Search

Belgium and Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2018, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belgium and Netherlands

Hello Everyone,

Our family of four (children 6 and 3) are planning a trip to Belgium and Netherlands in early August for a couple of weeks and have come up with a following draft itinerary:

- 3 August – Arrive in Brussels (early morning IA)

- 3-5 August – Brussels

- 5- 7 August – Bruges

- 7-11 August (not sure???? kids eager to visit Disney Land Paris. Well, we don’t mind to revisit Paris either J )

- 11-13 August - Amsterdam

- 13-15 August – Efteling

- 15-17 August (Open days, Planning to stay in Giethoorn or similar picturesque village , however; can’t find any suitable accommodation in Giethoorn on booking.com, Veluwe??)

- 17-18 August Amsterdam and return flight on 18th

We’ll appreciate your thoughts on this plan. Are we missing anything vital or cramming too much?
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 03:21 AM

Are you going to use a car or public transport?

several days in Giethoorn might be a bit much. But you could stay in for instance Zwolle (a Hanseatic city). From Zwolle it is an easy bus ride to Giethoorn. A day ticket (Meermanskaart) for the 4 of you would only cost you 16.50 euros (valid all day on all bus lines in the East of the Netherlands)
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 09:23 AM

Amsterdam, Efteling then Giethoorn?
Seems rather mixed up to me.
Why can you not find suitable accommodation on Booking.com? What is it you are looking for?
similar picturesque village? I will give you a list which includes towns.
Zutphen
s‑Hertogenbosch
Harlingen
Monnickendam
Maybe even think about a cycle around Zuid-Kennemerland National Park
There is no real similar to Giethoorn, including the amount of tourists!
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 09:49 AM

Giethoorn will be packed in August, and not at all enjoyable. 40 years ago it was lovely, now it is over run.

You only have one full day in Amsterdam, that isn't enough, add time from your other days.

I'm not sure Efteling is worth the money given the age of your children. They can't go on most rides and things aimed at their age are only in Dutch. If they want Disney do Disney rather than Efteling.

How are you planning on getting around? That affects suggestions for other places to visit/stay.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We'll be using Public transportation primarily.

For accommodation, we are looking for a self catering apartment. If Giethoorn is not feasible, any other suggestions? I didn't mention our interests in my 1st post, mainly we like to feel the local atmosphere and appreciate beautiful towns and a little bit of nature . Ideally we'd like to spend a couple of days in countryside? Which one of the Center Parcs De Kempervennen or Hoge Veluwe would be more appropriate? Thanks hetismij2 you raised an interesting point, Efteling had great reviews which prompted us to allot a couple of days there; I wasn't sure about the language barrier.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 10:32 PM

Will you have a car?
Most Center Parcs I know (not saying I know them all) had been in more remote locations and geared towards arrivals by car.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by midaz
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We'll be using Public transportation primarily.

For accommodation, we are looking for a self catering apartment. If Giethoorn is not feasible, any other suggestions? I didn't mention our interests in my 1st post, mainly we like to feel the local atmosphere and appreciate beautiful towns and a little bit of nature . Ideally we'd like to spend a couple of days in countryside? Which one of the Center Parcs De Kempervennen or Hoge Veluwe would be more appropriate? Thanks hetismij2 you raised an interesting point, Efteling had great reviews which prompted us to allot a couple of days there; I wasn't sure about the language barrier.

You have been asked several questions, but unfortunately you have not given answers to those.
I have also given you some ideas....I also could give you a load more... As alternatives to Giethoorn.
The children are not too young for the Efteling.
http://www.dutchdutchgoose.com/2016/...ay-at-eftling/
https://www.efteling.com/en/park/littlest-ones
https://babyccinokids.com/blog/2016/...magical-place/
There is something for children of all ages.

A video shot by friends on my wife.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 01:38 AM

I think the children would enjoy the Efteling. There's plenty for small children. And there is family-friendly accommodation there.
Perhaps also look at nearby 'Beekse Bergen' safari park. Just don't get out of the car to get a close-up look at the leopards, as a French family did recently.

