Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greek island choices - Santorini and where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Athens to Santorini, I'm looking for an island that has a beautiful beach and peace and quiet. Sort of the opposite of Mykonos, which I really liked in the off-season. We would be staying 3-4 days and just want to decompress. Any ideas would be very helpful.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 07:38 AM

Not along the way, but beyond is Crete, where you'd be able to find a place like that. I'm sure somebody on here will know of a good island en route to Santorini. What month are you going?
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 07:42 AM

Crete is wonderful, but I find it more for exploring. However, yes there are wonderful relaxing beaches on the south in particular.

One of my favorite spots was Simi -- a small, peaceful island. We stayed at the wonderful little Aliki Hotel, a former sea captain's house and sat on our balcony a lot. There are tiny little remote beaches a quick boat trip or hike away. And the village is wonderful at night. Very few hotels, but lots of locals and a couple of the best restaurants I went to in all of Greece. Oh, yea, I could decompress there!!!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Sorry! I should have posted more information on the timing, etc. We are going the very end of May and beginning of June for 12 days with the last 2-3 in Athens. The trip is a Christmas present so I was trying to put together the outline to give as the gift.

I've been to Greece before but never thought about going to Crete and don't really know much about it. Are there quiet areas on the coast that are easily accessible without a car?
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 08:07 AM
cmt

The extremely quiet areas on the coast are accessible by hiking or by boat, but not by car/bus/train.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 08:48 AM
brotherleelove2003

From Santorini the closest and quietest island is Anafi. Use this website once you're closer to your departure date to help determine the ferry schedules. They're not yet posted for next year.

http://www.gtpnet.com/

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 09:24 AM

How about Koufonissi or Donoussa? I understand they both have beautiful beaches and are very quiet and peaceful.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

These are all great ideas for my research. How is Sifnos? It seems easily accesible from Santorini and to Piraeus. I don't want to spend too much time moving around and/or getting from one place to another, if possible.