Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Greek Islands, female solo traveller. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/greek-islands-female-solo-traveller-826157/)

Magsbags Feb 12th, 2010 01:38 AM

Greek Islands, female solo traveller.

Wow! Just discovered this great forum on Foder's!
Im planning to fly from Australia, to Mykonos (3nts) & ferry to Santorini(7nts) in June for my 50th birthday.
Any other solo travellers out there who can share their travelling experiences on the Greek Islands?
Need advice on travelling independantly, solo & very cheaply, but safe accommodation.
I have travelled to Europe before independantly, but not solo.

travelerjan Feb 12th, 2010 05:31 AM

I've been a solo traveler a number of times, and I'm waay older than you ... you certainly can travel on 70€ a day or less in June -- your main disadvantage will be not having someone to split the cost of a room. But to give best advice, please share more:

(1) Surely you are not undertaking this hugely looong trip just for 10 days in Greece. Will you be in another country either before or after your Greece time? And what is the exact date AND time of day of your arrival in athens airport, AND same for your departure... in such a short stay, every hour makes a difference in the advice. For instance, your arrival time will determine whether you can catch a flight to your first island (hopefully, at one of the "promotional" prices offered by Aegean Air sporadically), or an evening ferry. and your departure time (to what destination? Europe or Australia?)affects your end-day strategy.

(2) Any particular reason why you chose Mykonos AND Santorini, aside from the fact that they are relentlessly promoted by cruise lines and package tour companies??? these are the MOST touricized islands AND the most costly ones ... also, the most inundated with cruise ship crowds. If there are 3 cruise ships moored at Santorini, there can be up to 9,000 people pouring onto the island for the day.
This is not to say that you shouldn't go to Santorini -- the caldera is a "must see" sight for a newbie -- but just be aware that it may not be the totality of a Greece experience. And the main thing about it is the view of the caldera, so what will you do for the other 5 nights? For a single person age 50, nightclubbing may not be the answer, besides being costly; you mention wanting to travel "very cheaply." Perhaps you should consider a shorter time (3 nites?) and then move on.
Also, what attracts you to Mykonos? It's noted for late-night partying and high-end shopping; are you up for either of these? You might look around for another island that offers a greater contrast to Santorini -- check Sifnos, Paros, Naxos, Amorgos. I have visited all these in late may/early june as a solo traveler and enjoyed each of them a lot, in fact, have gone back again. And ALL of these are far more reasonable in €€€ than either of the 2 you chose. Example: rooms as low as €25 or €30... full dinners @under €10-12. All have public transportation networks and fine beaches.

(3) Finally, what about ATHENS?!?!? This gorgeous city has been there for 5,000 years, waiting for you... surely you can give it 2 days. I can recommend a couple of hotels in the heart of the sightseeing area, with basic clean rooms and a roof terrace with view of the Acropolis, for about 60€ for a single.

-- My suggestion: 3 nights Santorini, 4 nights Island #2, and then 3 nights athens. Once you get your priorities decided, and your sequence, we can deal with details of transport (this comes FIRST), and then Lodgings.

Congratulations on being celebratory about this milestone birthday!! I wanted to go to Greece from my teenage years, but didn't get there until my 60s. Then I decided to keep coming back as long as I drew breath ... and the other day, my MD looked at my stats and said, you're likely to live to be 100. So I have some more trips to Greece in store... And so will you -- this is just your first installment!

Magsbags Feb 12th, 2010 11:57 AM

Thanks Jan for your reply,
1.My travel dates & islands are not fixed, but I know I waht to be somewhere special when I turn 50 on June 11th. (I spent my 40th in Paris)
Plan to fly direct to an island via Athens, spend about 10 days (or longer) on islands, back to Athens for about 4 nts, then head some where else for a week or two ( maybe Asia).

2. I was thinking Mykonos & Santorini only because they appear to be covered in those classic white wash homes & have beautiful veiws. Do some of the other islands have similar looking towns? You have inspired me to the other islands that you reccommended though.