Centerparks are great for small kids.

For all of these it would be much easier to have a car. Cities in the Netherlands are well connected by train, but if you want to go to small village or the countryside, public transport is not so convenient.
I would really consider renting a car for a few days.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 01:46 AM

Perhaps instead of Giethoorn, consider some time in Zeeland. Have a look at places such as Domburg, Zierikzee, Middelburg, Burgh Haamstede.
It's high season, though, so not sure accommodation is still available.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 01:52 AM

What I said was that they are too young for many of the rides, and the attractions aimed at younger kids are in Dutch, and are very Dutch.

No I am not a fan of the place, and nor were my grandsons when they were young. It can be very scary for young children too - I have seen kids absolutely terrified by some things aimed at them.
It is an expensive day out imho and almost certainly not worth the money or the time from a short holiday to visit it, €40pp including the 6 year old though the 3 year old is free. Yes you get a magnificent €2 pp discount for ordering online, but it is still an expensive day out.

If OP is prepared to rent a car then there are other places they can stay and visit. Giethoorn is not easy to get to by public transport in any case.

Center Parcs are hard to get to by public transport usually and mean once you are there you are kind of stuck. I have no personal experience of them. I looked at the Kempervennen one on line and it is very difficult to get to by public transport. I didn't see one in Hoge Veluwe but that area would be my choice.

You could consider Harlingen as was suggested earlier. It is officially a city (one of the Frisian Eleven Cities) on the coast, but is the size of a small town. You could make a day trip to one of the islands from there, (I'd recommend Vlieland) and also visit Leeuwarden, European City of Culture, and other towns and cities around, and enjoy watching the tradional sailing ships in the harbours. (I live in Harlingen now so am perhaps somewhat biased).
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 06:07 AM

What I said was that they are too young for many of the rides, and the attractions aimed at younger kids are in Dutch, and are very Dutch.
Then you are suggestion that the blogs I linked too are not correct either? Children are children and they make of it what they want. It is better than some boring old stuffy tourist guide doing a talk in English about something they have no imagination for.

No I am not a fan of the place, and nor were my grandsons when they were young.
That will obviously tint your advise.

It can be very scary for young children too - I have seen kids absolutely terrified by some things aimed at them.
What? Tom Thumb, Hansel and Gretel, Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio etc scary?

If you can watch it here is over one hour of this scary park.

Old Jun 25th, 2018, 07:02 AM

My kids loved it when they were little, and now that they are grown up they still love to go. They still walk through the fairy-tale forest.
The gardens and flowers are beautiful too.

Have a look at Zeeland instead of Giethoorn, geographically, it's closer to the Efteling; though very much easier if you have a car.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 07:04 AM

On the other hand, one of my kids was terrified by Snow White at Disney when she was small. Refused to go on any ride after that.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 08:06 AM

Just about trains - book your Thalys train tickets from Bruges to Paris and Paris to Amsterdam as soon as possible - I think possible up to 3 months in advance at www.thalys.com for serious discounts over full fare - but those discounted ducats are limited in number so book as early as possible. And get the ABS - All Belgian Stations add-on fare for a few euros which lets you hop any train Bruges to Brussels within 24 hours of Thalys train to Paris - ideal for stopping in Brussels for a few hours or so. For loads of info on European trains in general check out www.seat61.com - sage advice on booking your own tickets; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 09:38 PM

- 11-13 August - Amsterdam

- 13-15 August – Efteling

- 15-17 August (Open days, Planning to stay in Giethoorn or similar picturesque village , however; can’t find any suitable accommodation in Giethoorn on booking.com, Veluwe??)

Efteling is usually a daytrip. Other destinations from Amsterdam, are Sprookjesbos in Enkhuizen, perhaps paired with the Zuiderzeemuseum and a trip across the IJsselmeer to Stavoren. From there, there's a half hour train ride to Leeuwarden.

Giethoorn: tourist central. Instead, try one of the Hanseatic cities on the river IJssel: Zwolle, Deventer, Zutphen.