Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Greece Trip HELP! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/greece-trip-help-275584/)

Kasia Nov 24th, 2002 01:46 PM

Greece Trip HELP!

I'm starting to plan my 1 yr wedding anniversary trip to Greece. We plan to travel in early September 2003 for probably 10 days or so.<BR><BR>I'm looking for some HELP in planning my trip. We will probably fly into Athens and stay for a day or so to see the historic sites. Where would you recommend visiting? Some of my initial thoughts are:<BR>* Santorini<BR>* Mykonos<BR>* Crete<BR>* Rhodes<BR>* Kos<BR>We are in our Early 30's and like to dine in fine restaurants, love to hang out on the beach and enjoy the people and culture. <BR><BR>Would love any suggestions. <BR><BR>Thanks<BR>

sue Nov 24th, 2002 03:21 PM

All of the above islands are wonderful. It is too much to do in 10 days. You need at least one week for Crete. So I would concentrate on Crete or cut it from the trip. I love Mykonos and Santorini and Rhodes has the best beaches and up scale shopping. Also, do not forget the Peloponese. There are wonderful antiquties and lovely beach towns there. I do suggest you stay in Athens two days and then on each island for 2-3 days. You will have to decide which isalnds you really want to see. What ever you do you will have a great time.

John Nov 25th, 2002 10:41 AM

As far as Athens is concerned i think that the following site is very helpful: www.athensguide.com

cd Nov 25th, 2002 11:30 AM

Sue<BR>Why a week on Crete?

sue Nov 25th, 2002 05:10 PM

Crete is a very big island and has a lot of intereting places to explore and I think it deserves more than a day or two. I think you could even stay longer than a week, but most people do not have the luxury of doing that, unless crete is THE destination. Others might disagree.

Byron Nov 25th, 2002 05:16 PM

For fine dining, we recommend 1800 in Oia, Santorini. In Athens, we tried Daphni's. We heard Arestera - Dexia (spelling)in Athens is the &quot;now place&quot; to visit. We just went this September for 10 days. Recommend Athens 2 days, Peleponesse, Meteora and spend a few days in Santorini.

cd Nov 25th, 2002 06:35 PM

Is there a one day tour to Cairo available by plane?

cd Nov 25th, 2002 06:39 PM

A one day tour from CRETE to Cairo..sorry

jmartin Nov 25th, 2002 08:30 PM

I just returned from Greece in Oct. Rented a car in Crete...most of the trip was boring on hairpin curve ...towards the north there were a few cute towns...3 days was more than enough as we drove the entire island. A few mountain towns where tourists are sold lines. The views and sunsets in Santorini were breathtaking. I enjoyed the island of Naxos, easy to walk from the beaches (very pretty) to town and the island of Amorgos is beautiful, unspoiled, not a lot of tourists but not a lot to do. Mykonos is nice too. Have fun.

k Nov 26th, 2002 03:55 AM

Good choices all! I'd agree that a day or 2 in Athens is all you need. The historic sites are a must, but other than that, it is not a great city, IMHO. I LOVED Mykonos and Santorini, spent 3 days on each, and spent 3 days on Crete, which was plenty.<BR><BR>Since you have 10 days - I'd pick 2 or 3 islands. I haven't been to the others you mentioned, but Mykonos and Santorini I thought were a nice contrast - Mykonos is hopping at night, and Santorini is quieter but stunningly beautiful. I liked going from one to the other. I could have stayed longer in Santorini, so if you want a less hectic schedule, just pick 2 islands and make it more leisurely.<BR><BR>Have a great time! You will love it.

Zosia Nov 26th, 2002 04:03 AM

We spent two weeks on Crete and it wasn't enough.<BR>Depends what you like but do not try to cover more than two islands if you have only 10 days and you will include 2 nights in Athens which is really only one full day to see all magnificent ancient sites there

Kasia Nov 26th, 2002 10:03 AM

WOW<BR>Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. <BR><BR>As we only have 10 days, I want to try to visit 2-3 islands. <BR>I figure we can visit Athens for 2 days and then I'm pretty much sold on Santorini for 3 days. <BR><BR>So with 5 days left to plan, what would your suggestions be?<BR>Is it too ambitious to go to Mykonos for 2 days and then maybe a beautiful, less touristy, untouched island? I don't want to miss the Mykonos experience but I know I don't want to spend 3-4 days there either. <BR><BR>HELP!!Suggestions.....<BR>NAXOS<BR>RHODES< BR>PELOPENESE

Paul Beckett Nov 26th, 2002 11:28 AM

If your looking for good food and a chilled atmosphere, try Skiathos. Lots of harbourside tavernas, with a lush green landscape, beautiful sunsets, and easy accsess to the surrounding islands from it's pretty harbour.

thanos Nov 26th, 2002 12:34 PM

Three islands on the ferry route back from Mykonos to Athens that are well worth checking out are:-<BR><BR>Tinos (1 hour from Myk)<BR><BR>Syros (1.5 hours)<BR><BR>Andros (2.5 hours)<BR><BR>thanos