Greece Honeymoon Itineraries

Jun 15th, 2017, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Greece Honeymoon Itineraries

I'm planning my honeymoon (early 30s, enjoy some adventure/exploring/nightlife/beach) and have sketched out Athens + Santorini/Paros/Mykonos. Some will probably say that is a full itinerary but we get restless and enjoy seeing new places. I sketched 2 options below. Please let me know your thoughts and if these are realistic/doable/enjoyable.

August 6 (Sunday)
Depart JFK at 5:14PM

August 7 (Monday)
Arrive Athens at 10AM

Option 1: Depart Athens at 11:55AM, Arrive Santorini at 12:45PM (flight)
Option 2: Head to downtown Athens, Arrive 11:30AM

August 8 (Tuesday)
Option 1: Santorini
Option 2: Athens

August 9 (Wednesday)
Option 1: Santorini
Option 2: Boat at 7AM Athens to Mykonos, Arrive at 9:45AM

August 10 (Thursday)
Option 1: Santorini to Paros 3:30pm-6:45pm (by boat)
Option 2: Mykonos

August 11 (Friday)
Option 1: Paros
Option 2: Mykonos -> Paros (7:10-8pm by boat)

August 12 (Saturday)
Option 1: Paros
Option 2: Paros

August 13 (Sunday)
Option 1: Paros->Mykonos (Morning, 10:35-11:25 by boat)
Option 3: Paros

August 14 (Monday)
Option 1: Mykonos
Option 2: Paros->Santorini (11am-2pm by boat)

August 15 (Tuesday)
Option 1: Travel Mykonos to Athens (2:55-5:25pm by boat, 8:15-8:50 by plane)
Option 2: Santorini

August 16 Wednesday)
Option 1: Athens
Option 2: Santorini

August 17 (Thursday)
Option 1: Athens
Option 2: Santorini ->Athens (9:15-10pm by flight)

August 18 (Friday)
Fly Athens to JFK (2:25PM)
Arrive JFK (6:24PM)
Jun 16th, 2017, 06:07 AM

Experienced travelers to Greece will suggest you head out to your first island immediately on arrival in Athens. Leave Athens to the end of the trip.
Why?
Because Athens is a culture shock. It is different from what we are used to. It is hectic and hot and dusty and simply foreign. It can be overwhelming when you arrive jetlagged.

Getting over jet lag on an island is the way to go. Its gentle and slow paced. Doing the islands first allows you to acclimatize yourself to how Greece works and means you will be ready to enjoy Athens at the end.

Second reason is stuff can happen to transportation plans, strikes, mechanical issues, storms. We were on a flight delayed 4 hours and there were US, Brits, French and south Africans all madly trying to rebook their flights because they missed same day connectors back home. It just makes sense to eliminate that risk and finish your trip in Athens.

So option 1

By the way on August 10 I am pretty sure that there is an earlier ferry to Mykonos than 3. One of the Highspeeds or Championjets will do that route earlier and faster. There is nothing worse than having to check out of your hotel and put in time waiting for a ferry then essentially losing half a day making that ferry hop. If you can get to your next island earlier that is always going to be the best option.
Jun 19th, 2017, 11:51 PM

Definitely Option 1, better leave Athens at the end of your trip! stanbr is right, you don't want to risk missing a ferry or a bad weather and miss your flight back home...
Jun 21st, 2017, 08:55 PM

Just to let you know, in case you're not aware, the week leading up to 15th August is THE busiest holiday week in Greece, when Athenians especially, travel to the islands.

In addition, Santorini & Mykonos are, in my opinion, the busiest, most expensive (ie overpriced)islands in Greece! Paros is heading that way.

Hotels will be very booked up already & very expensive.

IF you prefer to avoid full places, then it may be worth you telling why you have chosen those islands, in case there are others more suitable to your desires. Or if you could delay by just 2-3 weeks that would help you.
Jun 28th, 2017, 11:05 PM

I totally agree with jwugg. This period is really crowded. I would say that you should also prebook your ferry tickets, especially the one from/to Athens. It's really difficult to find ferries on that days.

And finally I agree that keeping Athens for last is better!
Jun 30th, 2017, 07:01 AM

Just wanted to say hello and that my husband and I will be in Greece at the same time as you (July 30-Aug12). We are doing: Santorini, Naxos, Nafplio and then ending our trip in Athens. I've had tons of great feedback and suggestions on this site. I would encourage you to look into visiting the island of Naxos... maybe instead of Mykonos.

Anyway- happy travels!