Search

Greek ferries and kids

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
tn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greek ferries and kids

I am traveling from Athens to Naxos with a family. This looks like a five hour ride. I have heard we can get deck seating or seating inside. I have two younger kids (6 and 8) and I am a little concerned about having them out on the deck for five hours. Any thoughts on the best way to do this? Also, should I buy these tickets in advance or in Greece?
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:41 AM

Outside seating is actually mostly in covered areas on plastic chairs around some patio tables. Indoor economy lounges have reserved aircraft-style seating but you can still get up and wander around the ship. I see on another post that you will be travelling in Greece in July? If so you might want to book ahead of time just to be sure you get what you want. You can do it easily online on the Blue Star Ferry website or with Amphitrion Holidays.

AH has a desk in the Main Hall of the Athens Airport, and for an extra 2 euro you can pick up your tickets there when you first arrive. They're located between Exit/Entry doors 2&3 in the Main Hall, open 24/7. Because you're travelling with youngsters I recommend this method of purchase to avoid the mad crush of tourists at the ticket offices at the Athens/Piraeus ferry port in July.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:42 AM

I forgot to mention that the indoor seating is only a few euro more per ticket.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:41 AM

Keep your chldren close to you tn when you leave the ship particularly if it is rear exit. It can be haphazerd with motor vehicles and people trying to leave at the same time.

Bill
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 04:24 PM
tn
Original Poster

Thank you both your advice. B2004, very helpful. I will book ahead and the advice for the airport was great. I will definetly follow up on that.