3. I like to stay where I can walk around knowing there are other people walking around, especially at night. I dont feel safe walking around in very quiet, isolated areas. I love to walk through the streets & to jump on public transport to see more of an area.

travelerjan Feb 12th, 2010 12:42 PM

1. Arrival/departure -- if you can work it (and I know the times will be wacky, coming all that way), it's very time=efficient if you can plan your arrival so that you can connect immediately to your first island. THere are bargain flights around 5 am ... then a 2nd wave of flights about 8 or 9, then sometimes there's a noonish or 1 pm, then the next flights are 5-5:30, last ones abut 8. Check Aegean Air. good thinking to save athens for last.

2. Islands -- that's what I thought!! You chose them because brochures endlessly depict those 2 isles. Listen closely: there are more than TWENTY Cycladic islands -- and they ALL have the classic whitewashed houses! Here's a good map (legends are in french but Greek names are the same). Click on it and it enlarges: http://courses.cit.cornell.edu/his45...eece%20Map.gif
Now, see all Those islands in the Middle with the word Cyclades? There's a row on the left Starting with Kythnos... a bunch in the middle starting the Kea ... and a row on the right starting with Andros down to Astypalea. All the white buildings, all with many beaches (except for Santorini). The ferry routes follow those rows, with periodic ferry crossovers. If you start with Santorini, you can get ferries to Central (Ios Paros Naxos) daily, and W. Cyc every couple of days (Milos or Sifnos). .... Which ones to choose??? If you don't have a guidebook, get thee to a library, and look at Thos. Cook's GREEK ISLAND HOPPING -- that's the quickest guide to understanding how to get around. And for a Quick, visual, candid overview of islands, I like this pictorial, succinct website by a youngish Greek schoolmaster:
http://www.greek-islands.us/

3. ABOUT SAFETY -- Greece has the lowest petty-crime rate in the EU. Lately there's been a rash of pickpocketing on one Metro Line. the Green line from Piraeus (mainly targeting tourists who persist in keeping their wallets in their pants or jacket pockets)... but otherwise, relax. I've walked to the airport bus at 3:30 am in Athens without a shiver. And the thing about Greece -- late at night, things are still hopping, so there are ALWAYS people in the streets. I've never felt safer than I have felt in Greece, alone in the evening, meandering down a lane in the countryside, in a village -- or in the heart of Athens.

Check out Naxos, Sifnos, Paros ... all have good bus networks if u dont want to rent a car.
Google on "Image" for some of these. Here to get you started, is a slideshow of Naxos done by a Fodorite who goes there every year. I should do this with my own photos, but I'm lazy and just link you to Stanbr's: http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/552001505EYxVYT

billbarr Feb 12th, 2010 02:31 PM

>-- My suggestion: 3 nights Santorini, 4 nights Island #2, and then 3 nights athens. Once you get your priorities decided, and your sequence, we can deal with details of transport (this comes FIRST), and then Lodgings. <

I like Jan's suggestion of the number of days on each island especially ending the trip in Athens.

Santorini and Mykonos are very popular, just as Jan has mentioned, but for good reasons. Mykonos has the prettiest town in the Cyclades and Santorini is spectacular. I feel you do need to visit one of them.

All that said, after visiting whichever you choose, another nice contrast could be Tinos or Andros, both on the ferry route back to Athens. The former is very, very pretty especially out of the main port. Many dovecots, those while cube buildings you are looking for and some of the most terrific isolated but charming small beaches. Andros is mountainous, lush, few tourists and a main town that is traditional and not too much changed over the years. It's a favourite island of many Athenians. Each island has good bus networks and ferry connections to Athens Rafina and Athens Piraeus are good.

