Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Greek islands in November? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/greek-islands-in-november-1667933/)

bqycc Jun 5th, 2019 07:41 PM

Greek islands in November?

Hello!

My husband and I will travel to Athens the second week in November (7th), he will run the Athens Marathon.

We were wondering whether it would make sense to go to one or maybe two of the islands (Crete or Santorini or Mykonos?) for some days before reaching Athens or if we would be better off leaving the Greek islands for other seasons of the year.

If so, the activities to do there would be restaurant hopping and walking? ruins sightseeing? Would you recommend a 2 day visit per island?
Would there be anything special about visiting the islands in winter?

Thanks for your help!
B

Heimdall Jun 5th, 2019 10:06 PM

November is definitely off season for the islands, and it is impossible to combine Crete, Santorini, and Mykonos or any of the two without going back through Athens. The reason for this is that ferries combining these islands operate only in the summer, from April to October.

There are ferries and flights to each of these islands all year round, going back and forth from Athens, so it is possible to choose one of those islands and visit it, along with any other island on the route. Ferries to Santorini stop both ways at Paros and Naxos en route. You could fly to Santorini, for example, then take the Blue Star ferry to Naxos or Paros before returning to Athens by ferry or flight.

Crete would also be a good island to visit off-season, as it has a large enough permanent population to keep things open after the tourist season. Mykonos is very quiet after October when the party season is over and cruise ships end their visits. Many of the Mykonos restaurant and shop owners live in Athens over winter.

For a quick day trip to an island you could take a ferry to one in the Saronic Gulf, e.g. Aegina. What I would do off-season is spend 2 or 3 nights in Nafplio, on the sea coast of the Peloponnese. It is only 2 hours by road from Athens and has a lot to offer:
http://visitnafplio.com/

ka73100 Jun 12th, 2019 07:10 AM

Visiting most islands in November is disappointing in terms of available hotels and activities.
However,as previously said, it is fine to choose a visit to Peloponnese or Crete. Choices of accommodation and restaurants (probably not activities), are certainly enough there

glennlucy Jun 30th, 2019 05:31 AM

In November, Athens is not as beautiful as summer. But nevertheless you can see very many beautiful places) Hotels at this time are not so much as in the holiday season. I can rent a car for a more detailed view of the country. But this is only when I travel between cities.

Lois2 Jun 30th, 2019 06:22 AM

I would forget those islands In Nov. Consider Syros which is an island not that far by Ferry from Athens that is year round and has a stunning port. You will find things open and the island is so interesting.

bqycc Dec 2nd, 2019 07:07 PM

Thanks for your suggestions!

We had to reduce our trip duration, and ended up going to Athens for 4 days (taking out flight and marathon activities time) , so we left out the big islands and ended up having a one-day cruise to Aegina, Hydra and Poros, that was nice enough.
We will visit the big islands on another trip and given your suggestions, go in another season.

varinkaensminger7343 Dec 20th, 2019 09:19 AM

2020 Athens marathon

Do you mind sharing your travel information or itinerary? This is my 40 birthday celebration and of course as a runner I have chosen this marathon to celebrate but I also want to make a great trip out of it!
thanks!

zebec Dec 27th, 2019 08:15 PM

Just for those who might still be viewing and wondering about off-season travel to the isles: we once deliberately visited Folegandros during off-season (early March '92) and it turned out to be one of the best trips ever. Zero tourists. Cooler temperatures. No swimming. Fewer open eateries but still...
I am done. The end.