Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Greek hotel advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/greek-hotel-advice-178999/)

moxiee Aug 22nd, 2001 05:12 AM

Greek hotel advice

Hi all, <BR> We'll be in Greece from late Sept to early Oct. We need advice on each of the following hotels: <BR> <BR>++ Athens ++ <BR>Herodion Hotel <BR>Philippos Hotel <BR> <BR>++ Mykonos ++ <BR>Semeli Hotel <BR>Belvedere Hotel <BR> <BR>++ Santorini ++ <BR>@Fira <BR>Aigialos Hotel <BR>Enigma Apartment <BR>@Oia <BR>Atlantis Villas <BR>Esperas Traditional Houses <BR> <BR>We'll be in Santorini for 3 days, should we stay only in Fira or Oia, or should we split the dates? <BR> <BR>Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks. <BR> <BR>-JH <BR>

bobbie Aug 22nd, 2001 05:26 AM

I can't comment on the hotels you mentioned since I stayed at different ones in Athens and Santorini but I would advise staying at the same place (Santorini) for the three days since they're not very far apart and why spend the time checking out/in. I stayed in Fira and loved the location for its activity and shopping and magnificent sunsets! Lucky you, I wish I were going back!

Mikki Aug 22nd, 2001 06:31 AM

I would stay in one spot in Santorini since you are there only there 3 days. We stayed in Oia in June. We stayed at the Atlantis Villas and enjoyed it very much. We had a very private (large) terrace and it was a convenient walk into town. Be prepared for lots of steps in Santorini. The pool area and the view were very nice. <BR> <BR>Have you checked to see if all the shops and restaurants will be open in October. If you have any more questions I'll check back on this posting. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

top Aug 22nd, 2001 11:10 AM

Anna Aug 22nd, 2001 12:41 PM

I would stay in one spot in Santorini. We stayed at the Esperas in June and it was wonderful. If you do a search, you will find more information/comments on the Esperas.

Erica Aug 22nd, 2001 05:19 PM

We stayed at Herodion Hotel in Athens (this past May.) It was clean, comfortable and a reasonably convenient location - about 5-10 minute walk to the Plaka and just down the street from Acropolis. Rooftop garden has spectacular view of the Parthenon (especially lovely at night.) <BR> <BR>In Mykonos, we stayed at Petasos Beach Hotel - not on your list but I recommend it (lovely location and wonderful staff.) <BR> <BR>Enjoy!

CJ Aug 22nd, 2001 07:57 PM

You can see my other postings on this site to see that I am not a big fan of Santorini -- I know I'm in the minority -- but I did like the Atlantis Villas hotel. Had a nice, large room that is actually featured in their brochure. Breakfasts on the terrace with breathtaking views were amazing. Loved the pool -- and not that many hotels had them. Oia is much better than Fira, in my opinion, but choose Fira if you plan to be up all night partying -- it's more lively. I agree with the others -- only choose one (instead of splitting up the 3 days) since they are so close to each other. Be sure to visit the red sand beach, the tavernas in Ammoudi (the freshest seafood ever), and 1800 for dinner. <BR> <BR>In Athens, we stayed at the Electra Palace hotel and had a view of the Acropolis (had to insist to get this). I was really happy to be staying in the Plaka district -- it has more character, and nice restaurants. I can't offer any advice for Mykonos. Have a nice trip!

Reenie Aug 23rd, 2001 06:24 AM

Having made over 25 trips to Greece, I would suggest staying in the Plaka. The Electra Palace is the only one with a swimming pool (that I am aware of) and you will be floating in water with an unforgettable view of the Acropolis looming overhead. Another place I have stayed many times which is also right in the Plaka is the Nefeli Hotel...less expensive than the Electra, very clean and family run. The Plaka is full of outdoor restaurants, great little shops, and is the path to the Acropolis. It has the most authentic old buildings left in Athens with a flavor of "old world" charm.