Greece in August with kids

Feb 8th, 2019, 06:58 PM
sio
Original Poster

Greece in August with kids

Hello, I am reading some posts about Greece but am undecided about a few issues for an upcoming trip. I guess it will be easier if I start a new thread for help.

I went to Greece once almost 15 years ago. By then I went to Athens (with day trip to Delphi), Santorini and Crete.

This year, I am going back with 2 kids (aged 10 and 12) in August. My older kid wants to go there for history and ruins while the younger one is more interested in swimming and just to be around. I know August is not the best time to go but we have to stick to school holidays. We are currently planning to spend 15 nights (second half of August), with 3 to 4 changes of hotel. At this point, we haven't reserved air tickets but we have the choice of flying into and out of Athens or into Mykonos and out of Athens. Our option for air tickets will depend on whether we will go to Mykonos or not.

So, my biggest question is whether we should go to Mykonos. I know everybody is different but would like to listen to those who have experience/opinions about Mykonos for kids of my age at that time of the year.

If we go to Mykonos, I am thinking of Mykonos > Naxos > Santorini > Athens.

In case we don't, we will fly into and out of Athens and may consider going to Crete. But maybe we have to drop Naxos in order to have more time on Crete?

FYI, Athens and Santorini are places we want to go.

Thanks in advance.
Feb 8th, 2019, 11:25 PM

Lots of families with young children go to Greece in August for the same reason as you. August 15th is one of the biggest holidays of the year, when many Greeks head for the islands, so if you can time your flight for the weekend after the 15th you will be there when people are starting to head home. It will still be busy on the islands, though.

I don’t understand why you have the choice to fly only to Mykonos or Athens. There are lots of islands in the Ionians, Dodecanese, Sporades, and Crete that have international flights from other European countries, and the Cyclades have international flights to Santorini too.

Finding an island with both great beaches and important ruins won’t be easy. For example, Naxos has great beaches but only a few minor ruins, while Santorini has two very important archeological sites but not very good beaches. Perhaps a good combination would be Santorini for the Minoan ruins, and Naxos or Paros for the beaches. Paros has great beaches too, and wonderful island boat trips with Captain Ben Antiparos Lazy Day ? Daily cruises from Antiparos and Paros Greece ? Boat trip arround the island

There are two excursion boats, Alexander and Naxos Star, that do day trips to Delos/Mykonos and the beach islands of Koufonisi and Iraklia. They pick up passengers at Naxos first and drop them off last so you spend less time at sea from Paros.
Feb 8th, 2019, 11:26 PM

Lots of families with young children go to Greece in August for the same reason as you. August 15th is one of the biggest holidays of the year, when many Greeks head for the islands, so if you can time your flight for the weekend after the 15th you will be there when people are starting to head home. It will still be busy on the islands, though.

I donít understand why you have the choice to fly only to Mykonos or Athens. There are lots of islands in the Ionians, Dodecanese, Sporades, and Crete that have international flights from other European countries, and the Cyclades have international flights to Santorini too.

Finding an island with both great beaches and important ruins wonít be easy. For example, Naxos has great beaches but only a few minor ruins, while Santorini has two very important archeological sites but not very good beaches. Perhaps a good combination would be Santorini for the Minoan ruins, and Naxos or Paros for the beaches. Paros has great beaches too, and wonderful island boat trips with Captain Ben Antiparos Lazy Day ? Daily cruises from Antiparos and Paros Greece ? Boat trip arround the island

There are two excursion boats, Alexander and Naxos Star, that do day trips to Delos/Mykonos and the beach islands of Koufonisi and Iraklia. They pick up passengers at Naxos first and drop them off last so you spend less time at sea from Paros.
Feb 8th, 2019, 11:28 PM

Sorry for the duplicate posting. The website hung up and I retransmitted.
Feb 9th, 2019, 01:28 AM

I found Santorini to be more of a location which would be good for a couple or honeymooners for example. I didn't think it was a great spot for families when we went there with our two children (aged 10 and 8). As stated, there are no great beaches on Santorini and its also not the easiest island to get around on. That being said, the archeological site at Akrotiri was excellent and well worth a visit. Mykonos on the other hand was well suited for a family beach holiday with plenty of beaches to choose from depending on the wind direction. However, to be honest, the best beach/family holiday we've had on any Greek island was the 5 days we spent on Kefalonia. It is a real under-rated gem in my opinion. Either way, it's a good problem to have.
Feb 9th, 2019, 03:26 PM
sio
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.

