Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Greece to Turkey (and back) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/greece-to-turkey-and-back-928269/)

UmaT Mar 19th, 2012 07:11 AM

Greece to Turkey (and back)

Our plan to Greece includes a short visit to Turkey (3 nights in Istanbul) and I am wondering if there is a way to get from Athens to Istanbul and back to Naxos (without having to stop in Athens again on the way back).

Thanks in advance for your response.

clausar Mar 19th, 2012 07:29 AM

The fastest ( and only way) is to fly from/to Athens.
If your trip includes Athens, Naxos and Istanbul,the best thing to do would be :

fly to Athens, and then continue on same day to Naxos. ( you can either fly to Naxos or take the ferry boat).
Then go back to Athens, spend a few days there, and then fly to Istanbul and from there to your country.

This way you won't be backtracking.

brotherleelove2004 Mar 19th, 2012 07:29 AM

It depends on your timing. Atlas Jet and Pegasus Air both fly summer charters from Istanbul to Mykonos, and from Mykonos you will be able to catch a ferry to Naxos. You might have to spend one night on Mykonos to do this.

UmaT Mar 19th, 2012 08:38 AM

I cannot seem to find the Mykonos airport listed on either Atlas Jet or Pegasus Air. What airport should I be looking for? Thanks.

clausar Mar 19th, 2012 08:45 AM

Before spending a night on Mykonos, taking the ferry anyway etc, wouldn't it be more simple to go to Athens and fly from there?

brotherleelove2004 Mar 19th, 2012 08:51 AM

Atlas and Pegasus won't list Mykonos on their websites until those flights are offered. It's just too soon. If you have to confirm something this early then I think your only option is to fly back through Athens.

UmaT Mar 19th, 2012 10:13 AM

@clausar: Our RT is from the US to Athens...it was the least expensive option. So, flying out of Istanbul (back to the States) has been ruled out.

@brotherleelove2004: That is good to know. Do you happen to know when those charter flights start running?

Heimdall Mar 19th, 2012 11:40 AM

UmaT, I see from another post you are travelling in early May, less than two months from now. I could be wrong, but I doubt charters from Istanbul will be flying that early in the year, and if they were, would surely already be taking bookings.

Keep checking if you wish, but it seems to me you will have to fly back to Athens and proceed from there to Naxos as clausar suggested. If you can time your Istanbul-Athens flight accordingly, it may be possible to connect with an Athens-Naxos flight so you don't even have to leave the airport. That would probably be quicker than going through Mykonos anyway, as you may have to stay overnight there before you can get a ferry to Naxos. :-)

brotherleelove2004 Mar 19th, 2012 11:46 AM

Heimdall's got it right. If you're travelling in May those charter flights are most likely not going to be available.