Greek Island suggestion ?

Apr 22nd, 2015, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Greek Island suggestion ?

Dear Everyone,

We are planning a trip for Greece this June.

We have decided to cover Athens & Santorini. Right now I want suggestions for another beautiful island which can be easily reached either from Athens or from Santorini.

We are not interested in night life , so not doing Mykonos.

We are interested to see some beaches which will have typical rock structures and clear water and a place with good food .Small village may be .

We will be happy to see an island which will be little different to Santorini. I was thinking to consider Naxos or Paros. But it seems to be very similar to Santorini in the pictures.

Thanks,

Smita.
Apr 22nd, 2015, 07:56 AM

While Naxos and Paros do have the traditional white buildings with blue trim the comparison with Santorini ends there. These are traditional islands with permanent population. They have good beaches and no cruise ships so there are no tourist hoards. Naxos has lovely interior mountain villages where you will see what Greece used to be like.
Better still accommodation and dining will be less than half what you will be paying in Santorini.
Here is an idea what to expect.
Naxos Mountains and Villages http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632110674306/
Naxos Town http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632094558042/
A week in Naxos https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr...7645113682278/
Trip around Naxos http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7634605629689/

However if you really want beaches with strange rock formations consider Milos.
You will still get the white and blue buildings (all of the Cyclades islands have those colours) but Milos is unique.
Milos 2011 http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632109429236/
Milos 2013 http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7634779985764/

All 3 islands have daily ferry service from Santorini but beware they are a long ferry ride back to Athens. Many people decide to fly back to Athens but you need to know the service is on Dash 8 aircraft with 30 passenger max. They book up fast so if you want to fly back you should choose your island soon and book.
Apr 22nd, 2015, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot ... I got quite lot of ideas. Thinking to consider Milos. The photoes and rocks in Milos are too impressive.
Apr 22nd, 2015, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Hello friends...We have time with us... So along with Athens , Santorini & Milo..Can you suggest one more Island which can be covered. The island should be connected from Milo & Athens.

We are doing Athens , then Santorini , then Milo. We will have to go back to Athens for our flight back home.

Thanks.
Smita
Apr 22nd, 2015, 10:56 PM

Do you still have 7 days as you posted on an other forum Smita? If so, this is a crazy itinerary.
Apr 22nd, 2015, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

hey we have 10 days Now.... excluding travel days. So I am very confused about another Island. We dont swim much or not kind live in beach kind of... So it will be a great help if you can help me with Itinerary... Do you think we can do Zykonthos ?? Or you can suggest another one which will be little different experince for us as compared to Milos & Santorini.
Apr 23rd, 2015, 12:16 AM

Two islands plus Athens is already a busy itinerary for a 10 day trip, and adding a third island would only spoil your enjoyment of the others (unless, of course, you just love spending your time on ferries). ;-)

Zakynthos is in a different sea on the other side of Greece from Santorini and Milos. Don't even think about it.
Apr 23rd, 2015, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

Opps... Ok. Noted. We wont consider Zakynthos . What about Crete ? Is it a better option .. In that case we will cancel Milos and will only do Crete along with Santorini .. Suggestions required Please.

Also reviews required for Milos ? and comparision between Milos & Crete ?
Apr 23rd, 2015, 02:14 AM

If you choose Crete instead of Milos you will need even more time for that huge island. Personally I prefer Naxos or Paros, which are on the same main ferry route as Santorini, and closer to the mainland for your return to Athens. Naxos, especially, is a real contrast from Santorini in just about every way. Even the architecture is different — same white colour, but different construction techniques after the 1956 earthquake destroyed half of the buildings on the island.
Apr 23rd, 2015, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Dear Heimdall, Thank you so so much for your suggestions. Really helped a lot. Do you feel Milos is a worth going place ? Pictures are tempting. But i can see not much people are talking about Milos as compared to other islands .

Last question - Naxos & Paros ?? If I have to consider one which one it should be ?
Apr 23rd, 2015, 03:24 AM

Hi, that last question is a hard one! I think Naxos has a slight edge for first-time visitors to the Greek Islands, as it has a little bit of everything. I actually prefer Paros and its smaller neighbour Antiparos, but that's because I have been going there for years, and put relaxing before sightseeing. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty to see on Paros as well, and you will be happy with whichever you choose. Naoussa on Paros is an idyllic location, as is Antiparos.

Milos is in the Western Cyclades, which is less visited than Naxos and Paros. Ferry connections in summer are more reliant upon small catamarans, although there are also conventional ferries most days of the week. The larger permanent populations of Naxos and Paros mean more large car ferries visit there. Blue Star, for example, has twice daily ferries from Piraeus to those islands, but no ferries to the Western Cyclades at all.
Apr 23rd, 2015, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Heimdall. Great Help.
Apr 23rd, 2015, 11:46 AM

I recommend you Folegandros which is a wonderful laid-back island with one of the most beautiful towns in the Cyclades. Sifnos is also a gorgeous islands with beautiful villages and ancient towns. Check them out!