Search

Greek Islands + Turkey Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greek Islands + Turkey Advice

Hi Folks,

We are planning Greece and Turkey for our honey moon and wanted some advise on whether this itinerary sounds ok. Apr 7 - 27.

Is April ok weather wise, we can even do may or end April if there is a significant difference in weather/logistics.

We are sure we want to do Athens, Mykonis and Santorini. Also planing on Istanbul and maybe a day trip.

Land Athens on the 7th evening.

Ferry/Plane to Mykonos on the 10th morning, which mode would you suggest? Day trip to Delos.

Mykonos - Santorini 13th morning ferry, as it is pretty short and we would like to approach Santorini by sea.

Santorini - Rhodes 15th morning, probably fly. I have time so I wanted to do a 3rd Island. Picked Rhodes as many people talk well about it and we also go nearer to turkey. Any other options, a 3rd must see island ( access to Turkey is secondary)

Rhodes - Istandbul 19th

Istanbul - Delhi 24th morning

So, I have 3 days left, where would you suggest we extend or maybe add something.Place near istanbul or the Greek islands?

Appreciate the input.

Regards,
chim
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 03:32 AM

Hi and congratulations!

If you can delay your trip until the end of April or beginning of May you will have better weather and find more things open on the islands. In addition, April 15th is Orthodox Easter in Greece, and transport to/from/between islands likely to be busy for a week each side of that date.

You are unlikely to find flights between Santorini and Rhodes, or Rhodes and Istanbul in that period, so will most likely have to return to Athens for a flight to Istanbul from there. The alternative would be to enter Turkey via Rhodes, then make your way to Istanbul by Turkish air or ground transport.

I must say, your original plan of just two islands sounds more realistic to me.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 03:50 AM

Congratulations on you honeymoon! Yes, if you can go at the end of April the weather is likely to be somewhat better. Just looked at my notes from our trip two years ago...

There used to be bus service between Mamaris ( the Turkish port you enter when coming from Rhodes in Greece) to Istanbul. But it's slow. About three or four hours.

There is also an airport in Dalman ( about 100 miles from Mamaris). We flew from there to Istanbul. Good luck!
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the information.

Heimdall, I am struggling between the fact that I do not want to make our vacation hectic and that this is the only time we will go to Greece ever.

Given that would you pick Rhodes as your 3rd island or is there another must see place.

Weadles, thanks for the informatio, I will look in to that. Do you think flying to Athens from Rhodes and then to Istanbul will be more comfortable or is Mamaris pretty organized?
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Weadles, I do see a hydrofoil Rhodes Marmaris 45 minutes. Guess from there we will fly, bus ride is 12 hours! Thanks again.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 06:11 AM

May is definitely a better month to travel to the Greek Islands than April, not only because of Easter ( this year orthodox and catholic Easter will be celebrated on the same day) but because of the weather.

April is colder than May, but even May is not like in summer !!!
Beginning of May water is still too cold for swimming, so take this into consideration.

The time that you have alloted for Mykonos and Santorini is too short, i think it would be better to use your 3 extra days to stay longer on these islands.

There are many must see places in Greece, Rhodes is definitely a beautiful island, i would recommend to rent a car and explore it. The medieval town of Rhodes is the biggest and best preserved of Europe and Lindos a nice village with great beach , Seven Sprins or Filerimos are some of the many attractions of the island.

Should you decide to visit Greece in April, being there during orthodox Easter could be a highlight of your trip.
You should book your hotels way in advance and replace Mykonos with the Peloponnese.
The Peloponnese has many great places, must see is the romantic city of Nafplio, and nearby archelogical sites of Mycenae, Tiryns and Epidavros. If you have a car , you could visit the island of Spetses for a day.
From all parts of Greece, the Peloponnese ( along with Sterea Hellas - the southern part of Mainland Greece above Peloponnese) is where Eastern is celebrated in the most intense way !!
Personally i would skip Mykonos and would do :

Athens - Peloponnese - Santorini and Rhodes, even though getting there is not very convenient.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 04:41 PM

rchimni,

We took the hydrofoil from Rhodes to Marmaris. It was very easy to do. But keep in mind that the airport in Dalman is 100 miles from the port. Is the 12- hour bus the only one you've found? My notes say there is one that was much shorter.

In case you decide to go back to Athens, then on to Istanbul, it's a quick flight. It took us about an hour.

Good luck!
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Clausar,

I have been reading some of your other posts as well.

