Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Greece this summer - should I still go due to economic conditions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/greece-this-summer-should-i-still-go-due-to-economic-conditions-830066/)

brandonmd Mar 9th, 2010 03:13 AM

Greece this summer - should I still go due to economic conditions?

My partner and I have booked a 7 night Greek Island cruise this summer with 2 days in Athens prior to the cruise. Due to the recent political and economic issues, is it still advisable to take this trip?

annhig Mar 9th, 2010 03:26 AM

of course, why not?

the Greeks will be very pleased to see you, you'll get a very good exchange rate, and as you're on a cruise, the very small chance of your encountering any demonstrations is further reduced.

what exactly are you concerned about?

eliza61 Mar 9th, 2010 03:39 AM

Not sure where your posting from but if it's the US, our economy is in the crapper also. So if I've got my choice might as well go and have a gorgeou scene to look at.
Look at it as you're stimulating the Greece economy. LOL

travelgourmet Mar 9th, 2010 03:48 AM

I wouldn't be worried about safety or anything, but I would consider travel insurance should there be any widespread strikes or other protests that might disrupt your travel. Greece isn't going to turn into Sierra Leone overnight, but there is an element that hasn't taken too kindly to past austerity measures and proved disruptive to getting around.

travelerjan Mar 9th, 2010 04:25 AM

Other travel forums have participation from people, Greeks and non-Greeks, who actually live in Greece permanently, and who have a realistic on-the-scene perspective. They point out that certain international media sources (CNN and BBC particularly) delight in portraying demonstrations (a group of students or professors carrying placards) as "riots," and predicting dire actions. It is also pointed out that demonstrations take place typically on Tuesday through THursday, because anything near the weekends has very poor attendance. Also it is noted that any actions are very rare during the summertime, because (1) Greeks are well aware of the importance of tourism, the country's #1 source of revenue and (2) Greeks themselves, when they can, take time off in the warm weather.

That being said, there may be the occasional 'job action' that might affect transportation on a short-term basis... but certainly not involving a cruise. And it would be announced in advance, so people can plan accordingly (i.e., take the Metro instead of a taxi).

All countries in Europe, in my experience, have occasional disruptions due to demonstrations or job actions -- I have encountered them in France and Italy. I do not know why people seem so timorous about protests in Greece; it must be how it is presented by the media. And it seems mainly to intimidate those who are new to travel outside the US.

brandonmd Mar 9th, 2010 05:56 AM

Some of the news reports portray Athens as so unsettled, that one may not want to visit. I am not concerned about the islands... so I thought I would ask on this forum... from a lot of knowledgeable travelers. :)

yiassas Mar 9th, 2010 07:32 AM

As a Brit living in Greece I can add that I see no reason to change your plans. Please don't believe the 'so unsettled' portrayals, that sells news, the truer description of a couple of strike days & some small demonstrations over a couple of months doesn't sound quite as dramatic does it?
I will be going to Athens myself for 5 days in 3 weeks time, again a month later, & several more visits throughout the year. Will I change my plans? No.

JMWF Mar 9th, 2010 08:31 AM

athens is a dump anyway...

skip it and enjoy the cruise - the islands are wonderful and likely well sheltered from the protests / strikes in athens

brotherleelove2004 Mar 9th, 2010 09:12 AM

athens is a dump anyway...

Yeah, who want to look a a bunch of old broken buildings? Who cares about the history of the modern world, the birthplace of democracy, philosophy, modern medicine, art and world commerce?

JMWF Mar 9th, 2010 09:14 AM

fair enough - too bad the city that was built around such wonderful history / culture is a dump.

yiassas Mar 9th, 2010 10:08 AM

Same as any city, it has some parts that aren't so nice or worth visiting, but it has so much more than your average city that IS worth seeing. I think Athens is wonderful & the more often I go, the more I find to see (8 times last year).

iris1745 Mar 9th, 2010 10:44 AM

We enjoyed Athens and if time permits, would return. Richard

telechick Mar 9th, 2010 12:08 PM

Athens is no more of a "dump" than any other major city. I lived there for several years and visit every couple. I really enjoy it. There are some very nice neighbourhoods, although I do agree that in the summer the nefos (smog) can be a little off-putting.

brandonmd Mar 9th, 2010 12:58 PM

The cruise leaves from there, and 2 days are included as part of the package. Thanks for all your replies... I am originally from Detroit MI... so I know all about dumpy cities

travelgourmet Mar 9th, 2010 01:06 PM

<i>Athens is no more of a "dump" than any other major city.</i>

We'll agree to disagree. It isn't the dumpiest city I have ever been in, but it ain't in the same league as many other major cities.

brandonmd Mar 9th, 2010 01:41 PM

What is the dumpiest major city you have been in?