greek islands at the end of sept

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 1997, 12:50 PM
bryan reynolds

My friends and are planning a trip to greece at the
end of sept, specifically to the islands. Our concern is the climate, but more importantly, this
is past the tourist season, will we find hotels,
restaurants, etc closed? Has anyone been to mykonos
or santorini during the month of sept? Do we have
anything to worry about?

Old Jul 14th, 1997, 02:16 AM
Pj Schott

Old Jul 14th, 1997, 02:19 AM
Pj Schott

can be a bit chilly. mykonos is lovely. my favorite island though is closer to athens. if you've read John Fowles book The Magus (magnificent) the island he calls Phraxos is Spetses (magical). The estate he writes about with a gate that says "Xara" (Joy) is really there. No cars. Fabulous hotel in the port (Poseidon). On the way is Hydra (a trendy, beautiful resort).

Old Jul 23rd, 1997, 10:03 AM
christina dany

nothing to worry about. the islands are beautiful in september, too. it may be a bit chilly in the evenings - take some warm clothes with you (1, 2 pullovers).
some nice hotels in mykonos:
APOLLO ($$), Paralía. small, only 8 rooms, but very cosy.
CAVO TAGOO ($$$), right beneath the old harbour. Very beautiful, best architecture, very friendly atmosphere. very recommendable.
PHILIPPI ($$), Odós N Kalogerá 32. quiet, cute garden, nice service, proper rooms.
ZORZIS ($$) Odós N Kalogerá. quiet, central, made vor relaxing.
some nice hotels in Santorini (Thíra):
ATLANTIS ($$$) luxurious.
ESPERIDES ($$$) fifty´s style, nice rooms with a view to the volcano.
LAUDA ($$), Oía. pretty, original, nice view.
LOUCAS ($$) on the cliffs, faboulos "terasse".
PERIVOLAS TRADITIONAL HOMES ($$$), pool, café, breakfest buffet, spectaculous views
TATAKI ($-$$) Open all year, for sure! (Don´t know exactly, if the others do so.)
So - have fun. Mykonos is a sbow, Santorini a dream.

Old Aug 11th, 1997, 12:38 PM
Kim Veeder

I'm going to Crete and one other island (can't decide) the 1st week in October. Do you know anything about the ferries? Are you going to Myconos? Do you know of any good, cheap, places to stay?

Old Aug 11th, 1997, 04:15 PM
sharron

My husband and I spent the first 3 weeks of October in Greece last year and had an incredible time. The further south you can travel the better, as the weather will stay warmer, longer. Santorini could be a little chilly at night but generally beautiful through October. I would recommend going to Crete and staying on the south side of the island if you want good weather, the warm winds blow from Africa and it is absolutely beautiful. Also check out Chania , pronoucned Hania,( in the northwest corner) a city with a rich history and a charming old town.