Bill

parosblue Feb 12th, 2010 06:09 PM

Hi Magsbags,
As usual, travelerjan has excellent advice and details. As far as choosing between Santorini and Mykonos, I would say go to Santorini for the spectacular view. But due to your limited time, go to any of the other recommended islands for the quaint village experience instead of Mykonos. The first time I ever went to Greece I went solo to Paros at age 55. I never felt afraid or nervous, even meandering through town very late at night and up a dark walkway to my small hotel. Greece really is a comfortable place to visit for a solo female traveler. Have a wonderful and happy birthday!

isabel Feb 13th, 2010 03:44 AM

I put off going to Greece for years because it never worked out that I could do it with a traveling companion and I didn't want to go there alone (even though I've traveled to other places in Europe and US alone). I finally went last year with my husband and while it was wonderful being there with him I now realize going to Greece solo would have been fine. It's very safe feeling.

So it looks like you have allocated about two weeks for Greece - you are saying 10 nights Islands plus 4 Athens. Have you considered going somewhere else on the mainland - such as Naplion on the Peloponnese? Or Delphi? We had a total of 15 nights and I felt what we did was a perfect intro to Greece - 2 nights Santorini, 2 hour ferry to Naxos for 2 nights, 1 hour ferry to Paros for 2 nights, 4 hour ferry to Athens for 5 nights, then 1 in Delphi and 2 Naplion and last night near the airport so we could see the Temple of Poseidon at sunset. I would probably cut a day off Athens if I were to do it over. You can take day tours to Delphi, and two or three day tours to the Peloponnese if you don't want to rent a car or do public transportation. That's what I'd do if I were going solo.

Here are the links to my trip report and photos which might give you some ideas. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm

Magsbags Feb 13th, 2010 10:18 PM

The feedback to my request for help with my trip has been fantastic! I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their experience. Keep it coming.
Im now sorting out a few dates, maybe arrive Athens June 1400hrs, now searching for connecting flight to Santorini, but allowing enough time incase of delay & for bag collection, thinking 1700-1730 flight. What do you think?
Maybe 4 nts Santorini, 3nts Paros, 3 Naxos, then 4 Athens.
Is this the right oder to get to each island?
Once this is sorted I will start looking at accommodation.

travelerjan Feb 14th, 2010 05:29 AM

Sounds pretty good to me, mags! And you are correct in getting your transport figured out, before your lodgings. So many people do the opposite, and then find themselves unable to get to the right place at the right time.

The sequence should be slightly altered. The best ferry (Blue Star) from Santorini goes FIRST to Naxos then to Paros. In June there are sailings at 7 am and about 1300 (3 pm), takes about 2 hours, buy plain "Economy" ticket ... this is a "regular" ferry, has outside decks where you can sit and get the full caldera view as you leave... Another good thing about Paros last, if you're taking Blue star back to Athens, from Paros it's 1 hour shorter trip, just 4 instead of 5 hours.

You'll have a choice of 2 Blue Star sailings back to Athens: one leaves 11am arrives 1600 (3 pm). If you don't want to cut up the middle of a day, take the other, which i call "The dinner ferry". Buy "reserved economy" ticket, €4 more, guarantees you a comfy lean-back seat indoors to snooze, when you want to come in from the deck. Leaves Paros about 7 pm, you enjoy sunset on deck, have a bit in the cafe, read & snooze indoors arrive in Piraeus 11:30 most nights. The Metro green line runs until midnight & the station is just across from Blue Star, so you can zip to Syntagma Square in 25-30 minutes for 1€. If not, make friends on the ferry & split a taxi to the Plaka district. Pretend you're together, get out at same place, u are charged just one fare. Insist on taxi using the meter.

Finally, consider doing 3 nights Santorini, 4 nights Naxos.... that would still give you 2.5 days on Santo (if you take the 3pm ferry). The island is pretty much about The View, not beaches... and the main archeology/history thing, the Akrotiri dig, is still closed. But it's your call... If you add the day to Naxos or Paros, you have an extra option -- from both these islands, there are TWO companies that run a day excursion to Delos-Mykonos. Of the 2, we recommend the one using HV Alexandros, a larger vessel, smoother ride. Glad to see you've allotted 4 nites to Athens it's wonderful in June, and SO much to see ... and after you've been in Greece awhile, the famous sites will resonate so much more for you!

