Reload this Page >

Greece Schedule Consistency-Ferries, Airplanes

Old Feb 4th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all.
With help of this forum, I have booked flights to/from Athens and hotels in the islands and cities we want to visit. I would like to pre-book flights and ferries between the islands and I was wondering how reliable you all feeling the posted schedules will be when our days of travel arrive in Sept.

I assume flights on Aegean Air will be safe to book now, as in their schedules will remain the same (barring drastic events). Would you agree?

Regarding ferries between Mykonos-Naxos and Naxos-Santorini, do you think the schedules of the boats will be more or less accurate? I understand weather can cause delays. Basically, I want to inform hotels of our arrival times (and I'm one of those people who prefers to research and prebook) so if I purchase a 9:30am ferry to Naxos in mid-Sept, do you feel it would be accurate and vaild on that day of travel?

Lastly, if you have any tips on booking ferries and/or thoughts on the economy vs nicer tickets, please let me know. I'm leaning towards nicer reservations as this is one trip that is going to be spendy and we might as well live it up a little since we're generally quite frugal on other vacations.

As always, thank you for your thoughts.
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 01:04 AM

Why are you thinking about pre-booking ferries for mid-September? None will be full that time of year, so just buy your tickets when you get to Greece.

For Blue Star buy numbered aircraft type seats or business class tickets. I prefer business class, and the ticket price isn't all that much higher. For Sea Jets and Hellenic Seaways all seats are numbered, and economy is just fine. You are already paying a premium for a high speed vessel, so why pay even more for business class or VIP?

"Regarding ferries between Mykonos-Naxos and Naxos-Santorini, do you think the schedules of the boats will be more or less accurate?"

Yes.

Timetables for Blue Star Ferries rarely, if ever, ever change once published. Blue Star runs a year-round service, and timetables for September will be almost identical to what they are now in February. They do add an additional ferry that stops at both Mykonos and Naxos from late June to early September.

Hellenic Seaways runs a seasonal service, and I have seen minor changes in their timetables, but once the season starts in May they don't change. Hellenic Seaways is a very reliable operator.

Sea Jets Consortium is notorious for publishing it's timetables early (probably to snag early planners) then changing them later. Again, once the season starts they usually stick with their plans. Sea Jets is another seasonal operator, laying up their catamarans over winter. Sea Jets seem to have problems keeping with their daily schedules, often running more than an hour late. Their smaller catamarans are cramped, and uncomfortable in rough seas.

Aegean Airlines and its sister service Olympic Air are very reliable — it is safe (and advisable) to book as soon as you find a good fare. Ticket prices for ferries are fixed, and will remain the same right up to the time of sailing.

I would use Blue Star for the trip between Naxos and Santorini — you can stand on the outside deck on that ferry, and the views are too good to be stuck inside a Sea Jets or Hellenic Seaways catamaran. For ferries between Mykonos and Naxos, Blue Star ends its service for that route on Sep 6th, and Hellenic Seaways on Sep 13th. That leaves Sea Jets as the only option after Sep 13th.
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 01:07 AM

BTW, for the trip from Naxos to Santorini (or vice-versa) you will probably want to stay on the outside deck of Blue Star to take in the views, so an economy ticket is all you need.
Old Feb 8th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Heimdall. I booked the inter-island flights and will probably hold off on purchasing the ferry tickets for now. Why pre-book ferries? Well, it's just the type of person I am. Call it the love of planning. But I see your point and it's good to know that I can wait to buy them day-of. Again, thank you for the info, very helpful.
Old Feb 8th, 2015, 09:22 AM

In past years there have been occasional flight schedule revisions with Aegean, so keep a sharp eye out on their website to make sure your flight hasn't been cancelled. They will notify you but it is a good idea to be pro-active in this regard. If you see a change send an email to Aegean giving them your flight/confirmation info and ask to be booked on whichever flight that's still available that will work for you. It can be an inconvenience, but it is sometimes necessary to be flexible. Also, if your plan is to fly out to an island the same day as your initial arrival in Greece be sure to give yourself a minimum of a 2-hour window for the connecting flight.