Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Greece no Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/greece-no-islands-157749/)

hora Aug 8th, 2001 07:50 AM

Greece no Islands

Going to Greece for two weeks but I don't like the Islands. I would like to see small towns and the country side. May I please have some advise .

x Aug 8th, 2001 09:30 AM

Huh? How can you not like Greek Islands. How about history, scenary, people? Why do you even think about going there. The Islands are part og Greece. Stay home

Katherine Aug 8th, 2001 09:30 AM

How refreshing that someone wants to see some of Greece besides islands! Go to Delphi and Meteora. If you don't want to drive there are lots of tours you can opt for when you get there. But take one that lets you stay overnight in both places. Delphi is a fun little town. The archeological site is beautiful. Look at photos on excite.com to get an idea of what you will find. And Meteora is where the incredible monestaries are perched on the rock outcroppings. You can visit some of the monesteries but be sure that ladies wear skirts. No pants allowed. (ugly skirts are available for rent) <BR> <BR>Aegina is the closest island and worth a visit for the towns and the ruins way up on the hill. Many people commute from Aegina to Athens. It's only about an hour by hydrofoil.

Pam Aug 8th, 2001 09:33 AM

We went to Delphi for several days and loved it. It's easy to take a bus there from Athens. The temple site is the main attraction, but the ambiance of the town is nice, too. How are you going to get around? We traveled by bus as we heard that trains in Greece don't go everywhere and are bad. If you're driving, you'll be able to get around better. But are you sure you don't want to go to any islands? Crete is marvelous, as is Santorini (at least in October, off-season it was).

Surlok Aug 8th, 2001 09:37 AM

You can visit the Peloponnese, many beautiful sites up there. Mystras, the Bizantine monastery, and also Mycenae, and Nafplion, a lovely town, although this one is on the coast. Monemvasia is interesting, too, but also coast side. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Katherine Aug 8th, 2001 09:40 AM

Surlok, you go to some interesting places! I think I'd like to read your book when you write it.

Surlok Aug 8th, 2001 10:07 AM

...And I still didn't tell you about Petra, in Jordan, nor about Poona, in India, but since this is the Europe board, it wouldn't be appropriate.. <BR> <BR>Just kidding. ;-) <BR> <BR>Surlok <BR> <BR>PS: still about Greece: Meteora: you don't have to wear a skirt, if you're wearing slacks, take a shawl with you and wrap it around your hips, it will work out the same.

Sue Aug 8th, 2001 10:13 AM

Hi, <BR> <BR>One of the most beautiful places I stayed in Greece was on the Pelion Pennisula. This is East of Volos. You need a car and the roads are very curvey, but the views are spectacular. This area of Greece is green and has a lot of water running from the mountains. There are wonderful towns on the hillside with beautiful views and lovely towns on the water. The beaches are white marble pebbles and the <BR>water is so clean. We stayed in St. Johns, but there are other towns. The food here is wonderful as the herbs from the hills infuse the food wonderfully. We went to this area before Meteora and were so glad we took the time to get there. Also the Peloponese is delightful. We stayed in a cute fishing and resort town called Nea Epidarvus (sp). We had a delighful hotel with a large balcony overlooking the harbor, our own bath, very clean for $40.00 a night. A lot of pleasure sail boats came in for the night and there was a wonderful festival for St. Peter while we were there (Greek dancing and fire works).There is a lot of ancient Greek site to see in this area. I agree that Delphi and Monemvasia are wonderful. I have read that other areas of the Mani are interesting and delighful, but I have not been there. Have fun!!!

Kavey Aug 8th, 2001 12:03 PM

Hora <BR> <BR>I do understand that all of us have very different preferences on what we like, there are places I don't like that many love... <BR> <BR>However, I hope you don't mind me asking how many Greek islands you have visited, and which ones? <BR> <BR>I have only visited 3 greek islands and I found each one profoundly different. <BR> <BR>I would be (genuinely) interested to know why you rule out all the islands. <BR> <BR>To answer your question, I haven't been, but a popular destination, and one a friend has also recommended to me, is Halkidiki (which seems to be pronounced with emphasis on the 2nd and 4th syllables). <BR> <BR>Kavey

sj Aug 8th, 2001 01:24 PM

Hora <BR> <BR>I highly recommend north western Greece. <BR>Use Ioannina as a base and travel from there. Places like Dodoni; Vikos Gorge; <BR>This whole area is called Epirus. <BR>I lived in the area for 2 years and it is my favorite part of Greece.

hora Aug 9th, 2001 08:21 AM

Thank you all ! History and people ? there is history and people on the land, I don't want to be polemic but,I belive the Islands have more tourist and the real flavor of Greece could be out of there.Your suggestion not to discard the Islands is well taken I'll probably include part of my time visiting them.All you gave me so much info. Thanks.I'll write again