Greek Islands -- details, details...

Old Aug 19th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greek Islands -- details, details...

Hi all -- first let me thank travelerjan, brotherleelove, Weadles, stanbr, and others for their thoughtful advice on previous threads.

My wife-to-be and I are getting married on Sept. 4 and then leaving for a 10-night stay in Greece, arriving in Athens direct from the U.S. on the morning of Tuesday, Sept. 7. Our initial plan was two nights in Athens, then four nights in Santorini, three nights in Mykonos, and back to Athens for a final night -- boy am I glad I checked the forums! I feel like I dodged a bullet.

We're now planning to fly immediately from Athens to Santorini, then (tentatively) four nights in Santorini (we'll have missed most of Tuesday by then, so it'll really be three days there). I can't decide whether it's smarter to stay the remaining four nights all in Naxos or split them up, two nights in Naxos, two in Paros -- any advice on that question is very welcome! Finally, we'll return to Athens on Wednesday and spend two nights there.

Another question: where is it best to set up 'home base' on Santorini? Oia, Fira, and Firostefani all sound wonderful in their own ways, though right now I'm being lured by Firostefani -- quiet but very close to the action. Any thoughts on this? (Hotel recommendations are also welcome -- on Santorini, we're looking to spend under $300/night -- very nice but not ultra lux.) We'll rein in the hotel budget at the other locations.

Thanks again for any advice.

Best,
Nico
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 06:35 AM

Good for you Nico! But take action on Santorini flight NOW! This MOMENT! Later for hotels!

FLIGHT -- You say coming in Sept 7 "in the morning"... hoping you mean one of those non-stops that arrives 9, 9:15, 9:30. You're not in time for Aegean, but there is an Olympic at 12 Noon -- 136€, but it's "fully flexible" which means if (by some calamity) you don't make the connection, you get on the next flight at 14:30 (2:30). Book it. Now.

SANTO HOTEL -- Before we recommend, you don't say whether Pool is a Must. I too enjoy Firostephani, and it's SO much more convenient if u want to sample Fira nightlife without any hassle of bus or taxi. Here's a link that lists a lot of the Firostephani pool hotels, AND the rack-rate for 2010 (when u contact direct, may get better rates) but PROMISE that you won't click on the link until you book that flight!! .... you're already too late for a flight from Naxos back to Athens on Wed Sep 14.

More later, re Naxo or Paros or both...
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 06:42 AM

Whoops! Forgot to paste in that Firostephani pool-hotl link. Here it is: http://mykonos-accommodation.com/san...irostefani.htm (yes I know, it begins with the word mykonos but it's really about santorini).

As for flights from Naxos/Athens ... hmmm I think somethings funny with the website -- because it says No Flights, no matter what date is selected... so this option still may be open
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 06:48 AM

Re Santorini firostephani choices -- I of course have never stayed in these upscale pool places, but ones I've had good feedback about include Villa Ilias, Dana Villas and Anteliz. I thnk you should google "Hotel xxx Trip Advisor reviews" on any hotel you are considering ..
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 07:22 AM

Avoid Belvedere Hotel in Firostefani; while it has a great pool, good location and breakfast, nice staff, the rooms need LOTS of work (see my trip report). We were there a few weeks ago.

I do like Firostefani as a location, however--- easy walk to Fira, quieter than Fira, easy to find bus stop for trips to Oia and elsewhere, plus the caldera view, a big honeymoon plus. If you're a sushi lover, Ginger Sushi, highly rated everywhere, is in "Firostefani as well.

Sanotorini activities to google: Blue Lagoon cruises (for a worthwhile sunset dinner cruise with swim and snorkel stops all around the island, and santoriniwinetours.com, a sommelier-led trip through three local vineyards with lots of tasting included.

Enjoy!