Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Greek Islands without Strenous Uphill Walking (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/greek-islands-without-strenous-uphill-walking-1111154/)

Zambezi Jun 4th, 2016 07:22 PM

Greek Islands without Strenous Uphill Walking

Can anyone recommend scenic, desirable islands for a fall visit that don't require long walks uphill along narrow, rocky paths? Prefer some with maritime activities, such as day sailing trips and fishing, and with historic reminders, such as monasteries. ZZ

MmePerdu Jun 4th, 2016 07:30 PM

Is a long uphill walk alright if it isn't narrow & rocky?

I like Naxos and the best part of the town is a hill, but a very civilized hill, paved with stairs.

brotherleelove2004 Jun 4th, 2016 08:38 PM

Paros and Antiparos.

KayF Jun 5th, 2016 02:25 AM

We stayed in Mykonos town and it was fairly flat. Also incredibly picturesque. We did a half day ferry trip to Delos which is really interesting and full of history. Read up a bit on Delos before you go so it makes more sense.

Kay

Heimdall Jun 5th, 2016 04:26 AM

If you say in Mykonos Town be very careful which hotel you choose. Some, esp. behind the port, are on a steep hill, while others in the centre of town are an easy walk.

I agree with brotherleelove re Paros and Antiparos. Both are fairly flat in the main towns along the coast. The pedestrianised main street of Antiparos Town is even wheelchair-friendly.

grandmere Jun 5th, 2016 10:21 AM

Crete has it all: flat seaside towns (Chania is lovely), gorges, mountains, plains, monasteries, etc.

Also agree with what others have said about Mykonos.

Zambezi Jun 5th, 2016 10:30 AM

Hello to All: You've given me great ideas and I'm investigating them. More years ago than I want to admit, I visited Mykonos, so I know about its attractiveness. Now, I wonder about the crowds, even, say, in September. For other visitors to this site, keep the suggestions coming. Thank you. ZZ

mariha2912 Jun 5th, 2016 10:33 AM

Kos. http://www.kosinfo.gr/

justineparis Jun 5th, 2016 02:18 PM

Naxos .....
Paradise

Mykonos is a tourist ghettto, bring money

mariha2912 Jun 5th, 2016 11:40 PM

In reality I think uphill walk have to do mostly with specific area of an island than an island as a whole.

mes2525 Jun 6th, 2016 09:32 AM

Corfu, Rhodes, Chania, Heraklion, are some towns that aren't hilly. You have to research the islands that interest you to see if they have flatter parts.

LaurenS3 Jun 7th, 2016 04:07 AM

Hey there!

There are plenty of beautiful places in Greece, it's hard to choose! The Ionian Sea is a good area, you can either go to Corfu and Lefkada, which are considered the best places to go sailing as well!

I thoroughly enjoyed sailing around Lefkada when I was there last year and it wasn't too expensive either! I booked a sailing trip with my friends on www.antlos.com, highly recommended! I've never seen turquoise waters as I did in Greece and would definitely suggest that you try some of the seafood. There are plenty of cheap tavernas cooking up the catch of the day.

sparkchaser Jun 7th, 2016 04:21 AM

Crete.

Zambezi Jun 7th, 2016 06:04 AM

Thank all of you for these suggestions, which, in spite of their apparent diversity, seem to have a certain cohesiveness. I've gotten to wondering as I investigated them whether any have been affected by the movement of people out of Syria and other places toward northern Europe. ?? ZZ

sparkchaser Jun 7th, 2016 08:47 AM

Crete is unaffected. There is no need to be afraid.

sparkchaser Jun 7th, 2016 08:47 AM

*largely unaffected

I'm sure some have managed to get there but there's no camps or anything

clausar Jun 7th, 2016 10:03 AM

That's correct sparkchaser, there are no camps or even Syrian refugees on Crete.
It is the last place they would like to be.....for being in the opposite direction from Germany.....

mariha2912 Jun 7th, 2016 08:27 PM

Kos is one of the islands that receives many Syrian refugees but this is not a problem for holiday-makers. Quite possibly you will not encounter even one refuggee unless you seek for them and even if you do, well, they are human beings you know...