I am looking at a connection through Doha and the only ones to Greece that are of interests for this trip are to Athens and Mykonos. To fly to another Greek island, I will have to make another connection through Athens or I will have to connect through an European city, which is much more expensive.

I am not expecting to spend a lot of time on the beach on this trip since that's not our purpose of going to Greece. I just need some "off" time for the younger one because she is not into history or ruins. On the other hand, I am trying to minimize ferry rides because she is prone to seasick.

I will be happy to hear more ideas. Thank you.
Feb 9th, 2019, 04:20 PM

With three kids we went to Nafplio for three days in August. Relaxing spot with a couple of beaches. And itís fun climbing the steps up to the castle.
Feb 11th, 2019, 02:49 AM
sio
Original Poster

I read somewhere that it is cheaper and safer (in case of strikes/delays of ferries/domestic flights) to reserve hotels with local travel agencies. Is that true?
Feb 11th, 2019, 03:28 AM

There are hardly ever any strikes in August, the month when Greeks themselves take their summer holidays. That said, it's best to avoid non-refundable bookings when choosing hotels. It's still possible that a severe storm could stop all ferry travel for a day or two as happened last September with the Medicaine, but that is exceedingly rare.

I usually book directly with the hotel, and you can find their own websites with a Google search when you scroll down past the first entries which are usually booking engines. If you do want to book with a travel agency, book with a Greek based company, e.g. https://www.fantasytravelofgreece.com

Last edited by Heimdall; Feb 11th, 2019 at 03:36 AM.
Feb 11th, 2019, 01:42 PM
sio
Original Poster

Thanks. I am now looking at the possibility of flying into Mykonos (3 nights), ferry to Naxos (4 nights), ferry to Santorini (4 nights) and fly back to Athens (4 nights, with a day trip to Delphi). Do you think I should add 1 more night to Mykonos and cut it somewhere else since it's the first stop and we will be tired.

Can you please recommend some areas and hotels in each of these places? I don't expect to spend more than 300 euros each night.

Thank you.
Mar 2nd, 2019, 05:58 AM

Split your time between The South Peloponnese and Rhodes, with a few days at the end of your trip in Athens.
Mar 2nd, 2019, 07:32 AM

A suggestion from local

Mykonos for August never... I do nor really know your income but in mykonos you need 40eur each sunbench so for 4 person 200 eur without even water and moreover you cannot even find one. You need to have booked sundbenches dinner everything. Santorini is beautiful but no beaches... If you go visit kanari beach and Imba restaurant (sundbenches and food) On the other hand Athens is empty this period. It is the best period ever. I would propose if you go to Athens on 15th then everywhere else. You see this period is locals vacations and all islands are full. Besides beaches in Athens this period are perfect
Do not forget in Athens to watch a theatrical performance of Ancient Drama.. Perfect and this year it is going to take place in City of Athens City center... Fimonoitheater (the site is coming soon)
Please feel free to ask anything you need for Greece
Mar 2nd, 2019, 07:35 AM

A suggestion from local

Kanari not kanari
Mar 2nd, 2019, 10:47 AM

Elpida has some good advice. Athens empties in the middle of August when everyone who can goes away for the Aug 15th Assumption Day holiday, and most end up on the islands. By the last week of August many are returning home, and that’s my favourite time for the islands. If you spent the first week in Athens you could go to Delphi, and then to the islands when it is slightly less busy.

By the way, even though most of my trips have been to the islands, I always fly in and out of Athens. From there it is easy to get a flight or ferry to Paros or Naxos, two islands that are quieter than Mykonos and Santorini, cheaper, and have better beaches. I like Mykonos too, but like elpida would never go there in August. You could still go to Santorini from either Paros or Naxos, then a flight or ferry back to Athens the day before your return home.
Mar 2nd, 2019, 06:12 PM
sio
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations. Unfortunately, at this point, I have booked my flights and I cannot change them anymore! In any case, I will have a look at the recommendations for Athens!
Mar 2nd, 2019, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by elpida View Post
Santorini is beautiful but no beaches... If you go visit kanari beach
Itís Kamari Beach and it is a nice beach for swimming, has pebbles and clear water. Perivolos Beach/Perissa is also pretty good. The beaches might not be as good as other islands but to say there are no beaches is misleading.
Athens in August might be empty but will be very hot, spending time in a very hot city is not appealing although there are beach resorts nearby eg Glyfada, Vouliagmeni etc.