Accommodation will still be plentiful in June -- but if looking for good budget hotels in Athens, get on that immediately, they go fast. Near Syntagma, walkable for Metro or airport bus, look at Hotel Myrtos, Metropolis Hotel, Arethusa, Central, Cypria, Plaka, Pan, Achilleas, Amazon. For Santorini, as a solo person, I suggest staying in Fira Town or Firostephani, not out in Oia (u can take a bus up there for foto's & lunch). Post separate query re Santo hotel preferences -- i.e., do you want caldera view from hotel terrace, can you do steps up/down from room etc. State your room budget in €€ & you'll get many ideas.

Congratulations on a celebratory FIRST trip to Greece... you'll want to return I know!

brotherleelove2004 Feb 14th, 2010 08:14 AM

Naxos is closer to Santorini and Paros is closer to Athens, so switch the order of your visit.

Magsbags Feb 20th, 2010 05:28 PM

International flight arrives in Athens 1245, flight to Santorini leaves 1730, is there enough time between flights to make this domestic flight?

travelerjan Feb 20th, 2010 05:38 PM

Plenty of time... too much time in fact you'll be through all those lines & have your checked bag in hand within an hour, then give yourself another 30 minutes to hit the ATM machine & walk to the Domestic-flight end of the same building. ... I like to have 3 hours in between, but you've got nearly 5! See if you can check your bag in early for your domestic flight, then go across the street to the Sofitel, to sit in a bar or cafe with more comfy seats ...

Magsbags Feb 21st, 2010 11:36 AM

Thanks again, I feel as if I have a guiding angel or two on this forum!
I am looking for hotels , my sister is able to join me for the Greek Island part of my trip now. Dates as following;
Fira, June 26, 27, 28th.
Naxos, June 29, 30th, July 1st & 2nd.
Paros, July 3, 4,& 5.
Budget around 50 Euro. Should I be concerned about having air con at this time of year?
We're both fit & walking is not a problem, but do like to be handy to cafes at night.
Do I take the day trip to Mykonos & Delos from Naxos or Paros? Thanks for your help.

Magsbags Feb 21st, 2010 11:41 AM

Also I have a flight with Aegean Air to Thira, the internet price doesn't mention baggage fees, is this fee separate or usually included in the price?

bratsandbeer Feb 21st, 2010 12:24 PM

Just for fun if you find a copy of the old movie "Shirley Valentine" be sure to watch it before you go on your trip to Greece. It was a great movie about a solo traveler named Shirley Valenine and her vacation in Greece.

brotherleelove2004 Feb 21st, 2010 12:39 PM

From the Aegean Airlines website:

Baggage

Each passenger may carry baggages weighing up to 20 kilos on all domestic and international flights, to be handed over at check-in. Infants (0 – 2 years old) have a baggage allowance of up to 10 kilos.

Hand luggage

Each passenger may carry on board the plane 1 item of hand luggage, weighing no more than 8 kilos and measuring no more than 55cm in length x 40cm in height x 20cm in width.

Excess baggage charges

On domestic flights, passengers will be charged €2 for each kilo over the appropriate limit. On international flights the charge for each excess kilo will be equivalent to 1.5% of the official IATA fare. For more information, please contact our reservations department.

There will be times when they enforce these rules strictly and other times when no one seems to care very much if you go over your limit. That's Greece for you! /:-)

travelerjan Feb 21st, 2010 03:04 PM

Hotels at 50 tops? in June-JUly? a challenge ... here are my thoughts (and YES, AC is important at time you are going, maybe not every day, but enough...

SANTORINI - here's where we're staying in may for 40 - so it should be no more than 50 in june http://www.hotelmargarita.gr/ -- It's in Firostefani, the north edge of Fira... back from the rim about 100 yards.. AND it has a pool. PLUS the owner will pick you up/drop you off at the port (I think airport too; check on that). ALSO our deal in May includes continental breakfast, so if he responds to inquiry with availability but doesn't mention breakfast, ASK.. I think that this year, these mid-level non-honeymoon hotels are looking to fill rooms..

