2 weeks in Greece

Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 weeks in Greece

My husband and i are planning to go to Greece on 1st June (tickets not booked yet) for 2 weeks. We have booked 7 days in Crete to get some relaxation time in, but wondering what we can do for the second half of the holiday.

Although we are interested in seeing Greece, we dont want to be spending our whole time packing and travelling from one place to the next - so perhaps spend a few days in Athens and go to another island? Just not sure where and what would make sense in terms of accessability.

We would be interested in perhaps doing a few day trips when we're in Crete (again not sure where to go) to do a bit of exploration, see some sights and get a good feeling for what Greece is all about.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an itinerary?

Thanks!
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 09:04 AM

I'd first set out to minimize travel and avoid backtracking by determining the travel options to and from Crete. If you are flying round-trip through Athens, for example, I'd fly to Crete immediately, and then make my way back to Athens via ferry, stopping on one island. Or vice versa of course (ferry out and fly back--might work better). I find the Greek ferries mystifying, but I know there are lots of options from Heraklio.
I dream of visiting Crete but can never make it happen--are you sure you don't want two weeks there?
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 09:11 AM

The main link to other islands by ferry from Crete is Heraklion > Santorini. From Santorini you can take other ferries to Naxos, Paros, Mykonos, etc. You could visit one of those islands for a few days, then finish up in Athens.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks yorkshire and Heimdall... we were thinking about Santorini but reckon would want to spend a week there at least so may leave that for another trip. another option is we just spend 10 days in Crete and then a few days in Athens sightseeing and perhaps doing a day trip here and there...any thoughts on whether that would be a better option so not trying to cram everything in? is there alot to do and see in Crete?
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 02:17 PM

We've been dying to get to Crete for years and haven't been able to manage it (the Peloponnese keeps luring us back!). If you're into ancient ruins, Crete has several besides Knossos which is known worldwide. Ancient Gortys looks fascinating to me. Chania looks to be an absolutely lovely town, the archaeology museum in Iraklio looks world class, there is the S. gorge to explore, the island of Spinalonda (i may have butchered the spelling)... I'd think you could easily fill up ten days . There are some Greek experts on Fodors; hopefully they will see your post and offer more detailed advice.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 05:51 PM

I also love the Peloponnes. There is so much to see and great beaches.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 06:16 PM

You only mention "relaxation", it is hard to advice based on that, even this might mean different things to different people...

Crete is a huge Greek island of 8,336 km2 (3,219 sq mi).
Santorini is a tiny island of 90.69 km2 (35 sq mi) .

Depending on your interests you can spend one week even on the tiniest place, but if you feel 1 week is enough on Crete (where exactly?)on this trip, I see no reason saving Santorini for a future trip...Why not to go for 3-4 nights and get a glimpse of the island? It will be your transport hub for ferry travel from Crete anyway...

There might be some ferry options Crete to Rhodes, but it is a long ferry ride and Rhodes is large too, so I would skip this time...

Flying Crete to Athens, you can make side trips to islands in close proximity, for example Aegina, Hydra... Mainland has many interesting options too, why only islands?

You need to specify your interests in order to get detailed advice ...
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:51 PM

Go to Crete, and relax on the southern coast. I recommend the Mirthios and Plakias area. If you want to spend time on the northern coast, go to Chania. Plan to rent a car in Crete to explore. Then take a ferry from Heraklion to Santorini for a couple of days. From there take a ferry to Paros for 4-5 days and take a ferry, or fly, back to the mainland. Enjoy!