Greece/Turkey Itinerary - Sept. 2001

Apr 30th, 2001, 06:05 PM
Eunice

Greece/Turkey Itinerary - Sept. 2001

Here's our rough itinerary. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if these plans seem too ambitious. Also, should we spend one more night on an island and cut one day from the Istanbul trip? And do we need to make reservations for flights between islands and hotels in advance or can we wait until we arrive since we're traveling in mid-September?

September 16: We are planning on flying into Athens during the afternoon and will stay 1 night.
September 17: The next morning we will fly from Athens to Santorini. Spend 2 nights in Santorini.
September 19: Take a ferry from Santorini to Naxos. Spend 2 nights in Naxos.
September 21: Take a ferry from Naxos to Mykonos. Spend 2 nights in Mykonos.
September 23: Fly from Mykonos to Athens. Fly from Athens to Istanbul. Spend 4 nights in Istanbul.
September 27: Fly from Istanbul back to Athens. Spend 1 night in Athens.
September 28: Fly home from Athens.

Thanks for your help.

Eunice

Apr 30th, 2001, 10:54 PM

May 1st, 2001, 06:24 AM
Paulo

Eunice

For starters I wouldn't trade a day in Istanbul for an extra day in the islands. Istanbul is an amazing city and, considering the length of your trip, 4 days there look just right.

On the other hand, your plans for the islands look quite "tight", specially if you're planning to make all hotel reservations in advance. In case you decide playing it by ear, with no prior commitments, things may adjust better. Having only 6 nights to spare may be too thin to plan for 3 islands offhand.

There's another factor that has to be taken into consideration. Chances are that you may easily travel from Mykonos to either Naxos and Santorini but not the other way round (from Naxos or Santorini to Mykonos). This is so because unless you're able to take one of the infrequent direct ferries between Santorini and Mykonos, a change in Paros is called for ... and from Santorini to Mykonos you're not able to make the connection.

Therefore, in your shoes, I'd reserve the flights from Athens to Mykonos on Sep 17th and from Santorini to Athens on Sep 23rd. I'd also reserve for 2 nights in Mykonos. From there I'd play it by ear. There shouldn't be any problems extending the stay in Mykonos. If I decided going for Naxos, no problems, There should be a daily Catamaran leaving Mykonos at 10am, arriving in Paros at 10:40am. From there, there's another catamaran leaving at 10:50am and arriving at 11:20 in Naxos. From Naxos to Santorini there aren't any problems. If I decided to axe Naxos, I could use the same scheme as above, arriving in Santorini at 12:50pm. I could also opt for a flight. In other words, all options would be open.

For ferry schedules, refer to
http://www.gtp.gr/RoutesForm.asp

For flight schedules, refer to
http://www.olympic-airways.gr/flights/oaflttimseauk.htm

Paulo

May 1st, 2001, 08:59 AM
Eunice

Paulo, thanks again for your wonderful advice!

Eunice

May 1st, 2001, 09:10 AM
mike

a quick question for paulo:

i'll be traveling from mykonos to santorini with paros as a 2 night stopover in the first two weeks of june..i have checked the gtp website and found single daily ferries from myk to paros and paros to santorini, is there a need book tickets in advance? i doubt the ferry will be full but i would hate to miss the ferries/hotel reservation..
thanks for any help,
mike

May 1st, 2001, 10:13 AM
amy hutt

Another one for Paulo -

Going to Cyclades islands end of May. Is it necessary to pre-book the inter island flights on Olympic or can you just simply show up at the airport and purchase a ticket for the next flight?

Thanks Paulo (or anyone else who may know)

Amy