NAXOS - bigger supply of rooms 50€ & under, In Ag. Giorgios (st George) beach area. Oddly, quietest area, least traffic is nearest Naxos Town. Here's a Map showing many hotel locales http://www.naxos-greece.net/site/gfx...hotels_map.jpg
Following hotels have "Studio Units" (ie. hotplate & sink, u can fix breakfast. Making coffee can save u tons!!) Studio Naxos - next to #42 on Map, Hotel Elizabeth #52, Hotel Syrianos #46... also Hotel Sanudos #58 -- all these have online sites or descriptions.

PAROS -
(1) http://www.alexandrasrooms.gr/Photos.html -- BrotherleeLove found this Gem. When you exit the pier, walk left along water till u reach a beach area. entry beside a retail store "colors" Was 30€ in May, should be nor more than €40 in early July. A/C not mentioned.
(2) http://www.hotel-cyclades.com/details/index.html In Same area -2 bldgs: hotel rooms ( with breakfast included) or studio units. Doesn't mention A/C in hotel rooms.
(3) http://www.hotelirene.gr/ -- Same area, faces right on beach. A/c, hotplate. Site doesn't give prices; I would suggst emailing asking do you have any rooms @ 50€ for these dates? and even if the "rack rate" is 55, they might think a bird in the hand...

Magsbags Apr 1st, 2010 02:11 PM

Thankyou to all above for your impressive knowledge of the Greek Islands. I could not have organised my trip without you!
June
Fly to Santorini Wed. 23rd, 4 nights.
Ferry to Naxos Sun. 27th, 4 nights.
Ferry to Paros, Thurs. 1st, 4 nights.
Ferry to Athens, Mon. 5th, 3 nights.

Question- Do I need to book ferry tickets or can I buy them on the day? Are Bluestar ferries running everyday at this time of the year?
Should I do day trip to Mykonos-Delos from Naxos or Paros?

travelerjan Apr 1st, 2010 03:50 PM

Good for you! Glad to see you have this settled ... and I'm assuming you have some kind of lodgings lined up.

ABOUT FERRIES -- YEs BlueStar Ferries run about 2 x a day, regular as clockwork. No you don't need to book online, but don't wait until the morning of sailing, either. That Sunday Naxos ferry is going to be full of people returning to Athens, so buy it on Santorini the day u arrive, or the 24th. About the Ferry back to Athens -- the Day ferry leaves Paros at 11 -- lands at 3 pm. If you want to squeeze another island day into your vaction, you might consider taking what I call the Blue Star "dinner ferry" --leaves Paros 6:45 pm. (Check out of your room at noon, stash your bags with your hotel clerk, enjoy an afternoon at the beach & ask hotel guy for use of a vacant bathroom to wash up & get into travel clothes). This ferry arrives 5 mins after midnight. Alas, Metro has stopped running, and taxi fare doubles after 11 pm. However there's an answer; buddy up to a couple of fellow travelers & split a taxi to the Plaka district. NOTE: get out at same place, or taxi will charge each.

ABOUT DAY TRIP - do it from Paros -- picks up later, returns you earlier. If you are staying in Parikia, you do have to go up to Naoussa to get the boat. THere are 2 companies doing these trips, one runs the Naxos Star, one runs HM Alexander - choose the latter it is a heavier boat, smoother ride if it's a windy day. IN fact, good idea to get a weather forecast the day before, when you book.

travelerjan Apr 1st, 2010 03:54 PM

PS: if you do get the "dinner ferry" pop for the extra €4 for "reserved economy" since it's a longer ride & in evening. Just plain economy entitles you to a chair on deck, or along the corridors inside. With the "reserved" you may also sit on deck as long as you like, but after dark, when you want to come inside and read or nap, you are guaranteed a numbered, lean-back upholstered seat...