Search

Greek mainland city/Itin suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2014, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greek mainland city/Itin suggestions

Hi all

Planning 9 days in September, likely Santorini/Naxos/Mykonos, and saw a video clip of Nafplio. It really looked right up my alley, but it appears it's a bit of a hike, and maybe not worth veering back to the mainland for a day or two instead of, say, flying into Athens and again to Corfu. Does anyone have a recommendation for someplace as pretty as Nafplio but closer to Athens and more conducive to a day or so's visit before flying back home? I should note that while I respect the advice of all who have been there before, any insistence that those three islands are already ambitious enough for nine days and that a fourth place shouldn't be added probably will fall on deaf ears; my wife and I have an MO of walking all over the place and seeing what there is to see, with no (or few) museums, and little beach time.

Thanks very much
Mike
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 08:30 AM

We loved Nafplio. We stayed at the top of the old section of town and really loved the view looking out over the city and the water. We (aren't athletic and are in our 60/70's) and we found the hike up and down the streets to the shops and restaurants quite nice.

You can also spend some time (a day trip) to the archelogical sites nearby.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 08:54 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We combined Napflio with those islands and Crete and it was one of the highlights of our trip. It isn't a long or difficult drive from Athens airport to Napflio.
Put Napflio at the end of your trip, then visit Athens before flying home.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 09:11 AM

I am not sure whay you mentioned Corfu, which is on the other side of Greece close to Italy, and can be hardly combined with any islands of the Aegean Sea. ( you would have to fly via Athens)

Nafplio that catched your eye is a wonderful city, only 148 km away from Athens and about a 2 hours drive.
There is plenty to do and see in that area, which can be explored best with a rental car.

Epidaurus with the famous ancient theatre, Mycenae and Tiryns and the archaeological site of Nemea but also the island of Spetses can be visited as day trips.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I thought it was more like three hours to Nafplio. Glad to hear I was wrong, we'll go ahead and do it. Thanks again for the feedback, always appreciated.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 10:25 AM

That's two hours driving as Greeks drive boyreporter. It may well take you 3 hours.

If for example you don't know that a paved shoulder is a passing lane or that all Greek roads basically have 3 lanes. The one going in your direction, the one in the other direction and the invisible one in the middle of the road which you use to pass a bus when on an uphill with a blind corner at the top.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 01:17 PM

dulcius, you're having fun with him, but pleeez don't scare him out of going to the most beautiful Old Town in Greece … boy reporter, all you need to do is stay to the right, you'll be fine -- last June, our driver zoomed us to Nafplio in just a bit over 3 hours from the airport, without turning a hair, in a rain shower, and most of her driving experience has been in rural Alabama …so... don't get jitters. For one thing,from the airport all the way to past the Corinith canal is on Greece's most modern highway, 2 lanes each way, divided most of distance… and when you turn off the thruway to go South toward Nafplio, it's a smaller road but not much traffic at all, a lovely drive through gently rolling country, orange groves to one side, a hill topped by a ruin on the other…

On the other hand, if you want to be totally care-free, you could taxi from your Athens hotel (€10-11) to the Kifissou bus station and take an a/c reserved seat comfy KTEL (intercity) for €14 one-way; goes hourly on 1/2 hr, takes 3.5 hrs. If you sit on LH side, you'll have a lovely water view much of the way, then those orange trees. In Nafplio, there's tons to do just exploring the town on day #1 (3 castles/forts!!). If you want you could rent a car for day #2 to see some ruins… and gorgeous Epidaurus. Busses back to Athens on the hour, til 9 pm.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 01:18 PM

Correction!! The bus takes only 2.5 hours!! fingers slipped.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 01:34 PM

In case of a rental car

There is a highway from Athens to Corinth ( A8), and from there you just take the A7 towards Tripolis.

You can take either the exit of Ancient Nemea, or Sterna to Nafplio. That lat part is about 40 km on a smaller road.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 07:04 PM

The last time I was in Nafplio was at the end of aug. And on a weekend. The night life was in full swing and the music from the harbor traveled up the city. A little too loud for me. I assume sept. Will be less crowed, but maybe week days would be best, unless you love that type of night life. I am getting too old. also if you drive there are some nice vineyards and wine cellars in Nemnea, which is near Nafplio. Have a great time.
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 09:09 AM

Nafplio, is really great, I agree with all members here.
Do a search on Meteora (there is a James Bond movie with Sean Connery filmed in this amazing place) and Ioannina (the lake and the castle of Ali Pasa, turkish king, is really amazing). Have a great time!
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 09:53 AM

We loved Nafplio! We stayed 4 nights and really enjoyed the area. We were there 2nd week of Sept and it wasn't crowded and the weather was glorious.

Pics here https://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gi...7627669385061/