the worsening pandemic in US.

Aramis Aug 29th, 2021 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy (Post 17278523)
Can someone explain to me how my partner and myself can get a Green Pass for travel to Italy? We are both fully vaccinated in the US and are US citizens.

We have postponed Sicily trip twice now and hope to go in late October for about 2.5 weeks, beginning in Catania and including Ragusa before driving along southern coast, then to Trapani and perhaps Scopello and home from Palermo.....

Is procedure for Spain similar to that of Italy??

The official Green Pass is, currently, only available to EU residents. Proof of vaccination (equivalent to EU approved protocols) in either digital or paper form is considered as equivalent to a Green pass, as is a negiative Antigen test not more than 48 hours old, until the end of September (last I read). I am still looking to see if the new Italian entry requirements have extended that to October now, or if it still remains in place, until it doesn't. The ultimate goal is to have some sort of international vaccine passport recognition system in place but until the EU and the rest of the worlds "systems" can "talk" to each other and agree on sharing digital protocols, non-EU residents use whatever proof of vaccination they have their own country and hope that it complies with Italy's ongoing entry requirements.

We are flying to Rom on the 17th (from Canada), and I am not worried about the country level approval (will have proof of vaccination and test), I am more concerned about individual facilities (restaurants, museums, transport, etc) accepting the paper documents put in front of them. One never knows when one will encounter an exceedingly officious individual who takes a different view of the piece of paper. I don't want to have to resort to the alternative of having a nasal swab completed every 2nd day for 2 weeks............

Aramis Aug 29th, 2021 12:47 PM

Since we are on the Green Pass issue. Does anyone have any real life experience as to how non-EU proof of vaccination is being accepted as a green Pass equivalent, on the ground, in Italy?

Thanks,

whitehall Aug 30th, 2021 10:00 AM

My on the ground report is that restaurants and museums are happy for our business, and we have seen no problems with our vaccination certificates. There were initial reports of issues from some restaurants, faced with hefty penalties, and confusion. over the rules. We saw some museums and restaurants, including McDonald's, taking photos of vaccine certificates when someone did not have the official green card QR code. We talked to two Canadian women in Rome who had no problems as well. We still haven't seen anyone in a week who appears to be American. Right now, some restaurants are offering outside dining only, and some have made arrangements for new or expanded outside dining. Today, in Assisi, we went to a museum that simply looked at our vaccine certificates from the US CDC and said "Moderna, good, thank you" and handed them back. Of course, today the EU recommended further restrictions, so you will have to continue to pay attention.

SusanG Aug 30th, 2021 11:31 AM

I read this article, but am not sure if it is something Americans can do or not:

https://www.wantedinrome.com/news/ho...-in-italy.html

In the Italian article (noted in this article, the translation says "For Italian citizens vaccinated in other countries." And here's another recent article:

https://www.afar.com/magazine/how-ca...ccine-passport

I think I will sign up for some of the Vaccine Passports the US is working on and bring my CDC card and copies of everything (obviously)

SusanG Aug 30th, 2021 11:35 AM

Also....re this: I am more concerned about individual facilities (restaurants, museums, transport, etc) accepting the paper documents put in front of them. One never knows when one will encounter an exceedingly officious individual who takes a different view of the piece of paper. I don't want to have to resort to the alternative of having a nasal swab completed every 2nd day for 2 weeks............

I think we just have to "pack our patience," as everyone says and be prepared this could happen at anytime.

whitehall Aug 30th, 2021 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by SusanG (Post 17279512)
I read this article, but am not sure if it is something Americans can do or not:

https://www.wantedinrome.com/news/ho...-in-italy.html

In the Italian article (noted in this article, the translation says "For Italian citizens vaccinated in other countries." And here's another recent article:

https://www.afar.com/magazine/how-ca...ccine-passport

I think I will sign up for some of the Vaccine Passports the US is working on and bring my CDC card and copies of everything (obviously)

I believe your first link applies only to Italians who got their vaccine someplace other than Italy. Americans cannot get the official Green Pass. However, your CDC vaccine certificate is considered by law, at the present time, the equivalent of a Green Card. We purchased vaccine card protectors on Amazon to keep them in good shape. The Delta agent was impressed. Do not laminate to protect your card since you may need it to add your booster shot.

whitehall Aug 30th, 2021 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by SusanG (Post 17279513)
Also....re this: I am more concerned about individual facilities (restaurants, museums, transport, etc) accepting the paper documents put in front of them. One never knows when one will encounter an exceedingly officious individual who takes a different view of the piece of paper. I don't want to have to resort to the alternative of having a nasal swab completed every 2nd day for 2 weeks............

I think we just have to "pack our patience," as everyone says and be prepared this could happen at anytime.

