Greece - Honeymoon itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our honeymoon in Greece at the end of July for 10 nights. Below is our tentative itinerary. Would appreciate and feedback on the islands and hotels. Thanks !

Also, we were wondering if we should go to Rhodes instead of Crete?

1 night at the ELECTRA PALACE in Plaka area of Athens
2 nights at the NAXOS ROYAL in Naxos (sea view room)
3 nights at the SANTORINI PRINCESS in Santorini (honeymoon suite with sea view )
1 night at the LATO in Heraklio town of Crete
2 nights at the CASA DELFINO in Chania town of Crete
1 night at the ELECTRA PALACE in Plaka area of Athens
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 08:21 AM

Sorry just to make it clear for myself

Athens - 1 night
Naxos - 2 nights
Santorini - 3 nights
Crete - 3 nights
Athens 1 night

Looks good to me. Just keep in mind that ferry trips can be long (Athens - Santorini can be 7 hours). So you ahve to factor this into your plans. For a short trip though, you might consider flying for some of it (Athens - Santorini, Crete - Athens). Aegean is currently having cheap fares. Check it out at www.aegeanair.com.

You can get ferry schedules at www.gtp.gr. Just remember that all the times for the summer may not be posted yet.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 11:03 AM

txchick:

We are doing a similar itinerary in May with a group of our friends( 15 to be exact!). Although I have not been there yet, information I got from here ( thanks brotherleelove in particular) and the assistance I have from my friend who is Greek and happens to be a travel agent who works so well with me, we are just going to Athens, Santorini and Crete all divided equally into 3 nights each. In addition to save soem time, we are flying from Athens to Santorini, but we are taking a hydrofoil from Santorini to Crete so we can be on the water once.

We are also lodging at the Electra Palace and Casa Delfino( in Santorini we are staying at Katikies Suites). From what I have read ( and I've read ALOT!!!), you might consider staying at Casa Delfino the entire time in Crete. We are too going to the Palace of Knossos and other historical sites around Iraklion, but I am so glad to be staying in one location in Crete. Not to mention that I would much rather tool around Chania at night than Iraklion. You can get to Iraklion and environs by car or public transport from Chania and return to Chania after your visit. From what I learned so far, this way is so much more appealing to me and we all can't wait to stay at Casa Delfino!!

Just a thought... ( but like I said, I have not been there yet myself, thought I'd just put me 2 cents in!)

I'll post a trip report in time for your trip in July so I can assist you with any ? you may have.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!!!!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:44 AM

Hello fello Texan,
Looks good, but seems quite a lot to cram into 10 days due to the amount of packing up, repacking, and waiting for ferries, taxis, planes, etc. that would be involved. Maybe just stay at 1 hotel in Crete?

I agree that the flights might be a better idea than ferries considering that you are wanting to travel to 4 different destinations.

I planned a trip for mid-April and used Nadia at Fantasy Travel (www.fantasy.gr)to help find ferries, hotel rooms, etc. and she found schedules better deals than I could have ever found on my own (I tried!!).

Have a great honeymoon!
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:43 AM

We honeymooned in Greece almost 2 years ago and had a ball. Congratulations. I think that staying in one place in Crete and flying home from Crete could be a more relaxing option (you could do an open jaw ticket flying into Athens and out of Crete). The one thing you can't underestimate is how tired you'll be after the wedding! So maybe 2 days in Athens to get over jet lag and explore in a relaxed way and then onto the rest of your trip. We did Athens, the northeastern Pelopponese and Santorini (oia) and LOVED it. Have fun.