Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greek/Mediterranean Honeymoon??? Need Ideas

Jan 17th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Hello. My fiance and I are totally undecided about what to do for our honeymoon. We have the first 2 weeks in October to work with. Anyone done a Mediterranean cruise in October? Visited the Greek Isles in October? Any suggestions/comments/warnings would be appreciated, especially about any 12-14 day Mediterranean cruises. Thank you.
Jan 17th, 2004, 04:32 PM
cmt

I've never been on a cruise, but I was in Santorini and Crete in the fist two weeks of October 1998. I think that's a beautiful time of year to be in Greece.
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:08 AM

Can't help with cruises, but I second the comments about Crete. Try the area round Elounda near Aghias Nicolaos
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:21 AM

Hi - congratulations!

October is ideal for the Med. But I wouldn't cruise . . . as soon as you tell *anyone* you're honeymooning (it'll be obvious, believe me) you will get special treatment.

I would work with Greek island travel agents to rent villas or traditional houses, and stay on 2-3 different islands. Fly to London, stay just 1 night & see some theatre, then fly directly to Crete or the Dodecanese . . .

Most of the islands will be wonderfully quiet, early Oct. is when they reclaim them from the pale Northern European invaders of the summer! And I would recommend the flying dolphins between islands, lots of fun.

Once you research the islands you think you'd like to stay on, then research travel agents actually on the island - guaranteed they all speak English, send some emails & faxes asking about traditional houses & ferry/flying dolphin times that time of year (they'll be less frequent but probably every other day) . . .

Can't think of anything more romantic than Greek island hopping . . . . . cruising ain't very good for privacy imo.
hth!
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:26 AM

Is your cruise going to Kefalonia - its a beautiful Island and still largely unspoilt. The book and film Captains Correlis Mandalin was based there - very romantic.

Re Crete, personally I prefered the west of Crete, which is very rugged and wild.

Have you any idea of your route, it will help with more appropriate responses?