Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece Island Tours?? A good idea or bad?

Old Dec 2nd, 1998, 02:01 PM
Marianna

I am an experienced traveller and have been to Europe several time always "on my own" (ie. I have never taken a tour). However, as I plan for my trip to the Greek Isles for May, I am finding that I might save $$ by going through an tour agent and the hassle of island hopping is avoided. I don't want to lose the freedom that I'm used to by going through na agent, but at the same time, the convienance of using a tour agent is very appealling. I am visiting Greece for approx. 12 days. Spending 2 in Athens, 5 in Santorini and 5 on an island TBD. HELP? Your thoughts and advise are appreciated.

Old Dec 2nd, 1998, 05:33 PM
hamlet

It's very easy to go island hopping with the ferries. I don't know how much a travel agent or booking with a tour will save you. I don't think it's necessary, especially since you say you are an experienced traveller. Once on the islands however you may want to rent a scooter, a car or be prepared to take the local buses to really see the islands. As beautiful as Santorini is, you don't need 5 days there, unless you just want to relax and do nothing for a few extra days. Personally I would go to another island or spend more time on the mainland.

Old Dec 2nd, 1998, 07:30 PM
Howard

We are also independent travelers, averse to tours. My family stayed in Santorini for a week in 94 and loved it. We much preferred the idea of seeing one island in depth than have an "if it's Tuesday this must be Mykonos" kind of vacation, which we loathe. I think 5 days in Santorini is a nice amount of time. Rent a car or a moped--the island is fairly long, and can't be done on foot. That way you can see the smaller villages outside of Fira in a leisurely fashion. Don't miss Ia (touristy and beautiful), and we were fascinated by the non-touristy Pyrgos and Megalochori--the silences are awesome. All you hear are your own footsteps. The beaches at Kamari (black sand) and Perivolas (red) are very relaxing.
Do not miss the boat trip into the caldera--you climb the volcano at Nea Kameni (you can see steam rising from the rocks if you look closely), swim in a hot spring, have lunch on another island...an unforgettable day. Santorini wines (especially the whites) are wonderful, and I'm not a wine drinker. Plan to spend time just wandering. We loved Santorini, and never got to another island (next trip...) Have a great time!

Old Dec 3rd, 1998, 06:50 AM
Marianna

Can anyone recommend a second island that is accessable and close to Santorini via ferry? I would really like to visit two island but don't want to take a 24 hour ferry to another island. I would like to visit an island that's not overrun with tourist but one that off the beaten path. Thanks.

Old Dec 7th, 1998, 01:32 PM
debbiep

I suggest Mytilini (aka Lesvos) but it is not near Santorini. A beautiful island and undiscovered by tourists. It is large with plenty to do and see. Very cheap.

Old Dec 8th, 1998, 10:29 AM
marie

Try Andros, Naxos, or Paros. Get the Thomas Cook book entitled "Greek Island Hopping." It ranks the islands based on numerous factors.