Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Greece or France???!!??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/greece-or-france-268284/)

RzzzA Oct 24th, 2002 01:40 PM

Greece or France???!!???

I plan to visit one of these two countries for about two weeks around December 2003.<BR><BR>Which country would be best for a ~2-week trip after having been in italy for 3 months???<BR><BR>THANKS!!!!!

xxx Oct 24th, 2002 04:04 PM

Partial to France

Rex Oct 25th, 2002 08:39 AM

For me, the answer would depend on where and to whom I was coming home.<BR><BR>I suspect that I would be eager to get back home. I assume that there are reasons why you can't make a three-day weekend (or several) to one or both of thses, during the three months?<BR><BR>With over a year to think about it, I would not lock into any air travel just yet.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Shar Oct 25th, 2002 09:28 AM

Also more partial to France. IF you were in Southern Italy, then you don't need to go to Greece as they have the same influences. The french countryside is beautiful as are their cities in fact we are going back in May 2003. I found Greece to be very dirty and polluted but not so France. Shar

M Oct 25th, 2002 11:22 AM

Depends on where in Greece. Athens is a hole and some of the islands will be filled with partying Europeans. France would be my choice.

Thyra Oct 25th, 2002 11:36 AM

Personal preference France... Greece is all about beaches etc. We aren't big beach people so didn't enjoy Greece quite so much as we could have.

ttt Oct 25th, 2002 01:28 PM

toppers<BR>

RzzzA Oct 25th, 2002 03:33 PM

thanks for the feedback!!! <BR><BR>It's not that i don't want to go home to my family asap but i figured it will be my first time in europe (it's a 3-month study abroad program based in florence but we will be visiting most of italy (and yes!) including southern italy--rome, amalfi, naples, pompeii) and i probably won't be back for a while since i am simply a struggling, recent college grad. (i still qualify for the program since i still take classes at this junior college as supplement and in preparation for grad school--so it's my little treat before hitting the books again!)<BR><BR>I came up with the money for the trip/program on my own and figured it'd be cheaper to stop by one other country while i'm in the continent rather than come back much later in my old age(!) just kidding!<BR><BR>yeah, i was leaning towards france also...since greece, as someone mentioned earlier, is more &quot;beachy&quot; and probably best in the spring/summertime...and i will be in europe in the fall...<BR><BR>any more comments/suggestions will be much appreciated!!! <BR>thank you, thank you, thank you!

xxx Oct 25th, 2002 03:55 PM

I loved Greece more than France. But since you are going in December, France might be a better option since Greece is best enjoyed in the late spring, summer, or early fall. Greece is also a lot cheaper than France for hotels and food. The ferrys may not be running from Italy to Greece during December, whereas you can easily take the train to France from Italy. If it were me, I would take the train to Paris (spend two days since it is cold outside) and southern France for a week, and fly to Athens for half of the second week (with daytrips to nearby sites) using it as the departing city home. You probably could save money by staying at hostels.

RzzzA Oct 25th, 2002 05:45 PM

good point about the ferry possibly not running in december...<BR><BR>any must-sees in france?<BR><BR>off the top of my head, i'm thinking paris, nice, provence...i'm not really a fan of jumping around too much if i can help it...i like to really get a feel for the cities i visit.<BR><BR>for housing options (i hope you're not getting sick of my questions), would b&amp;b's be a better option than hostels? i hear that some hostels don't provide sheets, is this true? should i bring my own or one of those sleep sacks?<BR><BR>while i'm at, what's your take on money belts? i'm of short, small stature and the ones i've seen on the web measure about 5&quot; x 11&quot; which seems rather big...should i opt for one of those neck pouches?...any other security suggestions?<BR><BR>i know i'm asking a lot of questions, but i'd rather ask now (and look naive along the way) than learn the hard way during the trip...thanks again!!!<BR>

elvira Oct 25th, 2002 06:15 PM

Hostels - most provide sheets, some don't. You can buy a silk sleepsack through travel gear stores and websites (they weigh almost nothing and fold up into a teeny pouch). I'm not crazy about the lockout that most hostels have (I prefer to drop off my souvenirs and other purchases rather than lug them around all day), so a B&amp;B, hotel or guesthouse is my preference. <BR><BR>Don't get hinky about security. If you're a guy, keep your wallet in the FRONT pocket (zippered is good), and if you're a woman, get a zippered or velcroed handbag and keep it under your arm or slung across your chest. I used to wear a money belt, then a neck pouch, but found that a small purse worn bandolier-style across my chest seemed just as secure and so far - knock on wood - have not had anything filched.<BR><BR>

gracie Oct 25th, 2002 07:30 PM

I'm partial to France as well. I like the b&amp;b's if choosing between that and hostels. <BR><BR>I've been lucky enough not to get my purse snatched, but I've been really careful and found myself checking every few minutes. I do wonder if a money belt or neck pouch is worth the money in exchange for peace of mind.<BR>Anyone?<BR><BR>I also feel that the money belts might be a bit uncomfortable and may require much looser pants. Also, what happens when you're sitting down?<BR>

bump Oct 25th, 2002 09:23 PM

bumpity bump

wonderful Oct 26th, 2002 04:39 AM

France would be my choice. I wouldn't try to see it all, but I wouldn't stay in one place either. I think I'd explore southern France (Provence, Riviera) the first week staying a couple nights in each spot, and base out of Paris the second.<BR>

Rex Oct 26th, 2002 04:56 AM

I said earlier that my answer would depend on &quot;context&quot; - - and you have kindly provided quite a bit more info.<BR><BR>But now, the questions is almost back to one of &quot;those&quot; questions - - &quot;Where should I go in Europe?&quot; Only you know the WHY you picked France and Greece as your two top contenders.<BR><BR>They seem faily different to me - - and particularly in December (though I have never been to Europe in the winter), there will be quite a contrast in the weather - - and both could be different from Florence. Paris more like Boston; Greece more like Savannah. I don't know how much the &quot;Christmas spirit&quot; pervades the culture of either country, though I think that Paris is just about as &quot;Christmas-y&quot; as NYC (minus the Rockettes, though!)<BR><BR>I would throw the question back to this: are you attracted to the LANGUAGE and CULTURE of France, or Greece? - - and do you want a contrast to &quot;back home&quot; (and Italy) - - or do you favor an &quot;extension&quot; of your Florence experience? Either country could do that. For greater contrast, I might propose the British Isles, or BeNeLux (moreover, you can get from Italy to either very affordably).<BR><BR>So, you have some great choices. I'd still recommend taking your time to think over all your options.<BR>

for Rzzza Oct 29th, 2002 04:56 PM

Thanks Fodors, for the clean up of this thread.<BR><BR>Oh, and hope you saw the good news, RzzzA. You can now get from Pisa to Paris VERY, very cheaply on www.airlibexpress.com<BR><BR>Hope they don't go out of business in the next 12 months (all airlines are cash scrapped; they are weaker than most).<BR><BR>