Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Greece Itinerary and Ferries - Suggestions needed!
Notices

Greece Itinerary and Ferries - Suggestions needed!

Mar 5th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Greece Itinerary and Ferries - Suggestions needed!

We are planning a trip in early June and have decided on 2 night in Athens, 3 nights in Mykonos, 4 nights in Santorini and 4 nights in Crete.

There are a few parts of the trip that we can not decide on (agree on!). Love to hear from people who have been to these places and what you suggest. My husband and I are in our late 20's-early 30's and want to experience the culture, beaches, night-life and history of Greece. We like to spend time exploring and seeing the attractions, but most of all we like to relax and go at our own pace.

- A suggestion was made to us to spend our first and our last night in Athens ensure we do not miss our flights and a stress free travel. Is this something that is common, or is it better to keep nights in Athens consecutive at he beginning or end of the trip?

- We can't decided whether we want to fly or take the ferry from Athens to Mykonos. Is the flight really worth the extra $$$?

- When in Crete, we are looking to stay in Rethymnon and renting a car to explore the island. Is there a ferry into Rethymnon port? I can only find ferries from Santorini to Crete arriving in Heraklion. If that is the only port, can we rent a car there and drive to Rethymnon?

If you have any other suggestions...we would love to hear them. Thanks so much! J & C
Mar 5th, 2011, 02:40 PM

It's wise to save your 2 nights in Athens for the end of your trip so you don't have to stress about returning to the mainland at the last minute for that flight home. Try to arrange your arrival at the Athens Airport so you can continue on to Mykonos that same day. You can take an Airport Express bus to the port of Rafina to catch a ferry to Mykonos that will not take as much time as those from Piraeus. If you're lucky you can catch a highspeed ferry that will take less than 2.5 hours. Or you can fly there in 30 minutes. Car ferries from Piraeus take as much as 7 hours. You have to decide if your time is more precious than your dollars.

Ferry timetables for the upcoming tourist season are starting to appear and will be available here: http://www.gtp.gr

According to www.nexferries.com in April 2011 NEX Ferries – a new Maritime Company at Chania – with two new catamarans, will connect Chania to Santorini, Ios, Paros, Naxos, Mykonos, Tinos, Folegandros, Sifnos, Kimolos, Milos, Kithyra, Antikythira, Monemvasia.

If this doesn't prove to be true you'll most likely have to take the one to Heraklion and get to Rethymon by bus or rental car.
Mar 7th, 2011, 11:25 AM

Jenn, I always like to plan at least one night in Athens at either end of my trip. It feels comfortable to have the extra time as I have a long-haul flight. Also, I want to pay homage to Athens at the beginning and end of my visit and there is no lack of things to do.
Your itinerary is a bit ambitious. Remember it will use up a half day in transit time between islands. Are you planning to fly back from Crete to Athens? The ferry from Santorini will take you into Iraklion and I recommend you take in Knossos while there. Personally my advice would be to drop Crete for this trip and use the days to spend more time in the Cyclades. Or, drop one night on Santorini and add it to Crete. Just a suggestion, but Crete is really a big island and you you'll spend lots of your time in the car. And yes, you'll need to rent a car in Crete. Your return to Athens from Crete by air (preferred) or ferry (very long) will be out of Iraklion.

Search this Thread