I'm new here so feel free to chastise me if I make any missteps in my first post
I'll be getting married this coming May 2011 (!!) and we're 99% settled on Greece as our honeymoon destination!! I was hoping I could come here to pick the brains of the resident experts.
We stopped by a travel agent and I was actually in shock at how unhelpful they were, I've spent the past two days learning much more in these forums than their pamphlets and pretty dull lecture. Anyway, on to the dates we're working with and what we're trying to do!
We'd be looking to leave May 30th or 31st (from the East Coast of the US) and return somewhere between June 9th and 11th (so as many as 13 days and possibly as few as 10). From what I've read here we'll be going during a pretty good time, as the in-season will just be starting to heat up, but nothing will be too crowded, hot, or expensive (we hope!).
The general gist of what we're thinking of doing is as follows:
Arrive in Athens
Spend a day or two in Athens taking in the sights
Depart for an island (Naxos, perhaps?)
Spend 3-4 days there
Depart for island #2 (Santorini?)
Spend the remainder of our time there
Fly home (I read somewhere we could fly directly from Santorini to England then back to the states from there, which would be nice, I think - but does that make any sense/make anything easier?)
We were considering Mykonos as well (and I'd love to visit out-of-the-way Rhodes), but we're leaning towards spending quality time on a smaller number of islands rather than hopping from place to place just for the sake of saying "I went there" and not really getting to enjoy it. So... we're open to anything from here. The more islands we visit the better? Should we substitute Naxos for Mykonos or somewhere else (pretty set on Santorini, though)? I've seen some people suggest bouncing right from Athens to an island without leaving the airport if plane schedules allow... is that recommended? I really want to see the historical sights in Athens, but I suppose doing it at the end of the trip instead would be okay if that makes other things work better. At this point our hearts are set on very little so we're open to any suggestions.
Thanks so much for your help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Highway Death Rates in Europe Now Fewer than in U.S...
- 2 Manchester Christmas Markets 2017
- 3 Change of resident
- 4 How best to see the Douro Valley?
- 5 Sixt Car Rental? Good/Bad? Any reviews/experiences?
- 6 The World's Greatest Churches
- 7 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 8 Italy with kids - off the beaten bath
- 9 Driving
- 10 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 11 Problem with Trip Advisor
- 12 Bilbao, Basque Country, declared Best European City 2018
- 13 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 14 Copenhagen, Stockholm & Bergen April 2018
- 15 Champs E.....no market ‘this year? How will it look?
- 16 Need Car & Driver for Southern Italy
- 17 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 18 Viking Cruise Tours (Barcelona and French Riviera)-- Please Help
- 19 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 20 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 21 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 22 10 days trip to Europe in June of 2018
- 23 GTG Paris December 2017
- 24 Paris or Rome dinner recommendations
- 25 Malaga Christmas lights