Weadles, Clausar, Heimdall thanks for the information, we shifted our trip to May 25th to get in some warmer weather.

I am also looking into the Peloponnesse (nafplio) , and will spend 4 days to an island so that its not rushed.

So currently we are planning Santorini, Mykonos, and 1 of Rhodes or the Peloponnesse area.

Chimni
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 10:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Weadles, the land route from Marmaris to istanbul is 750 kilometers and the bus may even take a longer alternate route. Speed limits for a bus are lower than for a car and they also have more stops on the way.

Marmaris-Dalaman airport is 110 kilometres, and will take slightly over one hour.

You can get very cheap Dalaman-Istanbul tickets for May now. They will get more expensive as the time draws nearer.
Always buy directly on-line yourself rather tha using expedia, venere, orbitz, etc. THY the national carier is the most expensive but provides full service. Sky, Atlas, Onur, Pegasus, Sunexpree are cheaper but some of them have baggage limitations and costs.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 01:34 PM

rchimni
If i had to choose between the Peloponnese and Rhodes, i would definitely choose the Peloponnese.
This is a part of Greece full of beauty and history.
How many days did you plan?
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Clausar,

I have a between the 25th of May and the 20th of June.

Athens (3)
Santorini (4) ( Deciding between Oia or Imerovigli as a base, Oia seems to be the more romantic spot, Imerovigli seems to be midway between Fira and Oia giving easy access to both. I consider a 30 minute walk or 20 minute scooter ride = short).
Mykonos (4)
Rhodes or Pelop (5 days)
Rest 8-9 days Istanbul (6-7) + Selcuk/Ephesus (2)
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 07:22 AM

sounds great to me
between Oia and Imerovigli, do not hesitate, choose Oia.
It is the most beautiful village of the island, with real people living there... Imerovigli on the other side is nice but artificial.. there are mostly hotels there, you'll get a totally different feeling in Oia. ( Oia is not small, as you will see)

Fira, the main village of the island is good for 1 day trip... i think you will spend most of your time in Oia though, once you've seen the two places.

Under no circumstance hire a scooter should you stay in Oia.... it is far too dangerous to drive to the rest of the island, as the road is relatively narrow and on the edge of the cliff at some points.....
Also generally speaking driving around with a scooter in Santorini can be dangerous, have seen many accidents happening, as most people have no experience with scooters/bikes. Better stay on the safe side and rent a car or use the public bus.

Finally as i already mentioned, i'd choose the Peloponnese over Rhodes....
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 09:53 AM

Clausar, I completely agree with what you say about scooters, and have never used one in Greece, except one time on Antiparos when another regular Fodor's contributor let me have a go on his. However, if rchimni has used a scooter in Delhi, Santorini will seem tame by comparison. Having been to Delhi myself, I can say that! The high density of lorries, cars, tuk tuks, rickshaws, bicycles, and animals was absolutely terrifying, and I am glad someone else was doing the driving! Rchimni, I salute you! ;-)
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 10:27 AM

An alternative to Rhodes is Samos. It too has a ferry to Turkey, to Kusadasi. You could see Ephesus, then fly from Izmir to Istanbul. There are buses between Kusadasi and Selcuk/Ephesus and between Selcuk and the Airport at Izmir. Samos is farther north than Rhodes, thus closer to Istanbul.

Re: the Peloponnese. If you have a car, I've been hearing lots about the beauty of the Mani peninsula. The town of Mystras looks very interesting. And the town of Monemvasia.
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 12:20 PM

Heimdall
I can imagine what you are talking about, even without having been to Delhi.. ( Discovery/Travel/Animal Channel are good sources, to know how traffic is i India...)

However driving on the road from Oia to Fira,is my absolute horror... Especially when it's windy, and you drive towards Oia, or when it's getting dark.....
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 01:02 PM

I agree, the drive up to Ancient Thera being even more nerve-racking! ;-)
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Clausar, Heimdall:

Thanks for the tips folks. Having driven a bike in both Delhi and Sicily my first impression is that it should be manageable but I will take a call once I'm there.

You would be surprised, even though there is so much chaos and no rules on Delhi roads the # of accidents is much less than one would think. Everyone seems to know when and how to 'miss'.
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 05:07 PM

I haven't been to India but I have been to Bangkok a few times which I'm assuming is not as bad as Delhi, although I'm sure BKK ranks up there in the top 10. That said, with Delhi and Sicily under your belt, Santorini will seem like a walk in the park to you.