Our first week in Italy has been among our best. Few international tourists, great weather, with only the necessary inconvenience of masking in crowded areas. And, restaurants and merchants are thrilled to see some Americans after a very bad 2020.

whitehall Aug 30th, 2021 01:13 PM

All US citizens also are required, beginning September 1, to provide a negative Covid test within 72 hours of ARRIVAL in Italy. This now applies REGARDLESS of v vaccination status. This is per Delta Airlines and an article in the Local.

tailsock Sep 1st, 2021 05:33 AM

My wife and I postponed our 2020 ten year anniversary trip to Italy and plan on going later this month. We were both worried about being turned away by gate keepers who will treat our CDC passes like toilet paper. If we're unable to enter the Vatican museums or denied access to restaurants it will be a huge stressor. After reading some of the comments, however, I'm encouraged that things won't be that bad. My brother in law and I had no problems in Strasbourg France recently with our CDC passes so hopefully things will be similar in Italy (French Sanitaire is required by law unlike Italy's green pass). The lessened crowds and notable absence of Chinese tourists were a big benefit while we were there. I'll make sure to report back with our experience as we'll be there for 10 days and cover the big 3.

MinnBeef Sep 2nd, 2021 09:13 AM

Between Venice and Sicily, I have been in Italy for 16 nights and can confirm what the others have said. I have never been refused with my CDC card. At the same time, rules can change by the day, including what I understand is a new requirement as of a couple of days ago that even vaccinated Americans must now take a COVID test to enter. Don’t forget you also need one to return home- no more than 3 calendar days before date of tour flight. I took mind today.

You’ll want to keep up your research in case the Italians do provide the true Green Pass app to foreigners before your trip as if so, they’ll almost certainly want to see that vs. the CDC card.

ekscrunchy Oct 11th, 2021 06:11 AM

I just went on Alitalia site and it says they are not booking after mid October, from the US...is this true or did I read something wrong?

Jean Oct 11th, 2021 07:34 AM

Alitalia won't exist after Oct. 15th.....

https://onemileatatime.com/news/alitalia-replaced-ita/

annw Oct 16th, 2021 06:18 AM

Just back from Italy two days ago and as reported above the CDC white vaccination record/paper/card is accepted = to Green Pass. No problems and no hassles. We got small plastic card holders to keep the card handy/available/in good shape.

FYI we used Abbot/Binax at-home tests, with Telehealth proctor, both going (we took 2 days before flights USA-Italy) and back (again, two days before flights, though only 3 days required).

theresarad Oct 23rd, 2021 05:26 AM

Annw - what forms did you have to present when you flew to Italy? The passenger locator form I filled out gave me a QR code but do I also need to fill out the one page personal declaration form , or do we need the four page declaration form which seems really convoluted!? Do I need to travel to italy with a folder full of papers?

whitehall Oct 23rd, 2021 10:47 AM

We were there late August to late September (when Covid tests going over were not required for vaccinated) and our daughter joined us when the current rules were in effect. I believe the personal declaration form going over is out-dated and has been superseded by PLF for some time. You should be good to go with that QR code. Since our experience is that ONLY the airline cared about any of that, the digital PLF QR code is all Delta Airlines wanted to see. You will need your paper copy of the CDC vaccine certificate, and we also had a plastic sleeve for that as annw suggested.You will need your timely negative Covid result, and our daughter used her Digital version going over with Delta, and we used our digital version of the Italian Covid test for the return. We did fill out an online a statement Delta sent out before we returned of us simply verifying that we had the timely negative Covid test for return. We were only asked if we had done that. So, no, we didn't travel with a lot of papers.

theresarad Oct 23rd, 2021 01:42 PM

Thanks for all that information! I wish they would remove these older forms to make the whole process less confusing! We are going to Paris first and then flying Air France to Venice. I hope our experience will be as smooth as yours was. Thank you very much for easing my mind!

annw Oct 24th, 2021 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by theresarad (Post 17298613)
Annw - what forms did you have to present when you flew to Italy? The passenger locator form I filled out gave me a QR code but do I also need to fill out the one page personal declaration form , or do we need the four page declaration form which seems really convoluted!? Do I need to travel to italy with a folder full of papers?

What Whitehall said. We were on KLM out and Air France back. I did have a plastic sleeve with our papers just for my own peace of mind. KLM had extra copies of the one-page "Declaration" at the desk if needed and we did turn that one in to them. Ditto Air France when we returned to the US. No one asked for the Digital Locator Form though we did complete that.

Timely Covid test + CDC card/paper were the main event other than airline check in.

SusanG Oct 25th, 2021 06:10 AM

It may be the carrier that has their own rules for what they ask for. I flew via Delta Oct 1 to Rome and back home to US on Oct 11. When I checked in ... (DC), they wanted to see the regular stuff (PP) PLUS, my passenger locator form - with QR code), my negative COVID test (taken within 72 hours of ARRIVAL in Italy) my CDC card, etc. I flew thru Atlanta and they went through everything VERY carefully again an hour before I boarded for Rome in ATL. Here's the list from Delta:

Vaccination Documentation

• Must have documentation demonstrating proof of full vaccination
  • Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson are accepted
  • Must be fully vaccinated at least 14 days before arrival

COVID-19 Test

• Required up to 72 hours before arrival
  • Molecular or Antigen test are accepted; must be swab based
  • Required for all travelers ages 6 and above

Forms

• Must fill out the Digital Passenger Locator Form prior to arrival in order to board your flight. Must have either a printed copy or QR code to present at boarding.