Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Greece - just returned! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/greece-just-returned-852537/)

parosblue Aug 1st, 2010 09:18 AM

Greece - just returned!

Five beautiful weeks in the Greece - sound blissful? It was.
Tourism is down - the people are worried and rightly so as at the end of the season they will have lots of financial issues.
No problems for travelers - all transport went like clockwork.

KayF Aug 1st, 2010 09:47 AM

Glad you had such a good time, we are headed to Greece next week and can't wait. Hopefully we will have a smooth trip like you.

Where did you go? We are going to Santorini, Folegandros and Milos. This is about our fourth trip to Greece.

Kay

Heimdall Aug 1st, 2010 09:53 AM

Just as you said! And the dollar is up against the euro! Only three weeks in Greece for me this year, but the best in some time. :-)

parosblue Aug 5th, 2010 04:10 PM

Kay - I hope you check in again as I am excited you are going to Folegandros - we were there for a week and loved it. It is beautiful and relaxed - the atmosphere is wonderful and the fact that is small and out of way makes it all so enchanting. The views are great - the winds are strong as you are up on the cliffs. The beaches are harder to get to - take long walks there - or for a really fun day take the boat which will take you to 5 beautiful beaches and feed you lunch. We're not into tours, but this was a blast. Also, you can find short boat rides from the Karavostasis Beach. We stayed at Fata Morgana and had a lovely room - beautiful pool. Santorini is the more spectacular view and just a not-to-be-missed island. Bigger and more action. Just a gorgeous place - more beautiful than the pictures. I expect you will have a memorable trip - enjoy!!

parosblue Aug 5th, 2010 04:14 PM

Heimdall - You convinced us to spend a chunk of time hangin' out in Antiparos. We are Paros devotees, but had enough time to float over for 6 days and stay with Lillian at Mike's Place and felt right at home. The island was a great place to unwind at the beginning of our trip. Thanks again for all the advice you share on the forum.

lol2g Aug 5th, 2010 04:24 PM

So glad you posted.
We were just debating whether or not to change our plans to go to Greece in Oct because of the economic downturn there and us not wanting to be strained or be without convenient transportation around town.

Heimdall Aug 6th, 2010 12:07 AM

Hi parosblue,

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay on Antiparos. I first went there on a day trip from Paros, and was so taken with the island that the next day I checked out of my Parikia hotel and moved to Antiparos. It's a great location, because it has a laid-back atmosphere, but any time you get itchy feet you can hop on the ferry and be in Parikia in 30 minutes.

I have mixed feelings about promoting the island, though. We regulars would hate for the island to get too busy in June and September. Many of us stay there in May or June, then come back for a second trip at the end of August or in September, when sanity returns to the island. :-)

KayF Aug 22nd, 2010 01:16 AM

Hi Parosblue - we are back from our Greece trip now. Loved Folegandros, Milos was OK and Santorini spectacular. It was extremely hot and humid all the time, even at night it didn't get below about 27 C. Had a great time, very relaxing. I'll write a trip report as soon as I get a little time.

Kay

parosblue Aug 27th, 2010 06:21 PM

Kay so glad you enjoyed your trip.I would love to read about your stay in Folegandros - we loved it! Ruth

parosblue Aug 27th, 2010 06:26 PM

Hi Heimdall,
We went to Antiparos for a day-trip three years ago and promised ourselves we'd come back and stay here! So having done that, we loved it. Although even in June and on an off year for tourism, we thought it was pretty busy. Main street has become a "place to be", I'm afraid. I look forward to going there in May or early June when I retire from this teaching gig. We loved staying with Lillian at Mike's. Hope to see you there someday, Ruth