Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Greece in December? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/greece-in-december-592876/)

alwayzmile Feb 20th, 2006 05:31 PM

Greece in December?

Hi-
My sister and I have been going away for the week between christmas and new years for several years now. This time we went to prague, vienna and budapest. we had a great time and it was beautiful, but it was a bit cold, snowy and kind of nasty out.
We thought it would be a good idea to at least start thinking about next years trip. We realize there arent many places in europe where it would be warm in december, but from what i can tell, greece's weather isnt too terrible.
we are really just getting started and havent decided on anything, but i was hoping for any thoughts people might have about greece in late december. what the weather can really be like and how we would travel from place to place. (we would definitely want to go to athens, santorini and any other islands that are recommended). All advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
joanna

P_M Feb 20th, 2006 05:52 PM

Greece might be a little warmer in the winter than most of Europe, but that should not be your primary consideration. Your biggest problem with traveling to Greece in the winter is that so few places will be open because many people will close their businesses for the winter. This is not a problem in Athens, but it is true for the islands.

If you would like another suggestion, how about London? The weather won't be warm and sunny, but I think it will be warmer than your last trip. Also there are loads of indoor activities to keep you busy in London, and a gazillion day trips from the city.

brotherleelove2004 Feb 20th, 2006 06:43 PM

It will most likely be cold with some sun on the islands. The further south and east you go the warmer it'll be, making Crete and Rhodes your best chances for good weather. If you go to Santorini most of the tourist businesses will be closed, but there will still be hotels and restaurants open. In the main village of Fira you should still be able to enjoy yourselves, and you can use the bus system to explore the island.

Heimdall Feb 21st, 2006 12:49 PM

Check out the link I showed in the "Greece Beach Weather" thread. It will give you an idea of what to expect in Crete during December.

alwayzmile Feb 21st, 2006 02:14 PM

thanks for all of that information. sounds like we would be better off going some other time? i wouldnt want to miss anything...i did put up another post asking for other suggestions for a destination. so those are welcome too.
thanks again.

brotherleelove2004 Feb 21st, 2006 03:00 PM

Yes, try to go to Greece in May-June, it's the best time of year.

December is an excellent time to visit Thailand, specifically the islands off the west coast in the Andaman Sea, Koh Lanta, Koh Phi Phi and Koh Ngai.

Carolina Feb 21st, 2006 09:03 PM

Athens would probably be your best bet. You could take short trips from there as you wanted. Most tourist islands will be very quiet with little to do outside the main towns.
Carolena

dancerrus Mar 3rd, 2006 03:15 PM

I traveled to Greece (mainland primarily, not the Cycladic Islands) this January, and it was quite cold. We expected (and packed for) temperatures in the 50s, and it was primarily around 40 degrees with a wind. It was an unusually cold winter in Greece, but be aware that snow can fall (and did this year!) in Athens. It's great to see schools out for an inch, but it is chilly for sight-seeing. The islands, I know, are also cold. So if you are looking for warm, I wouldn't recommend Greece. But if you don't mind packing warm, this is a GREAT place to visit (especially with your previous travel experiences).

Kelli