Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Greece in Late-October (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/greece-in-late-october-462573/)

jlcl Jul 26th, 2004 11:48 AM

Greece in Late-October

I'm planning my first trip to Greece from mid to late October. I was told that some ferriers may stop running to neighboring islands around mid-October due to bigger waves & weather. Can someone confirm that for me as that's the only time I can take time off to go to Greece. How's the weather around late October? Is that a good time to visit Greece? Thank you.

yipper Jul 26th, 2004 04:16 PM

From the little I know, late Oct. should be wonderful. It will be cooler and not as many tourist. Some hotels and restaurants on the islands will be closed, but you should be able to have palces to stay and eat. I am not sure about he ferry schedule. Go to www.gtp.gr/ and put in the dates you need to travel and see what happens.

sheila Jul 26th, 2004 10:07 PM

We've been twice to Crete at that time of year and thought it wonderful.

Cooler evenings but otherwise fantastic.

cristine27 Jul 27th, 2004 12:56 AM

Hello jlcl!
Usually in October you won't have a problem with ferries due to weather.
Although as a greek i don't think October is the best period to come here. It may not be rainy or cold as north Europe but surely it starts to get cold here as well! Of course you may be lucky and have wonderful sunny days all the time!

gracieb Jul 27th, 2004 07:14 AM

cristine, when would you recommend a trip? I usually like to travel in May or Sept to avoid the summer crowds, but I do want sunny, warm days. Is summer too crowded in Santorini? What would you suggest?

GeoffHamer Jul 27th, 2004 07:25 AM

Bad weather can occur at any time of the year. The Greek government has imposed strict rules which keep even the biggest ships in port when gales are forecast, so sailings can be suspended for a day or two. October is a very good time to visit Greece (I've been there several times in October myself). All except the smallest islands have daily ferries scheduled, but you should be aware of the risk of cancellations, so the best plan is to return to the mainland (or an island close to the mainland) a couple of days before you have to leave Greece. The Saronic islands (Aiyina, Poros and Idra or "Hydra") are well sheltered so are a good choice to visit at the end of your trip - ferries there are very rarely cancelled.

Ouzo Jul 27th, 2004 04:29 PM

It depends which group of islands you are going to. Ferries to popular islands will be less frequent during October. The meltemi wind peaks around August in the aegean, you can of course get bad weather at any time in the year. The islands in the south aegean will obviously stay warmer longer say around Crete, Rhodes.

cristine27 Jul 27th, 2004 11:57 PM

Gracieb,
the weather nowadays is very unpredictable, and i don't mean only in Greece but in the entire world. Last summer west Europe was extremely hot while this year it's raining and the temperatures are pretty low in comparison.
For Greece if you want to visit the islands and swim i would suggest mid to late May, June, late August and September. These dates, everything is open at the islands, the weather is warm and there are tourists enough to enjoy yourself and feel the 'vibe' of the island without being overcrowded.

April or October can be wonderful too, BUT the weather may not be warm!! It all depends on what you like to do. For swimming it's cold, but for exploring the islands, or visit archeological sites etc, April, May, September and October are best because it's not very hot.

Ouzo Jul 28th, 2004 12:16 PM

Do not believe the above, Greece has a mediterranean type climate. Western europe covers a number of climate areas it's impossible to lump it all together. The information is easy enough to look up, surely this sort of thing is taught in schools.

cristine27 Jul 29th, 2004 11:51 PM

Ouzo,
everyone's entitled to his opinion.
It was MY personal opinion and advice i would give to a friend who would like to visit Greece and wants warm, sunny days. If you have other recommendations or advice, you can express your opinion but there is no need to underestimate mine.
Note: With the example about West Europe, i didn't mean that in Greece it may rain all summer! I meant that months like April or October can't be safe regarding the weather. It's certainly not cold but it may not be so warm for swimming etc. (Maybe i didn't express myself correctly...)

allanc Jul 30th, 2004 12:04 AM

We have been a number of times-both spring and fall. We much prefer late spring-May to early June. We find the people to be friendlier and the accomodation prices lower. I think some places tire of the tourist trade by Sept./Oct. and are desperate to close for the season.

gracieb Jul 30th, 2004 10:04 PM

Thanks. I do want to go in warmer weather. I usually like to travel in May or October. It sounds like late May might be best. I appreciate the input...and the OPINIONS!

OLSENBIO4 Aug 9th, 2004 02:43 AM

I will be in Crete on Oct 7th and need to get over to Santorini. So far, I have Not found a "ferry" scheduled for the day I'm wanting to travel. The crossings have been "cut back" considerably - we're looking at a flight with Aegean Air. Good Luck!